Why are you a pilot?

After a stint in the service, I werked construction for several years. Didn't care for it. Said "Self, there has gotta be something else to do with my life:confused2:." Being I became too lazy to werk and too scared to steal, I became a :cool:pilot and got lots of girls, made lots of :cool:money and traveled to a lots of :cool:neat places. Then the gummint said ooh, ooh, you gotta quit:eek2:...you are too old:sad: to haul people through the sky in prefabricated tubes with things sticking out the top and sides at high rates of speed. So, I quit.:happydance:

Noah W

Sounds like you werked it.

I took my discovery flight because I was terrified of flying and thought the discovery flight would help me get over it. It didn't, but once we got high enough in the plane to be above the thermals and I got to fly I was hooked. It was still terrifying at the time but there was a feeling about it that I couldn't quite put my finger on, like humans were supposed to fly and we'd just forgotten how. It was almost a year before I started my training, and I started my training at a different school. Now I do it because I have these odd silk scarf dreams about exploring the world from the air.

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/learning-to-fly-all-about-priorities/#.W-3leCdRfVo

Rolls. Seriously, aileron rolls. And split esses (Split Ss?). And canopys. It seemed flying was just a supreme form of freedom.

Even tried to roll a 150 as an idiot solo student. I had read all about it. Ended up 1500 feet lower, 90 degrees off original heading, and scared spitless. At least it discouraged me from attempting the loop I had in mind.

FSDO lurkers: it occurred a bit north of Hemet-Ryan in SoCal, 45 years ago, after a mock dogfight with another 19 year old moron. Didn't do it again until we git into T-34s.

Did anyone answer "So I can join PoA and North Texas Aviators!" yet?
<- He's cracking himself up this morning.

ok honesty time.

I wanted to be a commercial pilot as a 16 year old, found out the hard way that if you wear corrective lens in India, you cant be a pilot. well there is like 1.2 billion people over there and lot of people that dont wear glasses , so guess demand and supply. didnt think about being a pilot for 20 years.

moving to US, it crossed my mind a few times, but had health issues -->> my fault of being overweight and not doing anything about it + life got in the way.

Also wanted to SkyDive and found out that i am waaaay overweight for it, so woke up one morning in 2015 and decided to shed 100 lb, took me a year, but did it. most health complications went away, did the SkyDive and found out i am better off staying inside. went for a discovery flight, didnt like it. the dumb young CFI did a lot of crap like accelerated stalls , zero G and 60 degree banks to show off.

went back and enrolled in Nov of 2016 and found out the hard way that i am not a natural at this thing called flying. I have a fear of fall / banking whatever it is and it took forever to get over it. So why did i stick around? on my fifth flight, as i was coming back to the airport asking myself why on earth am i doing this, i saw a rainbow, right in front of me and I will never forget that sight. i have seen rainbow before, including a 2 rainbows (dual rainbow? not sure what its called, it was one over another) over a field in Yellowstone which was majestic, but this was different. this rainbow was under me, it was something i never saw and could never see again unless i am flying.

journey to PPL wasnt the smoothest ride but i am glad i stuck to it. for me, there were 2 achievements:

1. getting over my fear. Dont get me wrong, its not like it just disappeared one day. every now and then when it gets too bouncy up there, the daemon comes out, i put it right back in the cage, where it belongs. i appreciate that something it trying to keep me alive by telling me its better to choose flight over fight, i choose the later one.

2. i get to experience and see things that i could never, ever see if i didn't flew.

in search for the next rainbow...

below is a pic of the rainbow in YT (its a screen grab from a video). i dont have the picture of the rainbow i saw while flying, but i will never forget it

upload_2018-11-16_11-19-14.png

^^^ awesome story! Thanks for sharing that.

When I was growing up, lots of my friends' dads were fighter pilots. I wanted to be one as well, but my vision disqualified me from consideration as a military pilot and Lasic wasn't a thing yet.

Years ago I was working on a project in Napa near the airport. One day I figured what the hell, I'll just go over to the flight school and sniff around a bit with no serious intention of taking lessons. Then next thing I knew, I was sitting in front of a large cardboard photo of a 172 cockpit getting briefed on the control functions, then I was up in a 152 getting my first block of instruction. I flew 2-3 times a week and did ground school at night. A few months later, I walked away with a temporary certificate.

