Need a new iPad

Sundancer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Sundog
My iPad 2 is past it, as far as upgrades - looking for advice on replacing it, and I'm ForeFlight committed. . .

Will tether, so don't need cellular, and will be using a Dual bluetooth GPS. A cursory look at the current, assinine naming conventions, it appears the iPad Air 2 is the lgical replacement. Is it?

Again, for FF use, as a direct replacement for my iPad 2. FF is my primary IFR navigator, with a G-530 for backup and for approaches. Also, not using a yoke mount. . l

Get last years iPad 9.7inch w/cellular through your service provider since they’ll incentivize the purchase. I put mine in a life proof case. Trust me you won’t regret it.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/

I had a 4th gen iPad that met its unfortunate fate with the floor of an FBO one day. Since it got replaced I’ve greatly enjoyed the subtle extras:

1. Since it had more storage I was able to download ALL the possible charts, plates, and other extra offline data for ForeFlight.

2. Mine came from Verizon so it got added to my account with service. I have grown to love the fact that my iPad is now always connected and independent. No need to tether. Just open up the iPad and hit file wherever I am without extra time consuming steps and quirks.

3. I like using my fingerprint to quickly unlock it.

4. ForeFlight works a little faster for some tasks.

Also I know you said you don’t want cellular but the built in GPS in the cellular model works pretty well. You’d be eliminating the need to carry extra stuff with you. iPad? Check. Headset? Check. PPM? Good to go!

iPad 9.7” is your best option at this point. The new iPad Pro 11” is awesome (and physically the same size as the 9.7”, but with more screen real estate). That said the iPad Pro is pricey.

Get the new iPad 9.7, just called iPad now. Good deal on them, you will be impressed with the new screen. Fits perfect on my piper yoke between the hand grips. I don't get the smaller is better crowd logic. Would you want a smaller MFD? Take an Aspen over a G500? Garmin d2 watch over a G5? point being is you don't appreciate the real estate until you don't have it.

Get the new iPad 9.7, just called iPad now. Good deal on them, you will be impressed with the new screen. Fits perfect on my piper yoke between the hand grips. I don't get the smaller is better crowd logic. Would you want a smaller MFD? Take an Aspen over a G500? Garmin d2 watch over a G5? point being is you don't appreciate the real estate until you don't have it.
I like my iPad Mini on the yoke of my Arrow because my full size iPad obstructed engine instruments. It’s also a convenient size for use at home. For some people, it’s the right answer. But the trade off is indeed less screen real estate. I have to zoom in to read the minimums on approach plates, for example.

I misplaced my Mini 2, and it's looking like I misplaced it for the last time so I went with the 10.5" Pro for $699 Black Friday. To go with my new lifetime FlyQ. The Pro is said to have the best daylight-readable screen?

Last edited:
I replaced my iPad 2 with whatever I’m typing on now but for the life of me, I can’t tell you what it is other than a generation 6 iPad. WTF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I also prefer the ipad mini on the yoke of my arrow. Its the perfect size and I wish Apple would make a new mini.

The ideal would be an iPad mini with full screen real estate like the new Pros. I keep hoping they will do that.

I have an iPad Pro 9.7” that is great, but a bit big in the cockpit. An iPad Mini 4 would work fairly well... but now that ForeFlight has added synthetic vision to the iPhones (Pro Plus and above plans), my iPhone X works pretty well for my needs. That should allow me to keep my iPad Pro in the map pouch until I need it.

Sometimes the iPad mini just fits better. If I tried to put a full size iPad on the yoke it would be cumbersome and get in the way. I think I’m doing ok in the “screen real estate” department, even with the mini.

Modified engine/prop? Looks like the stock tach gauge only goes to 2500 RPM.

Nice panel btw.

I'm in the exact same boat...iPad 2 and finding out it is getting glitchy because not supported anymore (no reason except forcing new purchase) and apps don't work.

And like you I have only ever used mine as tethered.

What I was wondering, lots of the new iPads still don't have 4g. Not a big deal if you only use it tethered, but what I don't know is if you buy a sim for the iPad, is it the same price and conditions as if it were a telephone or is there some kind of deal since it isn't actually a phone?

or is it the same exact kind of subscription?

I use the iPad 9.7”. Perfect size for me. I bought the cellular version off of eBay new. Good deals on there. In fact I bought two ( one back up that I keep at home). The cellular version gps is adequate. But I don’t use mine as a primary flight tool.

Sometimes the iPad mini just fits better. If I tried to put a full size iPad on the yoke it would be cumbersome and get in the way. I think I’m doing ok in the “screen real estate” department, even with the mini.

