Which Corporate Jet "Type Rating" is most in demand in Business Aviation Today?

I'll say G650 or Global vision. It takes more than a type rating though. It takes time in type and that's what they really want. Anyone can go do the 61.55 SIC flying on a citation but the long range/ big planes don't usually play those games.

From reading a certain Euro-centric aviation forum it appears the most desireable ratings are a G500/550/600/650 or a Global 6000/7000 PIC ticket. Some operators over there expect pilots to pay for their type rating, usually through an indentured servant bond.

The pilots are vehemently against this, as it has lowered wages and is created quite a bit of turmoil. With a G650 type rating going for around €100,000 plus, and some Euro operators paying just €1,000 for a pilot's day rate salary, those with permanent positions are up in arms about the freelancers dragging down the market.

I only know what I have read, and there isn't much information out there on what US salaries are for the G500/550/600/650. At that level of compensation, basing, scheduling, health insurance, and pensions are very much part of the compensation negotiations for full-time flight crews.

It appears European employment conditions and compensation for the GLEX, Falcon 7X and 8X are similar to that of the G500/550/600/650 PIC seat.

As I said, I don't know much detail about this. My sources are a G550 captain and a 7X PIC. Both are long time employees with their respective companies. Out of an abundance of respect for their positions, I don't ask many questions about their flight operations.

In demand?
Definitely not GLEX or such.
We're talking CE-500, CJ-525 or maybe LR45. There's always work for people with those types.
GLEX, good luck finding a seat.

From reading a certain Euro-centric aviation forum it appears a desireable rating is the G500/550/600/650 or a Global 6000/7000 PIC ticket. Some operators over there expect pilots to pay for their type rating, usually through an indentured servant bond.

The pilots are vehemently against this, as it has lowered wages and is created quite a bit of turmoil. With a G650 type rating going for around €100,000 plus, and some Euro operators paying just €1,000 for a pilot's day rate salary, those with permanent positions are up in arms about the freelancers dragging down the market.

I only know what I have read, and there isn't much information out there on what US salaries are for the G500/550/600/650. At that level of compensation, basing, scheduling, health insurance, and pensions are very much part of the compensation negotiations for full-time flight crews.

It appears European employment conditions and compensation for the GLEX, Falcon 7X and 8X are similar to that of the G500/550/600/650 PIC seat.

As I said, I don't know much detail about this. My sources are a G550 captain and a 7X PIC. Both are long time employees with their respective companies. Out of an abundance of respect for their positions, I don't ask many questions about their flight operations.

If you are paying for it yourself, go for the CE-500. Most bang for the buck: covers a lot of different models of Citation.

OPINION: Citation XLS or Embraer 300. This are both historically very popular (and still in-wide-service) business jets.

If it ain't flying, you ain't getting contract work. Best to get something that is actively flying, and will continue to be, for years ahead (RVSM, ADS-B, etc). Personally I would do the above.

OPINION

Not sure if I agree with the suggestion of getting a GLEX or Falcon 7/8 type right off. The job opportunities are much more limited and the employer will likely want a significantly higher time applicant vs. someone who holds a Citation type that will cover a much broader array of jobs.

Like @Fearless Tower said, if you had to choose, go with the CE-500.

Honestly, in the current market, I would not recommend paying for any PIC type unless it’s for a plane you are buying and going to fly yourself.

If you are just starting out, an SIC type might be worth it (fraction of the cost) to get your foot in the door contracting and building experience, but once you have the turbine experience, go get hired and let the employer send you to school.

Honestly, in the current market, I would not recommend paying for any PIC type unless it’s for a plane you are buying and going to fly yourself.

If you are just starting out, an SIC type might be worth it (fraction of the cost) to get your foot in the door contracting and building experience, but once you have the turbine experience, go get hired and let the employer send you to school.

In the current market based on my recent experience, you don't have to pay anything out of pocket. "SIC type" or 61.55 check is done as part of your "company checkout" if you need it.
Most contract SICs are guys who just sit right seat because customer likes two pilots.

I’ve got 3 type ratings in older aircraft. They’ve kept me employed for many years.

I would think the CE525 would be a good one to have. Like the CE500 it covers several models, unlike the CE500 they are still building them. The CE500 has been around a long time, I got my type 31 years ago, and the fleet is only getting smaller. I will say that the contract CE500 pilots I know stay busy.

Fortunately, gone are the days of people paying out of pocket for 737 types in hopes of getting hired by SWA

Agree but I was referring to corporate flying, IF one wanted to get a type. In the current atmosphere I wouldn’t do it myself.

I'm curious what you mean by this?

They fly VIPs, and travel to destinations that aren't publicized. I just don't ask any questions about that or money.

I would think the CE525 would be a good one to have. Like the CE500 it covers several models, unlike the CE500 they are still building them. The CE500 has been around a long time, I got my type 31 years ago, and the fleet is only getting smaller. I will say that the contract CE500 pilots I know stay busy.
Agreed. Although the Gulstreams & Globals are more in demand by employers, one has zero point zero chance of getting a job flying one of those machines without lots of experience in those airplanes, or possibly similar jets (yes, I’m certain someone will come up with the exception).
One actually has a chance landing a job flying one of the smaller Citation models without jet experience, or even without much experience in general.

I dunno...I never thought to ask.

Thanks for the input. It'll be my first type rating.
The companies I'm looking into are operating Cessna Citation, Challenger 300, and Hawker 800 aircraft.

The companies I'm looking into are operating Cessna Citation, Challenger 300, and Hawker 800 aircraft.
Seriously, if they are going to hire you they will send you for professional training anyway (or at least they should).
I would let them pay for it.

It is true that a company will pay for training, but if they are looking at two individuals with equal weight and one already has the type, guess who gets the job?

It is true that a company will pay for training, but if they are looking at two individuals with equal weight and one already has the type, guess who gets the job?
Depends if they bought a brand new plane. Usually with a new purchase they negotiate a certain number of type ratings (maybe 4 types for something big like a G650). In that situation having experience in the plane prior could help but they would rather have a guy they like and they will send them to get trained since it's already paid for.

Agreed. Although the Gulstreams & Globals are more in demand by employers, one has zero point zero chance of getting a job flying one of those machines without lots of experience in those airplanes, or possibly similar jets (yes, I’m certain someone will come up with the exception).

I bet @David White can tell us all about Global Girl. :rofl:

Find out what kind of Citation. That's the one you have the best chance of getting into. But, like others have said, in this environment you shouldn't have to get the type before you're employed by them, and you shouldn't have to pay out of pocket.

Back