Old airplane resale values

Then don't drop $100k, drop $50k...I had nearly double the cost of my plane saved, when I bought mine, just to be sure I wouldn't worry about selling in a year.

But you're talking to some people who rent money for everything in life as a matter of principle ("carpe diem", "YOLO", "pensionless generation", pick your platitude), so the concept of undershooting total acquisition costs is not in their vernacular. You might be talking to a wall when you proffer the "fly below your means" bit, sentiment which I happen to share with you and live by.

I will admit though, in the interest of not being labeled a hypocrite, that I rather finance or not fly at all, than deal with the opportunity costs of co-ownerships. I'm a control freak like that. Now get off my lawn. :eek::D

I will admit though, in the interest of not being labeled a hypocrite, that I rather finance or not fly at all, than deal with the opportunity costs of co-ownerships. I'm a control freak like that. Now get off my lawn. :eek::D
Same

If 1962 isn't old what is?

I’d say 1930 and older.

Just the tech and handling.

I mean a 1962 C172 has more in common with a 2018 C172 than different

I would say airplanes made in the 40's are old. After that they are pretty similar to "modern" airplanes.

62221cbd-ce2d-4c59-9566-11904de0c789-jpeg.69547

It is a blast.

You just can’t put a price on that smile!

One thing I’d add, the lowest cost to own planes and least time in the shop in my experience have been 1940s planes.

We are all wild azz guessing. OK, '62 182. 182 or Skylane? What exactly "glass panel"? How's the paint? The upholstery? Oil filter mod on the engine? Large or small oil cooler? How old are the fuel bladders? Ten million questions and without knowing how much we are talking about and what is the actual condition of the aircraft we are just taking rectorandom guesses.\

Jim

And perhaps the least flown?

Not at all, heck during my PPL I don’t remeber ever missing a flight due to mx, and that was in a 7AC

Later building hours in my different 1940s plane it was pretty smooth sailing

We are all wild azz guessing. OK, '62 182. 182 or Skylane? What exactly "glass panel"? How's the paint? The upholstery? Oil filter mod on the engine? Large or small oil cooler? How old are the fuel bladders? Ten million questions and without knowing how much we are talking about and what is the actual condition of the aircraft we are just taking rectorandom guesses.\

Jim

It ended up selling for full asking price to someone else, so the discussion is moot

It ended up selling for full asking price to someone else, so the discussion is moot

Frankly, I'm surprised you're privy to that knowledge, especially in this world of "$1 + OVC" paranoids. As I said before, people are buying at the top of the market, and perhaps that too is a moot point for those who want it now. Their monkey their circus indeed.

I got a good one for you :)

1942 STEARMAN • $105,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • 1942 PT-27 Stearman with Continental R-670 220 HP. Airframe was fully disassembled, inspected and recovered in 2015 with Ceconite fabric. Times are close but flown weekly 3750TT airframe, 390 SMOH and 90 since all 7 cylinders replaced with new. September 2018 Annual and prop overhaul. Spin on oil filter, Jasco alternator and Redline brakes. No avionics except for handheld radio. This is a very nice, solid and well flying Stearman. Take a look at Brenham Texas 11R. $105,000 • Contact Shawn R. Hendrickson located Brenham, TX USA • Telephone: 979-451-3251 • Posted November 16, 2018 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

Frankly, I'm surprised you're privy to that knowledge, especially in this world of "$1 + OVC" paranoids. As I said before, people are buying at the top of the market, and perhaps that too is a moot point for those who want it now. Their monkey their circus indeed.

Well, that’s what the seller told me. I was gonna offer him $95k, certainly wasn’t going to try to beat $115k

I got a good one for you :)

1942 STEARMAN • $105,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • 1942 PT-27 Stearman with Continental R-670 220 HP. Airframe was fully disassembled, inspected and recovered in 2015 with Ceconite fabric. Times are close but flown weekly 3750TT airframe, 390 SMOH and 90 since all 7 cylinders replaced with new. September 2018 Annual and prop overhaul. Spin on oil filter, Jasco alternator and Redline brakes. No avionics except for handheld radio. This is a very nice, solid and well flying Stearman. Take a look at Brenham Texas 11R. $105,000 • Contact Shawn R. Hendrickson located Brenham, TX USA • Telephone: 979-451-3251 • Posted November 16, 2018 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

No idea if that’s a good deal or not, but it’s a beautiful airplane

Back