Bally's Bomber: 1/3rd scale B-17

fasteddie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Fasteddie
As I was taking a break at the show yesterday, I started poking around on my phone, thinking about what else I wanted to see. Ended up on YouTube, and saw a video for the Bally Bomber.

https://www.facebook.com/BallyBomber/
http://www.theballybomber.com/

It's a human-piloted, 1/3rd scale B-17. Built by one man over a period of almost two decades.

I'd seen mention of this plane here and there, but didn't know it was going to be at Oshkosh. Knew I had to go see it.

However, for the life of me, I couldn't find out where it was. The AirVenture app wasn't very helpful. Poking around the net some more, I finally got a general idea of where it would be. It was in the "Replica Fighter Area," which I didn't realize was a thing. It was on Knapp St, just North of the EAA Blue Barn, near Forums Plaza.

It was incredible to see up close, and the builder (Jack Bally) was out there taking questions.

Wanted to post the info here, since I know a lot of folks will want to see it.

It is pretty cool. Amazing craftsmanship and dedication. I just sincerely hope he doesn't end up dead in it someday. I have no idea how well it handles an engine out.

I saw it, albeit briefly. Bizarre to see a B-17 that is dwarfed by the onlookers. Really impressive model, er, aircraft. But man, what would it be like to fly!?

It was a real treat when I happened upon this plane at Airventure.

There’s an article about it in Kit Plane magazine’s online news. It says the builder chose the Hirth F30 engine because it was the only one small enough to fit in the cowls.

It is pretty cool. Amazing craftsmanship and dedication. I just sincerely hope he doesn't end up dead in it someday. I have no idea how well it handles an engine out.
Well, you have three still turning. You could always feather the one in the same position on the other side if there isn't enough rudder to keep it straight, and it would probably still at least maintain altitude. Lots of full size B-17s returned with at least one engine InOp. Of course, they had four engines to lift the bomb load, and on return the bombs were away, so the plane was a lot lighter.

I think it’s for sale now. POA flying club?

Taking offers starting at $275K. But it has four ring-dings for power.

Ring a ding = 2 stoke.
Hirth engines, not reliable, even for a 2 stroke. Under powered, props won’t feather, no Sir, not for me.
Yes, it has flown, barely

Not sure the expense is worth owning a 4 engine, single seat airplane.

It is, however, quite the accomplishment, and the workmanship is stunning. I see it in the EAA museum someday......soon.

Good looking airplane. Not sure I would like to own it.

Ring a ding = 2 stoke.
Yes, it has flown, barely

Flew from Illinois up to Oshkosh, and flew during the show at least one day, IIRC.

Think that qualifies as more than "barely."

Flew from Illinois up to Oshkosh, and flew during the show at least one day, IIRC.

Think that qualifies as more than "barely."
Well, Illinois borders Wisconsin, so it wouldn't have to be such a long flight. I'd be more interested if it had four-stroke power plants. I was a bit taken aback when first seeing this: I always had a dream to built a two-seat Connie replica!

Back