Rolls. Seriously, aileron rolls. And split esses (Split Ss?). And canopys. It seemed flying was just a supreme form of freedom.

Even tried to roll a 150 as an idiot solo student. I had read all about it. Ended up 1500 feet lower, 90 degrees off original heading, and scared spitless. At least it discouraged me from attempting the loop I had in mind.
This is where RC flying would have helped; loops are easy in almost any aircraft, rolls not so much.

Flying RC I discovered that sloppy acro is easy and gets boring fast. The first real challenge is landing with precision and consistency, just like the real thing. Then what do you do?

Picked up RC soaring and started to enjoy sailing the skies.

Flying ‘real’ aircraft, I went through the same process.

Always a sailplane pilot at heart.

I think Dad was working at either Boeing or Cessna when I was conceived, and some of that aviation dust got in my DNA. My older brother and I built a lot of plastic models that hung from a string across our bed room. When I got older, I flew some U-Control, and a little bit of both free flight and RC growing up. I was always excited when something I made actually flew.

I put aviation aside for awhile for college and to start an engineering career.

Later, when an airline flight from KS to CA was delayed because of fog, I decided I could have made it faster in a Cessna, and started flying lessons. Now, I know when an airliner is grounded because of fog, you'd better wait, too. But, that rekindled my passion, and its been a part of me ever since.

Because you cant be EOD with one eye and being color blind, but seriously some people are just called to greatness.

Ever since I was four I wanted to be a F-105 pilot when I grew up. Unfortunately the F-105 is no longer in service and I never grew up. Don't know why I wanted to be a pilot, just always have.

I was always fascinated by planes. My journey was a long one in earning my wings. Started out after H.S. as an enlisted man in the USN. Worked as an AD (aviation machines mate) 4 years active. After leaving the Navy I enrolled in the University of Illinois in there mechanical engineering program. That to was a long journey, took me 6 years. Enlisted in the USNR when I was in college and spent 10 years working on the P-3B.

Obtained a position with a Finnish company that manufactured underground mining equipment. Bought a house and finally started to save money toward my dream of flying. My work moved me 3 times in 2 years. I flew with 4 flight schools in that 2 years and had 8 CFI's. I finally received my PPL in Spearfish SD, (I was 40 by that time) while I was working underground at Homestake gold mine in Lead, SD.

That was 23 years ago. Still working underground at one of the largest producing silver mines in the US, Greens Creek Mine, Juneau, AK.

Flying my slow, but comfortable Beech B-19 Sport for 22 years. It's annual time for me so I'll be headed to the airport shortly to open up the Sport and start my 22nd annual. Earned my A&P along the way as well 1998.

Safe flying everyone and have fun..:)

ok honesty time.

I wanted to be a commercial pilot as a 16 year old, found out the hard way that if you wear corrective lens in India, you cant be a pilot. well there is like 1.2 billion people over there and lot of people that dont wear glasses , so guess demand and supply. didnt think about being a pilot for 20 years.

moving to US, it crossed my mind a few times, but had health issues -->> my fault of being overweight and not doing anything about it + life got in the way.

Also wanted to SkyDive and found out that i am waaaay overweight for it, so woke up one morning in 2015 and decided to shed 100 lb, took me a year, but did it. most health complications went away, did the SkyDive and found out i am better off staying inside. went for a discovery flight, didnt like it. the dumb young CFI did a lot of crap like accelerated stalls , zero G and 60 degree banks to show off.

went back and enrolled in Nov of 2016 and found out the hard way that i am not a natural at this thing called flying. I have a fear of fall / banking whatever it is and it took forever to get over it. So why did i stick around? on my fifth flight, as i was coming back to the airport asking myself why on earth am i doing this, i saw a rainbow, right in front of me and I will never forget that sight. i have seen rainbow before, including a 2 rainbows (dual rainbow? not sure what its called, it was one over another) over a field in Yellowstone which was majestic, but this was different. this rainbow was under me, it was something i never saw and could never see again unless i am flying.

journey to PPL wasnt the smoothest ride but i am glad i stuck to it. for me, there were 2 achievements:

1. getting over my fear. Dont get me wrong, its not like it just disappeared one day. every now and then when it gets too bouncy up there, the daemon comes out, i put it right back in the cage, where it belongs. i appreciate that something it trying to keep me alive by telling me its better to choose flight over fight, i choose the later one.

