Plane Down-Western Iowa

Yes ---- es
I had the classic sign: crushing chest pain radiating into my jaw. Pain 10 on a scale of 1-10, as bad as childbirth and I had no meds at all with childbirth. Turns out it wasn't a heart attack, it was esophageal spasm. So the reverse is also true. You can't tell at all from the symptoms.
ophageal spasms hurt like hell.....

It's obvious that annual inspections are not always enough, or 100% of these incidents would be caught before they happen.

Not disagreeing, I was just making the side point with my original post that there's a lot of pencil whipping in our little hobby, and these things don't get inspected properly. You can't blame the inspection interval when people scoff at replacing cracking/rusting metal ducting to save a buck.

Yet another one of the perverse incentives led by the FAA's draconian approach to parts "legalities". The irony is you let people put the cheap stuff in, the things would likely be more reliable and replaced with a greater eye, since it's affordable to do so. But I'm tilting at the windmills, I gave up on this affair when I saw what the FAA did to primary non-commercial. The second I no longer need the 3rd seat I'm out of this wretched side of rec aviation...

Just inspections alone are not adequate enough. My accident happened 88hrs since the previous annual, it was brought on metal fatigue and not corrosion. So it looked great and passed the low pressure look for bubble test at annual. I'm guessing the crack had propagated withing the proceeding 10hrs. Good low level detectors are much more reliable than a once per year inspection.

It's interesting to note that only 50% of the CO accidents are caused from a faulty heating system. Many exhaust failures can find there way into the cabin. So not turning your heat on mitigates the risk but doesn't eliminate it.

If anyone is interested in the discounts, both are for 20% off. I have no affiliation with either company.

www.sensorcon.com
Code: aircraft2017

www.guardianavionics.com
Code: coaware

Cheers,

Dan

First, welcome to POA! Second, I am sincerely happy you're still with us Dan. I really mean that. And you're absolutely right, it's not all that much in the big scheme of things. Certainly willing to invest in that rather than give Garmin/Jepp another GPS subscription for data I already paid for as a tax payer. So in your honor sir, I'm gonna go ahead and purchase one of the battery powered sensors you listed above. Safe travels and many more years of successful flight. And keep your other cat lives close to the vest, you can't afford to lose any more of them!

I'm that guy! Now I'm an advocate for CO protection. Even the "Expensive" Guardian panel mount units are worth the price in my opinion. Yes, I guess it is a rare way to die in aviation. But 4 people just did, one person in Alaska last year, I should have in Feb 2017, and another in Alaska in 2016. Enough people have died that the NTSB believes its a major problem.

After my accident I organize a discounted group buy for the Sensorcon portable for fellow pilots on Mooneyspace. I was expecting 20-25 pilots to participate and it has snowballed to well over 600 with the help of Beechtalk, other forums, and my public speaking events. . . .

If anyone is interested in the discounts, both are for 20% off. I have no affiliation with either company.

www.sensorcon.com

www.guardianavionics.com

Cheers,

Dan
Welcome - and thanks for posting. I have been going to get one for years and just had not got around to it. Your post in Mooney Space convinced me to order one now.

A lot can happen in a year. Fatigue failures of exhaust system components are not unheard of.

True, but a careful inspection might reveal that little crack that will most likely turn into a bigger crack.

It certainly doesn't obviate the need for a detector, but if we can do everything possible to eliminate the CO source, all the better. And pulling that cowling off on a more regular basis can reveal other problems that should be dealt with. I check the tightness of all AN fittings whenever I can.

True, but a careful inspection might reveal that little crack that will most likely turn into a bigger crack.

It certainly doesn't obviate the need for a detector, but if we can do everything possible to eliminate the CO source, all the better. And pulling that cowling off on a more regular basis can reveal other problems that should be dealt with. I check the tightness of all AN fittings whenever I can.

But no inspection will ever find that little crack that will start next week . . . Or as mentioned above, the belly inspection panel put back on improperly that lets exhaust fumes into the cockpit . . . .

I'm that guy! Now I'm an advocate for CO protection. Even the "Expensive" Guardian panel mount units are worth the price in my opinion. Yes, I guess it is a rare way to die in aviation. But 4 people just did, one person in Alaska last year, I should have in Feb 2017, and another in Alaska in 2016. Enough people have died that the NTSB believes its a major problem.

After my accident I organize a discounted group buy for the Sensorcon portable for fellow pilots on Mooneyspace. I was expecting 20-25 pilots to participate and it has snowballed to well over 600 with the help of Beechtalk, other forums, and my public speaking events. Many report back problems they find. I have had 4 solid reports of "saves". And several more of situations that could have escalated given time to. Not all have been heater related. One Turbo Mooney (Bravo) owner had his alarm go off during a climb in IMC. He declared an emergency and flew the ILS back to his departure airport. Mechanics found that the V-band clamp on the hot side of the turbo had come loose. He was at the start of a 2hr X/C over IMC, that could have ended badly. The NTSB report wouldn't have mentioned CO, but the detector was what alerted him to the problem.

Just inspections alone are not adequate enough. My accident happened 88hrs since the previous annual, it was brought on metal fatigue and not corrosion. So it looked great and passed the low pressure look for bubble test at annual. I'm guessing the crack had propagated withing the proceeding 10hrs. Good low level detectors are much more reliable than a once per year inspection.

It's interesting to note that only 50% of the CO accidents are caused from a faulty heating system. Many exhaust failures can find there way into the cabin. So not turning your heat on mitigates the risk but doesn't eliminate it.

www.sensorcon.com

www.guardianavionics.com

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, I read your post on Mooney forum and orders the battery powered one. Thank you for advocating and potentially saving few lives. Even if it’s one, it’s more than enough. Glad you are with us and flying. Blue skies.

Doing annual now. Going to Sh*t Can the cardboard CO detector and get something more accurate. I fly with the heat on 80% of the time. Even in the summer it's on just a bit.

Tragic story for sure.

But no inspection will ever find that little crack that will start next week . . . Or as mentioned above, the belly inspection panel put back on improperly that lets exhaust fumes into the cockpit . . . .

True. That's why you need inspections and a detector. Make sure you seal up any small openings in the firewall too.

Back