View attachment 69656

Eheghmmm..... disregard my screen-estate comment. $100k in glass is enough.

The ideal would be an iPad mini with full screen real estate like the new Pros. I keep hoping they will do that.
I just wish the Mini and Pencil would work together. Scratchpads are pretty useless without palm rejection, and that’s on the ground. In turbulence, they’re just a silly waste of UI buttons.

I just wish the Mini and Pencil would work together. Scratchpads are pretty useless without palm rejection, and that’s on the ground. In turbulence, they’re just a silly waste of UI buttons.

I don’t have a mini but I do use the scratchpad and a rubber tipped stylus for clearances in the air and on the ground. A solid mounting in the right position is the key for me. Took a lot of work in my experimental and it’s not always possible.

I don’t have a mini but I do use the scratchpad and a rubber tipped stylus for clearances in the air and on the ground. A solid mounting in the right position is the key for me. Took a lot of work in my experimental and it’s not always possible.

Do you have a picture of your mount? I am working my way toward a side by side experimental with a stick so it will be an experiment to figure out which iPad to use and where to put it.

I agree, but selfishly I hope they do it like the new 12.9" which retains the same screen size, but the device itself is smaller. The mini is large enough if you can mount it close to you.

Last edited:
I would prefer a new Mini sized for flying. I use the Air2, it works fine. But I fear the larger iPads would just be too big for some cockpits. The Da-40 gets crowded enough with 2 x200lbs in the front seats.

Thanks all. . .iPad, 9.7 inch, I think, then. And use my Android cell as a hot spot - A military aviator family member isn't knocked out by the built-in GPS on the cellular model - reporte it as rarely, but occasionally, flaky. My Dual has been solid, and I aleady have it. Nothing else extra to carry, and the Dual is smaller than half a deck of cards.

I'm in the exact same boat...iPad 2 and finding out it is getting glitchy because not supported anymore (no reason except forcing new purchase) and apps don't work.

And like you I have only ever used mine as tethered.

What I was wondering, lots of the new iPads still don't have 4g. Not a big deal if you only use it tethered, but what I don't know is if you buy a sim for the iPad, is it the same price and conditions as if it were a telephone or is there some kind of deal since it isn't actually a phone?

or is it the same exact kind of subscription?
I think cell carriers will sell you a data plan for your iPad or tablet, usually without a contract, when I last looked quite a while back. Cost was dependent on the amount of data you want, of course.

And take two 1-a-day vitamins within 24 hours

iPad 9.7” is your best option at this point. The new iPad Pro 11” is awesome (and physically the same size as the 9.7”, but with more screen real estate). That said the iPad Pro is pricey.

The ipad 9.7 is cheaper and does not have a antiglare screen. These are horrible and you will not be able to see the map in the sun. I have the 10.5 pro and the antiglare screen is fabulous. The 10.5 pro stays at the airport and is my GPS.
I am looking at the new pro 11 or the larger one for the house now.
The Pro is money well spent.

I agree, but selfishly I hope they do it like the new 12.9" which retains the same screen size, but the device itself is smaller. The mini is large enough if you can mount it close to you. View attachment 69664

Yes that’s what I was alluding to. The new iPad Pro 11” is virtually the same size as the 9.7” iPad, but the 11” has much more screen real estate

The ipad 9.7 is cheaper and does not have a antiglare screen. These are horrible and you will not be able to see the map in the sun. I have the 10.5 pro and the antiglare screen is fabulous. The 10.5 pro stays at the airport and is my GPS.
I am looking at the new pro 11 or the larger one for the house now.
The Pro is money well spent.

Yes Captain!

Yes that’s what I was alluding to. The new iPad Pro 11” is virtually the same size as the 9.7” iPad, but the 11” has much more screen real estate

I was unclear about the (admittedly arcane) distinction:
-The new 11" iPad Pro, as you say, is the same size as the older 10.5" iPad Pro, but with a larger screen.
-The new 12.9" iPad Pro has shrunk the size of the iPad, while keeping the same size screen as the previous 12.9" iPad Pro.

I hope Apple makes a new Mini with the same size screen as the current Mini, but with a smaller form factor (shrink the iPad itself, like they did on the new 12.9") as opposed to keeping the form factor and increasing the screen size (like they did on the new 11".) I barely have enough room in the plane for the current Mini, I'd like it to be a little bit smaller, but with the same size screen.

But who knows, the prevailing wisdom is that Apple may discontinue the Mini entirely. Guess I'll have to get a larger plane in that case.~

I was unclear about the (admittedly arcane) distinction:
-The new 11" iPad Pro, as you say, is the same size as the older 10.5" iPad Pro, but with a larger screen.
-The new 12.9" iPad Pro has shrunk the size of the iPad, while keeping the same size screen as the previous 12.9" iPad Pro.