2. i get to experience and see things that i could never, ever see if i didn't flew.

in search for the next rainbow...

below is a pic of the rainbow in YT (its a screen grab from a video). i dont have the picture of the rainbow i saw while flying, but i will never forget it

View attachment 69225
If we really want to do something then nothing can stand in our way.
Your story must be very Inspiring for those who have doubts whether they can do it or not.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville, FL, and it was a hotbed of naval aviation during and after WW2 with NAS Jacksonville, NS Mayport, NAS Cecil Field, and NAAS Green Cove Springs all nearby. While in junior high school I spent weekends at Herlong Field (HEG) raptly listening to pilots swapping war stories, and building balsa "stick models" of P-51 Mustangs, F4U Corsairs, Supermarine Spitfires, and lots of other WW1 and WW2 fighters. When I enlisted in the Air Force after high school and got assigned to my first PCS at Vandenberg AFB, one of the first things I did was join the base aero club and start taking flying lessons. My CFI was a C-130 pilot who taught me "seat-of-the-pants" flying. It wasn't until I got transferred to Hill AFB, UT that I finished my PPL training at an Ogden FBO (the Hill aero club had just been shut down) and passed my check ride 54 years ago on September 11, 1964.

So, why? I simply love it, but more practically it's because I'd much rather spend 3 hours flying from Oakland to Palm Springs and arrive fresh and relaxed instead of 9 hours on I-5 and I-10 in stop-and-go traffic and arrive exhausted and ready for a Scotch and Water.

Last edited:
Why did you become interested in aviation?
I could write a novel on this.. but in one word -> FREEDOM

When I am in the air, especially alone, it is at that point I feel the most free and directly n control of my existence.. and I get to do that while enjoying the beauty of the world from above. There's something so peaceful and beautifully haunting about that.

Where else will I get a view like this? (taken just a few days ago coming back to MYF from SBA)
upload_2018-11-18_21-16-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-18_21-14-44.png
    upload_2018-11-18_21-14-44.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Aerobatics. I've done them in a very limited manner, but any exposure to them I love. No one wanted to teach me spins so on my solo XC I spun the 150 aerobat a few times from 6kft decided I can recover from those decided to do some aileron rolls figured out quickly how to not lose too much altitude and how to keep load off the wings so roll rate wasn't as garbage. I didn't try a loop mostly cause I didn't trust myself to maintain enough energy over the top. To hit 120 kts I had to be about 20-30 degrees nose down and my few 3ish g pulls up to +30+45 degrees seemed to yield too much airspeed loss to get over the top without stalling in my 25 hours newbie experience.
So I'm working on being a commercial pilot to hopefully make enough money to get into something high performance.

After i start making some money I really need to get some acro instruction from a professional who can get into the aerodynamics of why stuff is happening.

Then the gummint said ooh, ooh, you gotta quit:eek2:...you are too old:sad: to haul people through the sky in prefabricated tubes with things sticking out the top and sides at high rates of speed. So, I quit.
What did you fly?

I could write a novel on this.. but in one word -> FREEDOM

When I am in the air, especially alone, it is at that point I feel the most free and directly n control of my existence.. and I get to do that while enjoying the beauty of the world from above. There's something so peaceful and beautifully haunting about that.

Where else will I get a view like this? (taken just a few days ago coming back to MYF from SBA)
View attachment 69298

Damn low wing ruining the view.

:D;)

Freedom indeed.. i have found the freedom in the mountains and oceans, now I look for the freedom in the skies. I also just want to spend money on another cheap,non time consuming habit.

I am, therefore I fly
I fly, therefore I am.

