NA - Anaheim event

Lando

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lando
We're heading to Anaheim for an event at the Honda Center in January. I'm not at all familiar with the LA area, so hoping one of you can help with a couple things:
  • We'll fly Delta for this trip...is John Wayne the best option?
  • Any recommendations for areas to stay? We're planning to have some fun, which usually involves drinks, good food and good views. Somewhere by the beach would be nice, but we'll only be there for Friday and Saturday and plan to Uber. If the drive from the beach to Anaheim is too much of a hassle for that, we're definitely open to a nicer downtown type of area with plenty of options to walk to.
Any other tips, tricks or ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

SNA or LGB would be ideal for a visit to Anaheim.

While you’re there, take the short drive up to Palos Verdes and eat at Avenue Italy. Outdoor seating and you can watch the sunset while eating some of the best Italian food there is.

Stay in Seal Beach or Huntington Beach.... About a 20 min drive to the convention center and those along with Newport are THE beaches to go to. If I were going, I'd find a place in Sunset Beach, which is a hamlet between Seal and Huntington. Main St in Seal on a Friday or Sat night is a very happening place.

^^^^^^^^^ What he said.. there is a Hampton Inn that I stay at for business in Seal Beach, it is right next to the 22 freeway which will take you to Anaheim... and the Uber to Main St. Seal Beach in about $10.00 each way.

Very nice place to hang out on the weekend.

Definitely SNA or LGB if you can. Sometimes LAX makes more sense due to non stop options but there is only a few hours a day that LAX is not a total chit show.

Definitely SNA or LGB if you can. Sometimes LAX makes more sense due to non stop options but there is only a few hours a day that LAX is not a total chit show.

Which hours would that be? I've been there at 5am, during the middle of the day, at 11pm, it's always a disaster... I try to avoid LAX whenever possible, even if it's more expensive.

As others have said, SNA and LGB are both fantastic airports to fly in and out of.

Weird, I’ve been in and out of LAX at various times of the day and it wasn’t nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Maybe I’ve been lucky?

IF money is a factor, ONT is usually less than SNA and still FAR BETTER than LAX. Have you picked up the LAX sucks vibe?!?

For Honda Center, you might consider staying somewhere more inland and you can go to downtown Fullerton one night and downtown Orange the next. Both have great dining options and are half the distance of Seal Beach. (Which, by the way, is great.)

[Movie Trivia: Seal Beach is where they went "to the lake" in American Pie 2]

Weird, I’ve been in and out of LAX at various times of the day and it wasn’t nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Maybe I’ve been lucky?

Second worst friggin' airport in the world, exceeded only by Lagos, Nigeria.

We will definitely steer clear of LAX and it looks like KSNA will be our best bet on Delta. Great ideas for places to stay too...that really helps narrow my search down. Thanks for all the ideas, everyone...as always, I knew I could count on POA to come through!

Are you sure it was LAX?? :D

Disneyland Hotel. Not that ya gotta go to Disneyland, but there’s all kinds of Restaurants, bars and stuff to do close by. There’s other Hotels close by and near all kinds of entertainment. Open a map and search for hotels and other stuff close by. You’ll find this, https://flightdeck1.com/. Could be something to do.

Disneyland Hotel.

ICK! If you're not planning to go to the house of mouse you should give it a wide berth.

Hotel over run by kids -- Check!
Low Quality to Price ratios EVERYWHERE -- Check!
Chain Restaurants to appeal to the best swath of Mickey oriented customers -- Check!

Sorry to be obvious, but if you ain't going to Disney, AVOID Disney.

[And yes, I worked at Disneyland in college like all good OC kids did]

ICK! If you're not planning to go to the house of mouse you should give it a wide berth.

Chain Restaurants to appeal to the best swath of Mickey oriented customers -- Check!

The only place that can get away with charging $18 for a churro.

The only place that can get away with charging $18 for a churro.

Churros should cost $15,000 each to dissuade people from polluting themselves with that crap.

Regular donuts should be $7,000, since they aren't exotic.

Not what the Beignet pricing should be. Might have to express that in Euros.

I echo what others have said about flying into SNA or LGB. It will be a convenient drive to hotels and Anaheim.

They’ve built a few hotels in Huntington Beach (along with our iconic, long time Waterfront Hilton) and there’s all sorts of restaurants in the recently build Pacific City, as well as near Main Street and The Strand. (Main Street has a night life every night, but is hopping on Friday and Saturday.). Plus there are two great breakfast places nearby: Cappys on Pacific Coast Highway near Newport Beach (open at 7:00 AM) or Harbor House in Surfside (open 24 hours.). Sugar Shack on Main is good too, but just really busy.

Yeah yeah. It's your thang or it ain't. But with just a couple nights in town and lookin for a variety of entertainment opportunities in close range, it's worth a look at

Back