New Wannabe here

Fallsrider

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fallsrider
I don't know if this is the correct forum, but I wanted to introduce myself. I have always dreamed of getting my PPL, but have not succeeded so far. I'm looking at retirement in 12 years or so, so that's my new goal. What better way than to enjoy retirement.

Reading about the experiences and adventures you guys have is enough for now. I look forward to following along.

i haven't noticed before but there's no particular introduce myself forum so sure this will do. Hi!

(Not that I'm saying there should be. I never read those things)

Welcome.

Just jump in! Don't take the crazies around here (that includes most of us) too seriously.
And if you happen to be retiring in 12 years from being a judge on a court bench, we could probably use your dispute settlement skills on occasion. ;)

What kinda flyin' ya thinkin' about doing? Back country tail wheel? Fishing off the floats? Building a plane? Cross country rocket ship so you can visit the grandkids?

Welcome Fallsrider! Go for it! If a knucklehead like me can do it, you certainly can!

Welcome. You don't have to wait for retirement, when there's a will, there's a way! Good luck to you.

Around retirement was my timeframe as well. I was advised (warned) that it would likely take more hours to ticket at that age.....indeed it did.
Hang in there

Welcome,retirement is not a bad time to get started,after all everyday is Saturday,when your retired.

You should get your medical out of the way now, then you will be eligible for basic med. You never know what the future holds with your health.

I don't know if this is the correct forum, but I wanted to introduce myself. I have always dreamed of getting my PPL, but have not succeeded so far. I'm looking at retirement in 12 years or so, so that's my new goal. What better way than to enjoy retirement.

Reading about the experiences and adventures you guys have is enough for now. I look forward to following along.

Welcome to the asylum, er forum. I just passed my checkride < 4 weeks from my 57th birthday. If you have the desire, time and $$$ you can do this. Also check out the Pilot Training section it's good to understand what other people are going through on their journey.

Welcome.

Just jump in! Don't take the crazies around here (that includes most of us) too seriously.
And if you happen to be retiring in 12 years from being a judge on a court bench, we could probably use your dispute settlement skills on occasion. ;)

What kinda flyin' ya thinkin' about doing? Back country tail wheel? Fishing off the floats? Building a plane? Cross country rocket ship so you can visit the grandkids?
Not quite a judge. I build houses for a small builder. Can't help you with disputes!

Not having any experience yet, I can see some combination of putzing around locally, some vacation trips of 3 or 4 days, an occasional longer trip, etc. Nothing exciting like backcountry or tail dragger.

Welcome

Welcome to the asylum, er forum. I just passed my checkride < 4 weeks from my 57th birthday. If you have the desire, time and $$$ you can do this. Also check out the Pilot Training section it's good to understand what other people are going through on their journey.
Good for you. That's great!

Retirement: Some get a motorcycle, some collect cars, some boats. Some dump a pile of money in an RV and cruise... but the cool people, the really cool ones... we fly!
We do camp on the cheap...'95 travel trailer pulled by '05 Suburban. But I agree that flying will be far cooler.

Buy a horse, then sell the horse and start flying. Flying will no longer seem expensive. Problem solved. And welcome!!

I seriously want to give it a try. But, wow, is it expensive.
It sure is, but I bet you can figure out a way. I got my ppl in my 20s, right after moving out of my parents house (I’m now 51). It was expensive then too, and I didn’t have a lot of money, but I made it a priority. There’s several things you can do to make it cheaper, like buying block time,or joining a club. I’m sure others will have more money-saving tips too.

Last edited:
I would rather not wait until then, but flying is one expensive activity.
Welcome and there's one preliminary thing you need to do. Take a demo ride to see if you actually like it.

Welcome and there's one preliminary thing you need to do. Take a demo ride to see if you actually like it.
I took one lesson after college, and have flown in probably a half dozen Cessnas since. Loved every minute of it. I have no doubt I will like it!

I Got my PPL at age 55. I retired a few years earlier. It was also something that I had always wanted to do. I was at a car show at the local airport and mentioned it to the wife. I never did it while I was working, either due to time or money. She asked what was stopping me now. I started that Monday.

It is expensive, but so are a lot of hobbies. I try to use the plane for travel as much as I can. And I get brownie points for taking the wife and her friends on short trips. I’m a hour away from Key West, it would be over 5 by car.

You can get started relatively cheaply by studying the ground materials and even taking the exam (with a ground school endorsement from a gleim, King or similar). Then start taking flight lessons (where the bulk of the costs are). But from my experience, I offer this: Once you take to the skies, you’ll find a way to economize and make the lessons work.

Welcome!

I Got my PPL at age 55. I retired a few years earlier. It was also something that I had always wanted to do. I was at a car show at the local airport and mentioned it to the wife. I never did it while I was working, either due to time or money. She asked what was stopping me now. I started that Monday.

It is expensive, but so are a lot of hobbies. I try to use the plane for travel as much as I can. And I get brownie points for taking the wife and her friends on short trips. I’m a hour away from Key West, it would be over 5 by car.
It is encouraging to hear others' experiences. What plane do you have, or do you rent?

I am in a similar position. It is a 4 to 5 hour drive to the Outer Banks. But something like an hour by plane, depending on the speed I look at. Sounds like a fun day or weekend trip to me.

Spare $$$.

This is the suggestion I like to make regarding the financials of primary flight training. Following this plan will ensure that lack of funds isn't the reason that keeps you from training. And this plan also works to avoid getting you into any debt.
  • Plan for ~$9000.00, plus or minus for regionality. This can include aircraft rental, supplies, testing fees, books, etc.
  • Do what is necessary to fill up your money bucket to at least 60% to 66% of the total funds required or budgeted.
    • This includes taking on additional hours at work, part time jobs, neighborhood handyperson jobs, mowing dogs, walking lawns, house sitting, etc.
    • Hold a garage sale. You might be able to get as much as 10% of your funding uncluttering your house.
    • Do anything legal that increases your income
  • Once you have 60% to 66% of the money, open the tap at the bottom of your bucket and start training.
  • As you deplete money from the bottom of your bucket, continue to work the extra income jobs to add to the top of the bucket.
  • If you finish with money left over in the bucket, plan for a celebratory flight with your sweetie to a really nice dinner.

It is encouraging to hear others' experiences. What plane do you have, or do you rent?

I am in a similar position. It is a 4 to 5 hour drive to the Outer Banks. But something like an hour by plane, depending on the speed I look at. Sounds like a fun day or weekend trip to me.

I own a Beech Debonair, I bought it just before I took my checkride. I bought a older plane with older avionics, but it looks good and flys great. I’ve gone on many long cross country’s using my iPad for navigation. I also have a garmin 660 now for backup, and I can always tune in the vor if needed.

I’ve had the plane now for 6 years, I initially looked at 172’s, pipers, and Mooney’s, but started looking at Bonanzas and ended up with this. It will probably be my first and last plane.

I fly 75-100 hours a year and it cost between 12k-13k per year for everything, hangar included. Don’t tell the wife. I’m a VFR pilot so I don’t have subscriptions to pay for except foreflight. I also will be looking at spending 2-3k on adsb out soon.

Go find a bunch of old farts (at an airport, then tell us about in online) and ask them if they want help working on their home builds.

That will get you some stick time, maybe even with an instructor.

Back