Any Rutan Long EZ Pilots?

Had an RG-XL fly over my house today... I was in lust.....Does that count? I actually would have bought a Velocity but the insurance per year was quoted at almost $5k.... I was like, NOpe, Nope, Nope.... Well, maybe..... Uh, Nope.

Haha, its a sibling to the Long EZ

I’d call a Cozy a sibling since it’s design was is essentially similar to the Long and approved by Burt. The Velocity is more like a distant cousin.;)

Last edited:
I haven't been lucky enough to fly a Long EZ yet, but man the Velocity is a fun plane. If it's anything like that, I'd love to own one.

A Vari-eze or Long-eze were my first choices for building my plane. Unfortunately, Mr. Rutan had shut down his homebuilt company long before I had the opportunity to act on my desires. I'm still pretty happy with the Tango though.

With todays modern structural foams, epoxy resins, carbon fiber, vaccume bagging, etc. it would be awesome to see someone reengineer Rutans planes to take advantage of the modern composits.

There is an A&P at Butler County Airport (my home airport) that has a long ez, a Cozy, and a dragonfly (I know the dragonfly isn't a Rutan design, but was based on the Quickie). Not sure which ones he has built, but he has done a lot of work to them and flys them all.

I am sure I can ask him some questions as I don't think he is on any forums.

Always liked the Long EZ. I would still like to build a Long EZ, KR2S, Dragonfly/Q2/Q200, or one of the other plans built plastic fantastics.

Dick Rutan has a real nice Berkut with an inconspicuous paint job

mini-IMG_6609.jpg

Always liked the Long EZ. I would still like to build a Long EZ, KR2S, Dragonfly/Q2/Q200, or one of the other plans built plastic fantastics.

What!!?? Tired of flying around in a near supersonic egg already? :)

If my home airport had a longer runway, I'd have a LongEZ in the hangar.

Classic. I’ve got it on DVD.

I was out mowing a couple of months ago when I saw one of the variants. I turned the mower off and watched it zip by. A neighbor saw me and I'm sure he thought I was nuts, but man, that plane was moving. It flew directly overhead and couldn't have been in sight more than several seconds. The only time I've ever seen one in person.

There is a guy at KDVT (my home base) who has one. See him flying around my parents house quite often. Thing hauls the mail.

Imagine landing engine out at about that speed with no pavement around:eek::eek:

No thanks, especially considering this description of the landing:

"Norm was intoning height above the runway as I willed the airplane down the last 5 feet. It was an interesting balancing act between me, the trim springs and an airplane that I knew would dart at the runway if I released any back pressure but would be all too happy to balloon if I increased angle of attack a fraction of a degree. I just kept working at it until the mains thumped on. The nose stayed in the air until I tried to gently lower it, at which time, it decided it had had enough and dropped to the ground as if relieved the flight was over."

Back