My short story:
1st real flight at age 10 in a DC-3 from Long Beach to Catalina and back. Subliminally hooked. Before that (and after), flew upside-down lawn chairs, climbing, diving, dog-fighting, and periodically crashing. Enlisted in the Navy, applied for flight training and was accepted. Washed out on physical. As an E-3 just out of boot camp, had 3 interviews with an Admiral in Pensacola. He was trying to find out how in Hades I ever got there, and who he was going to blame for it. Cleaned the barracks latrines for several months as punishment, running to the windows/doors every time the fighters flew over. Started flight training on my own at Millington NAS while in electronics training (I was going to show that Admiral a thing or two! I later divined that he didn't care). Transferred to San Diego, where I obtained my PPL. Lots of interruptions to flying time as I spent time overseas. Worked with drone helicopters that the Navy wouldn't let me fly, even though I was the only licensed pilot on the ship. Eventually came back to the States and took to the skies once again. Took my soon-to-be-wife flying on our 1st date. Flew us to Lake of the Ozarks for our honeymoon. Many other memorable flights also. Lucky enough to be able to buy an airplane (Grumman Tiger). Got my CPL, instrument, and glider ratings. Stopped flying suddenly in 1983. 35 year hiatus. Now active again in a Light Sport airplane. Wife still trusts whatever re-constituted flying skills I may have. Lucky me.

I am, therefore I fly
I fly, therefore I am.

My short story:
1st real flight at age 10 in a DC-3 from Long Beach to Catalina and back. Subliminally hooked. Before that (and after), flew upside-down lawn chairs, climbing, diving, dog-fighting, and periodically crashing. Enlisted in the Navy, applied for flight training and was accepted. Washed out on physical. As an E-3 just out of boot camp, had 3 interviews with an Admiral in Pensacola. He was trying to find out how in Hades I ever got there, and who he was going to blame for it. Cleaned the barracks latrines for several months as punishment, running to the windows/doors every time the fighters flew over. Started flight training on my own at Millington NAS while in electronics training (I was going to show that Admiral a thing or two! I later divined that he didn't care). Transferred to San Diego, where I obtained my PPL. Lots of interruptions to flying time as I spent time overseas. Worked with drone helicopters that the Navy wouldn't let me fly, even though I was the only licensed pilot on the ship. Eventually came back to the States and took to the skies once again. Took my soon-to-be-wife flying on our 1st date. Flew us to Lake of the Ozarks for our honeymoon. Many other memorable flights also. Lucky enough to be able to buy an airplane (Grumman Tiger). Got my CPL, instrument, and glider ratings. Stopped flying suddenly in 1983. 35 year hiatus. Now active again in a Light Sport airplane. Wife still trusts whatever re-constituted flying skills I may have. Lucky me.

Sounds a lot like my story! When were you at Millington? I soloed there (Arlington for the solo flight) in May 1978. Went to Miramar for E-2 Hawkeye aircrew training and didn't fly GA again until 2000.

I've always wondered: why aren't people pilots?

To me, its like not using modern medicine, or refusing to use the internet. I've got my license and a plane because I can...

Sounds a lot like my story! When were you at Millington? I soloed there (Arlington for the solo flight) in May 1978. Went to Miramar for E-2 Hawkeye aircrew training and didn't fly GA again until 2000.
I was at Millington several several years before you. I walked, bused, or hitchhiked the 6-7 miles to Charles Baker Airport. Took lessons in an Aeronca 7AC Champ. IIRC, I was 5 or so hours away from the flight test when I finished AT-N electronics training and was transferred to the North Island NAS pigboat squadron's shop.

I joined the CAP Cadets and got a bit of L-16 time and fun military stuff. My Dad said he'd take me to solo and the rest was up to me. I missed my 16th birthday by 4 days in 1954 due to SoCal smog--no solo for 16 year olds when the beacon on top of the tower is lit :-(
I worked as a line boy and mechanic's helper to fund my flight time to PPL.
I'm 80, still flying, and still do some IA work.

Paul
Salome, AZ

What did you fly?

3199.jpg

Me and my plane in the avatar...737s.

