So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

I just booked my discovery flight for this weekend.
I’m 51 and finally decided to fulfill a life long ambition to fly. As long as all goes well with the discovery flight, I will start training very soon. It looks like I have an aircraft, 172s, lined up, and the CFI will be the same that takes me up this weekend.
I’ll fly out of Van Nuys, Ca.
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. I’ll do the same.

You probably want to investigate getting your 3rd Class Medical before you get too far down the road. If you have any concerns, consult an expert before going to the exam.

You probably want to investigate getting your 3rd Class Medical before you get too far down the road. If you have any concerns, consult an expert before going to the exam.

Yes.
My plan is:
1 - Discovery flight to confirm that my ideas match reality.
2 - A visit to the FAA doctor to confirm that I’ll pass my medical.
3 - Commit to and schedule time with my CFI.

Thanks for the advice.

I really wish my CFI did ground lessons with me. It’d make this whole thing a hell of a lot easier. 18 hours of senior level classes and trying to keep this stuff in my head is brutal.

Knocked out my first, shorter, XC solo thins morning. KABQ -> KONM -> KABQ

Not too bad, couple of curveballs thrown at me, mostly due to my lack of flying over the summer. But all in all a great day. Landing in Socorrow wasn't awesome, little high and fast, so floated a while and a slight bounce on touchdown. Made it back in one piece and the plane still flies, so that's a plus :)

Saturday if the weather holds will be my longer XC flight.

Finished my long XC flight this weekend: KTKI - KTYR - KPRX - KTKI. Full taxi back at TYR. Interesting landing on the 8300 foot runway where the first 3000 is under construction... Then on to PRX where there was a 90 degree xwind at 10 knots... not fun... tried once and went around, this time landing on another shorter rwy but where the xwind component was much less. Fuel and back to TKI. In the end, I was so tired... can't imagine how corporate pilots manage full days on duty... anyway, I'm back in one piece and plane is reusable without seeing a mechanic, so I'd consider that a good day! :)

Got 2.9 hrs under the belt... fun as s**t! What a feeling, so much to take in. Got my 3rd Class med, just a few more hrs to go...

Passed my Private Pilot Check-ride 4 weeks ago. It took a little over 3 years and 108 hours. I'm 57 years old. Fly out of Farmingdale NY, FRG. Started out with 3rd class medical, but switched to Basic Med when 3rd class expired. Did it for S**ts and giggles (love aviation)

Had to scrap my long solo XC today, winds are picking up.

I tried to go up and go to the practice area, then return for a couple of landings. Took off and the winds were already increasing, so did one lap in the pattern and called it. Didn't help that they were using runway 8 and the wind was from 300-310, so getting shoved down the runway some.

As an engineering school, Auburn is an outstanding choice for folks who don’t make it into Ga Tech. I know many superb Auburn engineers.

Went on my discovery flight yesterday. Pretty amazing. The CFI gave me control for the whole flight, except take off and landing, of course. Some sensory overload at first but calmed and was able to look out and enjoy.
Now my dilemma. How do I do this and justify the cost? I can afford the training, but post license, is it worth only flying once in a while? It’s so damn expensive.
This is more rhetorical than anything. Thanks for listening.

Went on my discovery flight yesterday. Pretty amazing. The CFI gave me control for the whole flight, except take off and landing, of course. Some sensory overload at first but calmed and was able to look out and enjoy.
Now my dilemma. How do I do this and justify the cost? I can afford the training, but post license, is it worth only flying once in a while? It’s so damn expensive.

To paraphrase a former cow-orker, "A General Aviation hobby is God's way of telling you you're making too much money."

The best way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start out with a large one.

Airplanes don't run on Avgas. They run on money. Ever go to an airport with empty pockets and see how far you got?

There's a lot of money in aviation. You go to the airport with a lot of money in your pocket, and don't have much left when you leave.

I don't know if you've heard of AMU's (Aviation Monetary Units). Usually worth $1000 each. Makes it easier to talk about the cost of whatever you just had to spend on your aviation habit.

Traveling across country can be cheaper than going by car, as the plane will save you a night or too hotel lodging. I could fly from San Jose to Riverside, CA, about 300 NM straight line in less than 2 hours, and it's at least 6 by car, even going down the high speed transit corridor, otherwise known as I-5.

Simple answer, you don't justify the cost.

Is it worth the cost and work you put into getting it? I think so. I can't commit as much time/money into flying post training, but I think it is worth it. I try to fly twice a month now. Your mileage may vary.

