Commercial multi done!

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
finished up my commercial multi rating today. Interesting fun day. Did the training in a BE-55 Baron. It was 35 degrees out with a density altitude of minus 100 so single engine performance was pretty spectacular. Nothing particularly difficult other than fighting some SEL habits like adding power for taxi which isn’t needed. Recovering from a VMC demonstration takes a different mind set as well. I had the urge to pitch first then pull the power off.

The only hitch to the day was coming in for my first single engine approach there was a pa-28-140 off the side of the runway up on an embankment. It was a student pilot that was signed off to solo to KSIF from the Roanoke VA area to see family for thanksgiving. He had come out for the day to do some practice and was planing to head back Sunday. Said he lost control on a touch and go. He was alright for the most part. Face was pretty cut up from smashing the glare shield and compass. We drove him to the hospital to be checked out and talked to the FAA and NTSB. Left the airplane where it was at since it was clear of the runway and continued on with training and Checkride. NTSB said they would interview the pilot but didn’t have any plans to come examin the wreckage.

Other than that great day of freezing my butt off and signing another mile stone off in my log book.

9BC148DD-24A3-4766-8220-64E3E604A85C.jpeg

Congrats. Horrible for the student pilot.

Good for you! Bummer about the student. Do CFIs normally sign students off for touch and go’s?

Good for you! Bummer about the student. Do CFIs normally sign students off for touch and go’s?

I think it’s up to the instructor. The guy said he had been doing them. I never did but that was more to do with the airplane I was flying than the CFI.

Congrats on milestone!

As for the Cherokee, looks like he lost it on landing when looking at the skid marks coming off the Rwy... and that massive dent in the leading edge of the right wing.....

Congrats! Way to go! Woohoo! :cheers: :rockon:

I love added ratings. Unfortunately I seldom use mine. I need to dust of my multi as I haven’t flown a twin in six or seven years. Heck, it’s been two years since I’ve used my ASES. I’m in a ASEL rut. :sigh:

Congrats on milestone!

As for the Cherokee, looks like he lost it on landing when looking at the skid marks coming off the Rwy... and that massive dent in the leading edge of the right wing.....

Speculation of course but after talking with the guy and looking at the airplane the first clue is that he still has full flaps out and he said he had applied takeoff power. We are thinking he built speed quicker than expected and the main wing lifted and was riding on the nose wheel when it started turning left from engine tq. Who knows though. Guy was pretty embarrassed.

finished up my commercial multi rating today. Interesting fun day. Did the training in a BE-55 Baron. It was 35 degrees out with a density altitude of minus 100 so single engine performance was pretty spectacular. Nothing particularly difficult other than fighting some SEL habits like adding power for taxi which isn’t needed. Recovering from a VMC demonstration takes a different mind set as well. I had the urge to pitch first then pull the power off.

The only hitch to the day was coming in for my first single engine approach there was a pa-28-140 off the side of the runway up on an embankment. It was a student pilot that was signed off to solo to KSIF from the Roanoke VA area to see family for thanksgiving. He had come out for the day to do some practice and was planing to head back Sunday. Said he lost control on a touch and go. He was alright for the most part. Face was pretty cut up from smashing the glare shield and compass. We drove him to the hospital to be checked out and talked to the FAA and NTSB. Left the airplane where it was at since it was clear of the runway and continued on with training and Checkride. NTSB said they would interview the pilot but didn’t have any plans to come examin the wreckage.

Other than that great day of freezing my butt off and signing another mile stone off in my log book.

View attachment 69423
Congratulations! I am working on my single engine commercial, and plan to do multi engine right after. I have a question about the requirements for commercial multi....... do I need to meet the cross country requirements for multi engine commercial if I have already met all the requirements for single engine? The FARs have gotten hopelessly confusing on this. Thank you!

Congratulations! I am working on my single engine commercial, and plan to do multi engine right after. I have a question about the requirements for commercial multi....... do I need to meet the cross country requirements for multi engine commercial if I have already met all the requirements for single engine? The FARs have gotten hopelessly confusing on this. Thank you!

If you Have your SEL Commercial, the only requirement for Multi comm add on is 3 hours checkride prep

Speculation of course but after talking with the guy and looking at the airplane the first clue is that he still has full flaps out and he said he had applied takeoff power. We are thinking he built speed quicker than expected and the main wing lifted and was riding on the nose wheel when it started turning left from engine tq. Who knows though. Guy was pretty embarrassed.

That was my thought too looking at the photo. That is the number one reason I don't like my students doing touch and goes. Way to easy to forget something trying to reconfigure while rolling 60 mph down the runway. Trust me, I tried to kill myself once as a student pilot by taking off with 40 degrees of flaps in a Cessna 150.

Back