I hope Apple makes a new Mini with the same size screen as the current Mini, but with a smaller form factor (shrink the iPad itself, like they did on the new 12.9") as opposed to keeping the form factor and increasing the screen size (like they did on the new 11".) I barely have enough room in the plane for the current Mini, I'd like it to be a little bit smaller, but with the same size screen.

But who knows, the prevailing wisdom is that Apple may discontinue the Mini entirely. Guess I'll have to get a larger plane in that case.~

Ahh yea I meant to say 11" is same as 10.5" (although I compared the 11" to the 9.7" in store and it ain't far off that either).

Yea I agree that would be good.

I too would prefer a same screen mini but due to the proximity of the mini to the larger Iphone I almost bet the screen will grow keeping the same form.

Did you forget to remove the remove before flight pin?
Manufacturer now recommends leaving pin in parachute handle, it's more dangerous to have rocket go off by mistake. Red flag has been replaced since photo was taken.

Manufacturer now recommends leaving pin in parachute handle, it's more dangerous to have rocket go off by mistake. Red flag has been replaced since photo was taken.
What was it replaced with? "REMOVE BEFORE FREEFALL"? :)

Ahh yea I meant to say 11" is same as 10.5" (although I compared the 11" to the 9.7" in store and it ain't far off that either).

Yea I agree that would be good.
I have measured the iPad vs. the current Pro 11 ( I am still trying to talk myself out of getting on). The pro is about 1/2 inch more on the wide axis and about 1/4 inch on the narrow. I also felt it is thinner and a hair lighter than the vanilla iPad.

The screen is nicer on the Pro. The pro has the screen just below the glass, you can not see any separation. The iPad has a visible gab between the exterior glass and th screen. So the Pro screen feels closer and does not have any parallax error. The colors seemed more vibrant on the Pro and there was less glare in the store but certainly there was a small amount. The more screen realestate is noticable.

Also the new Apple pencil is nice and sticks via magnets to the edge of the iPad. So there is no need to carry note paper or pens, and once you stick thr pencil to the side is sticks well. I doubt it would wonder around the cockpit.

Only knock I really have against the Pro 11 for personal use is I hate that they removed the 3.5 mm headphone jack. Also if you have any old Apple adapters they will not work (without adaptors) as the Pro uses a USB C port and not a lightening port.

As for a new Mini, I highly doubt we will ever see one. The current is about 3 years old, and as others have said the large phones have gotten very close in screen size. I have also heard that Apple is likely to kill it completely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have measured the iPad vs. the current Pro 11 ( I am still trying to talk myself out of getting on). The pro is about 1/2 inch more on the wide axis and about 1/4 inch on the narrow. I also felt it is thinner and a hair lighter than the vanilla iPad.

The screen is nicer on the Pro. The pro has the screen just below the glass, you can not see any separation. The iPad has a visible gab between the exterior glass and th screen. So the Pro screen feels closer and does not have any parallax error. The colors seemed more vibrant on the Pro and there was less glare in the store but certainly there was a small amount. The more screen realestate is noticable.

Also the new Apple pencil is nice and sticks via magnets to the edge of the iPad. So there is no need to carry note paper or pens, and once you stick thr pencil to the side is sticks well. I doubt it would wonder around the cockpit.

Only knock I really have against the Pro 11 for personal use is I hate that they removed the 3.5 mm headphone jack. Also if you have any old Apple adapters they will not work (without adaptors) as the Pro uses a USB C port and not a lightening port.

As for a new Mini, I highly doubt we will ever see one. The current is about 3 years old, and as others have said the large phones have gotten very close in screen size. I have also heard that Apple is likely to kill it completely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No doubt about it - the iPad Pro knocks the iPad out of the water. Not even in the same league (which makes sense based on the price point). If I had $1000+ to spend on an iPad I would buy the Pro.

I think it is FANTASTIC that Apple is going to USB-C, which will be and has been the universal connector for virtually everything else. I don't have any lightning specific adapters right now (other than chargers), so that isn't a big deal.

The headphone jack...you know...I thought that was a stupid move when they first did it. Honestly though, once you've bought a decent set of wireless headphones/earbuds, it is hard to go back to wired. I remember going to the gym with my wired Bose earbuds. Always getting in the way, smelled like sweat and rubber, etc. Lol.

DUDE! I didn't know the new Apple pencil is magnetic. That would be awesome for the cockpit! I always thought it would be really nice to have a magnetic pen like my Surface Pro 2 has.

Now if only I had $1100 to blow...

Back