Seems like you may be similar to where I was when I started. I never really planned to get the cert. I just showed up for a discovery flight and liked it. I wanted to try it again, so I scheduled another hour. Rinse, repeat. CFI kept assuming I was going for it and I just kept coming back, couple of years later I was certificated. I just had my first BFR(every two year flight review), still enjoying it.

Passed my Private Pilot Check-ride 4 weeks ago. It took a little over 3 years and 108 hours. I'm 57 years old. Fly out of Farmingdale NY, FRG. Started out with 3rd class medical, but switched to Basic Med when 3rd class expired. Did it for S**ts and giggles (love aviation)

Congrats!! 59 here and looking forward to my check ride, few more weeks i'm told for mine.

Did my long cross country today. 251miles with stops in Rome,GA and Toccoa,GA. My Rome landing was adequate, but a really good landing in Toccoa.

It was a pretty nice day and had a nice view of the mountains out to my left and the way across the top of the triangle.

Did my long cross country today. 251miles with stops in Rome,GA and Toccoa,GA. My Rome landing was adequate, but a really good landing in Toccoa.

It was a pretty nice day and had a nice view of the mountains out to my left and the way across the top of the triangle.

Congrats!!! what? No pic's? LOL

Congrats AA! I look forward to those cross countries! It is amazing how much information I have crammed into my head in the past three weeks, I feel it will be a lot smoother once the basics are nailed down.

Well, it’s sorta like justifying your cocaine habit, except a cocaine habit is a little less expensive and easier to kick.

Congrats AA! I look forward to those cross countries! It is amazing how much information I have crammed into my head in the past three weeks, I feel it will be a lot smoother once the basics are nailed down.

Yes, it all seems like a lot in the beginning, and just like anything else, it starts to come together. Even though I have done 3 solo trips away from home airport, it still does not feel real to me.... Almost hard to believe they just turned me loose with a $250K airplane and said, see ya when you get back.. Kinda freaky actually.

I will see if I can grab a pic or two off the gopro and upload them.

I finally did it! My first solo flight the other day!! Winds were around 12knots before preflight and lowered to an acceptable amount of 7knots - right down the Runway. After 3 of my best landings yet, the instructor got out and sent me on my way. What an amazing feeling! I definitely didn't grease the landings but I walked away and the airplane can fly again!

Just over 13 hours logged after the solo flight. FB_IMG_1542486083406.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I finally did it! My first solo flight the other day!! Winds were around 12knots before preflight and lowered to an acceptable amount of 7knots - right down the Runway. After 3 of my best landings yet, the instructor got out and sent me on my way. What an amazing feeling! I definitely didn't grease the landings but I walked away and the airplane can fly again!

Just over 13 hours logged after the solo flight. View attachment 69294

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Congrats Pilot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had to scratch my long XC solo yesterday. Plane I was scheduled in was down due to transponder going out. They put me in another plane, but it's one I've had bad luck in and won't fly (at least not solo). So 2 planes left. Scheduled me for another plane and hour earlier, so good to go. Get to the flight school and my CFI says "bad news...the steering dampener is going out". So 1 plane left, but not for another 2 hours. A little too late to go on the XC, so I went up and did a little over an hour solo in the practice area. Came back and had one of my best landings yet.

Maybe I'm figuring all this out after all :)

Solo XC rescheduled for Sunday, hoping the weather holds.

I have way too many hours and landings, gotta get this done.

I uprooted my whole life/career and moved cross-country to start a new career in aviation! I'm up to about 20 hours now, and working on keeping the nose up after a roundout. Any tips for a fellow PPL student? Also, I'm still making the mistake of pulling back on the yoke when making left turns in the pattern, any advice there?

December 15th is my Check Ride!!

Go through the ACS multiple times, everything you can be asked during the oral is in the ACS.

As an example I was asked what you need to fly (ACS Preflight Preparation Task A Pilot Qualifications) I nailed all the documentation plus currency requirements and also added my personal minimums in my answer for carrying passengers, book is 3 T/O landings in 90 days I told my examiner that as a new pilot my minimum would be 3 T/O landings in 30 days.

61 y/o semi retired and going for my PPL. I've got 9-1/2 hours so far. Doing my ground school stuff through King Schools. I've learned a lot, but, I still have lots to learn. I've landed w/o input from CFI a few times. Not ready to solo yet, but, I think I'm getting close. Another few lessons I think. So far we're staying close to the field and trying to get this landing thing down a bit better. Waiting on my medical. Had to go for a special issuance due to diabetes and a melanoma I had last year. Feel fairly confidant I'll get it eventually. It would be depressing if I don't. Finally can afford to fly, but health wouldn't let me? Blah.

Good luck everyone. I enjoy reading your tales.

Back