Sealing hangar doors

SOB8604

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
OB
Just got into a nice T Hangar. Its great except for that there is about a 2-3” gap under the two horizontal sliding doors and along the vertical edges, I’m not looking to seal it up water tight but is there any reasonably priced solutions to add some sort of trim or weather sealing around these edges to cut down on the wind and dirt /leaves that come in with it?

Any hacks/tricks or products out there that work? I do live in snow country so winter time ice would have to be contended with. Thanks!

Head over to the local big box hardware store and pick up the rubber/whatever stuff used on the bottom of garage doors. You may need to rivet or sheet metl screw it tomthe bottom and edges of the doors. Another option is 2-3 in wide corrugated or flat aluminum, again using sheet metal screws. Downside of the rubber gasket is that it can tear if frozen to the ground.

They make brush sweeps if you want to keep leaves/dust out. Water is going to be more involved.

My hangar doors had 1-2" gaps on the sides. I wrapped the door edges with larger sized foam pipe insulation, zip tied in place (there are frequent small holes in the door edge angle iron that I zip tied through). Worked like a charm.

They make brush sweeps if you want to keep leaves/dust out. Water is going to be more involved.

That's pretty much what I'm going for, it rained out pretty good the other day, and aside from a little bit by the front edge, it was bone dry. So for me the goal is keeping the leaves and dust out.

My hangar doors had 1-2" gaps on the sides. I wrapped the door edges with larger sized foam pipe insulation, zip tied in place (there are frequent small holes in the door edge angle iron that I zip tied through). Worked like a charm.

I'll take a look at that, may be the trick for the vertical edge, thanks.

That is probably the cheapest solution. Another cheap material might be Fun Noodles. You can get them in black, which would probably stand exposure to sunlight the best. OTOH
the pipe insulation comes pre-slit lengthwise, which would make installation easier.

Dave

I found a couple of 4" truckers ratchet straps on the highway. Then used self drilling bolts and attached it along the bottom of each door.
Worked pretty good. Truckers are required to dispose of any strap that has visible fraying or cuts. They will usually give you a couple if you have a truck yard around.

My T-hanger doors have a gap to account for the first heave in the winter months and to avoid having them freeze to the pad. I ended up with a low tech route of using 4x4’s with blue foam board attached to them to place along the inside gap of the doors to stop the blowing snow, driven rain, etc. Not a pretty option but it works

My T-hanger doors have a gap to account for the first heave in the winter months and to avoid having them freeze to the pad. I ended up with a low tech route of using 4x4’s with blue foam board attached to them to place along the inside gap of the doors to stop the blowing snow, driven rain, etc. Not a pretty option but it works

Thanks, something I hadn’t even considered was something seperate from the door to just place there

Back