Noah W

When I was a toddler my dad was building balsa wood models that he would eventually fly as control line airplanes. I can still remember the smell of the dope as he worked the tissue on the wings. Several years later, I got my own control line plane with a .049 engine. Ahh the smell of the gas and glo-plugs. You haven't lived until you had your fingers smacked by a propeller :cool:

At the age of 16 I took a few lessons with the local civil air patrol, and subsequently stopped, because of ... cars and girls!! Fast forward to age of 25 and my wife knew of my love for flying so she bought me the ground school kit, but we were too damn poor for me to take the classes. Last year as I was rehabilitating a knee injury I decided at age 52, it was now or never. So after months of getting a few health issues straight I am nearly done with PPL. I fly to fulfill the dream of a 5 year old watching his dad build airplanes. aka . FREEDOM !

I was born and raised in Jacksonville, FL, and it was a hotbed of naval aviation during and after WW2 with NAS Jacksonville, NS Mayport, NAS Cecil Field, and NAAS Green Cove Springs all nearby. While in junior high school I spent weekends at Herlong Field (HEG) raptly listening to pilots swapping war stories, and building balsa "stick models" of P-51 Mustangs, F4U Corsairs, Supermarine Spitfires, and lots of other WW1 and WW2 fighters. When I enlisted in the Air Force after high school and got assigned to my first PCS at Vandenberg AFB, one of the first things I did was join the base aero club and start taking flying lessons. My CFI was a C-130 pilot who taught me "seat-of-the-pants" flying. It wasn't until I got transferred to Hill AFB, UT that I finished my PPL training at an Ogden FBO (the Hill aero club had just been shut down) and passed my check ride 54 years ago on September 11, 1964.

So, why? I simply love it, but more practically it's because I'd much rather spend 3 hours flying from Oakland to Palm Springs and arrive fresh and relaxed instead of 9 hours on I-5 and I-10 in stop-and-go traffic and arrive exhausted and ready for a Scotch and Water.

Lots of Naval Aviation at JAX when I grew up there as well. Went to many an air show in those parts.

6DD7EA6F-1F79-4115-B9D2-91CD86179B26.jpeg

Lots of Naval Aviation at JAX when I grew up there as well. Went to many an air show in those parts.

View attachment 69339

Same here. We lived in Wesconnett, and my dad and two of his brothers worked at the NARF at NAS-Jax. Had an aunt who worked at Cecil, too. Got to see lots of air shows back then. The Blues amazed me when I was a kid. Now that I can fly, they amaze me even more.

I started racing at age 16 as a hobby, and a few years later I started racing for a living. I found out that was a good way to stay broke unless you are really,really, really, really good. I was just really really good....:lol:

I started flying just for fun to replace the racing I dearly missed. Again, the hobby became a job....now I live in a higher class of broke....

One of these days I will get a real job.

Because I didn't know I could aspire to greatness. DJ in a strip club was too hard to become, so I learned how to fly. I still have my first "will fly for food" sign.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I was gonna be a submariner but I passed the IQ test . . .

I was 5 on a trip to Arizona from Michjgan, security was of course far different and part way into the flight the flight attendant asked if i would like to see the cockpit, and i strode on up. I instantly was overwhelmed in aww of all those guages and dials and the captai turned around and say, "hey there Tiger" i had a Detroit Tigers jacket on. They gave me a set of wings and i was hooked, from that day forward till even today i never dont look up at a plane i hear.

About 10 years ago i was BSing with my broker, i was a real estate agent, he said "i know you've always wanted to, and im betwen kids training and sitting is bad for the engine on my 150, here is the keys and an instructors number... got my first 20 hours for the cost of gas and $30an hour for the instructor... i will be eternally thankful for him tossing me those keys.. since getting my ticket ive been in a flying club w a nice 180hp 172, but its an hour from home and my frequency dropped to nothig for a few years. I woke up two months ago and said im going to make that change i miss it.

Last week i bought my first plane, 1947 cessna 140 and i start my tailwheel endorsement work next week! I was cleaning it Friday when my old broker and his son landed in that 150 to move their Navion hangers, what a neat honor as im not in real estate anymre to meet up at the airport to find we are only a row of hangers apart.

IDK, others have said it so i guess we know what each other mean; i feel most alive in that time between calling "clear prop" until i switch the mags off. Its indescribable to those that dont know...

Last edited:
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return

Leonardo Divinci

Back