Where can I get ethanol-free mogas

woxof

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
woxof
In Canada, we can use 91 octane Shell V-power which is ethanol free. Someone told me that there is no ethanol free car gas in the US. Is this true?

Thanks

In Canada, we can use 91 octane Shell V-power which is ethanol free. Someone told me that there is no ethanol free car gas in the US. Is this true?

No.

As @RangeRider said, the best place to go looking is pure-gas.org (and they do have an app), but as that is crowdsourced there are also countless places that aren't in it.

As a general rule, avoid bigger cities by at margin of at least 30nm... But don't assume that just because you're away from a city the gas has no ethanol. Lots of different rules in lots of places.

I would also suggest testing the fuel before you put it in the airplane. No fancy Sporty's tester thing required - Just get a gatorade bottle, fill it half full with water, mark the water level, then fill the rest with fuel from the pump and mix well. Let the water settle back out, and if there now appears to be less water, the fuel has ethanol and you shouldn't use it. If it settles out with the same amount of water as before, you're good.

Finally, don't assume that just because the pump says "ethanol free" that you're OK. We have a lot of pumps where the hose is shared between all grades of fuel, and if any of the other grades have ethanol, the first gallon or so that you pump will be whatever swill the guy before you bought.

Really, it's probably easiest if you simply refuel at airports that sell mogas on field. It'll probably cost a little more, but it's a lot less of a headache too.

Quite often, areas around lakes where pleasure boats are operated have stations where you can buy ethanol free gasoline. There are a number of stations near me that have 90 AKI ethanol free. It's made and distributed by Marathon Oil.

I've been running it here in the US for a couple of years...my O-320 likes the lower lead (typically I mix it with 100LL already in my tanks). As @flyingcheesehead said, you have to test it, every time. I always test, and one time I did find ethanol. I'm fortunate to have a gas station right near my field that sells it (and its cheap too, but that's not why I use it).

Thanks

Someone told me you Canadians call fried bologna “bacon.” Is this true?

Not true. There’s a handful of gas stations here that have it and they advertise it as ‘100% gasoline’ or just ethanol-free depending on the grade.

Certainly not at this end of Canada. Bacon is bacon. Fried bologna is fried bologna.

And boat gas is ethanol-free premium mogas here.

Thanks
no...

Florida has plenty of non e gas. Used mostly by boaters.

It depends on the state. Ethanol free mogas is not available in CT, period. I've seen it at some gas stations in NY.

Luckily, we have pure gas available at gas stations just about everywhere in OK. Unfortunately, I don't know of any mogas at an airfield within 100 miles of me, which makes me very sad. I buy most of my airplane gas from the gas station down the street.

You have Canadians confused with Okies. Canadians don't fry bologna.

Many Stewart Shops in NYS have no ethanol 91 Octane. It’s not a dedicated pump, so I usually put the first gallon or two in my truck, before filling my 5 gallon cans. I also use a Mr Filter at both ends. So far, so good.

Many QuikTrip gas stations around me (Kaneas City area) have ethanol free, but I'm not sure of the octane. A couple of our local airports carry mogas. It isn't hard to find where I am, but you do have to look for it.

Don't assume that once you get out of the city there isn't going to be EtOH in the gas. I was out in the middle of podunk Iowa and found the regular was more expensive than the high test. I scratched my head a bit before I realized the regular had no ethanol and the high test did.

Many Stewart Shops in NYS have no ethanol 91 Octane. It’s not a dedicated pump, so I usually put the first gallon or two in my truck, before filling my 5 gallon cans. I also use a Mr Filter at both ends. So far, so good.

Same, minus the Mr. Filter.

My question is where can I get gas free ethanol.??

I mean I like the idea of pulling up to a pump and buying gas free ethanol by the gallon....

Don't assume that once you get out of the city there isn't going to be EtOH in the gas. I was out in the middle of podunk Iowa and found the regular was more expensive than the high test. I scratched my head a bit before I realized the regular had no ethanol and the high test did.

I think that's the law in Iowa. The mid-grade *always* has ethanol, no matter where in the state you are. I think it's also subsidized, because it's usually about the same price as the low-grade.

If you really wanted to find Ethanol free gas you could do THIS or look HERE.

The pure-gas link was already posted early in the thread. Twice.

Noah Werka said:

I must be such an incompetent reader that I missed two references to the site that were not highlighted as clickable links. I am so sorry I posted, and possibly offended somebody, a clickable link to Pure-gas.org. I will refrain from further posting on PoA until I feel I have attained the high reading and comprehension standards set by the mods and users of this esteemed site. I have been hesitant to post references to sites that can possibly provide the answer to the inquiry by the OP because whenever someone post a link in a thread that has been already posted, they are ridiculed and reminded of their shortcomings by some holier than thou poster by pointing out the fact that a link to a particular site has already been posted. Not to fret though, every forum that ever existed has members that do the same. You are in good company. My only hope is the mods and members of PoA don't feel offended by this post thinking it may turn political and delete it, or ban me.

Noah W

Iowa is a corn state; I noticed the same thing. Heck, E85 is almost free there.

Noah Werka said:

I must be such an incompetent reader that I missed two references to the site that were not highlighted as clickable links. I am so sorry I posted, and possibly offended somebody, a clickable link to Pure-gas.org. I will refrain from further posting on PoA until I feel I have attained the high reading and comprehension standards set by the mods and users of this esteemed site. I have been hesitant to post references to sites that can possibly provide the answer to the inquiry by the OP because whenever someone post a link in a thread that has been already posted, they are ridiculed and reminded of their shortcomings by some holier than thou poster by pointing out the fact that a link to a particular site has already been posted. Not to fret though, every forum that ever existed has members that do the same. You are in good company. My only hope is the mods and members of PoA don't feel offended by this post thinking it may turn political and delete it, or ban me.

Noah W

IBTL

We had it as children; you can buy it at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati, big thick slices.
In some parts of Baltimore you get your hotdog with a piece of (thinner) fried baloney wrapped around it.

You have Canadians confused with Okies. Canadians don't fry bologna.
No, but their bacon is not the same as our bacon. Their bacon is more like ham.

I would also suggest testing the fuel before you put it in the airplane. No fancy Sporty's tester thing required - Just get a gatorade bottle, fill it half full with water, mark the water level, then fill the rest with fuel from the pump and mix well. Let the water settle back out, and if there now appears to be less water, the fuel has ethanol and you shouldn't use it. If it settles out with the same amount of water as before, you're good.

You have that backwards, Kent. Water absorbs the alcohol so there will appear to be more water, not less.

Bottom line is if the water level is different, put the gas in your car.

Noah Werka said:

Noah W

Looks like you are getting the hang of this place.

;)

Thankfully I can get regular ethanol-free gas at the gas stations near me. I test every load I buy and have yet to get ethanol by mistake.

I bought almost 60 gallons this weekend while calibrating a fuel quantity system in a Cessna 182, paying around $2.59 a gallon.

Yeah, because people who are trying to be helpful always post LMGTFY links. :rolleyes:

You have that backwards, Kent. Water absorbs the alcohol so there will appear to be more water, not less.

I thought the alcohol absorbed the water? :crazy::rofl:

Bottom line is if the water level is different, put the gas in your car.

This. Maybe pour the water out of it first, though. ;)

Back