Battery for Scout ADSB

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
Just got a scout ADSB receiver.

Could somebody recommend a relatively small battery to be paired with it?

I’ve got a larger battery that I use for the iPad, but don’t want to have to use that big battery for the Scout.

Kind of does away with the advantage of the little tiny scout footprint.

On the Stratux forum the Anker batteries continue to be the favorite. I use the larger battery that is 15000 mah. You can pick the capacity based on physical size you are looking for. Of course the larger they are the longer they will last. You can also get a longer USB cable and put the battery remote from the receiver.

I use a 20,000 mah battery in a side pocket below my Scout, and I just run a cable to my ipad from the same battery to my ipad. I never run short of power with this setup. I picked the battery up from Sams club for 30 bucks.

I use a little 1500mAh battery that is about the same length as the Scout, but about 2.5 times the thickness. Sits in the seat pocket behind me with a short cable to the Scout which I mount on the side window. Lasts more than long enough for the roughly 4.5 hour longest legs I typically use as my limit.

I use a little 1500mAh battery that is about the same length as the Scout, but about 2.5 times the thickness. Sits in the seat pocket behind me with a short cable to the Scout which I mount on the side window. Lasts more than long enough for the roughly 4.5 hour longest legs I typically use as my limit.

That (1500mAH) would probably be the smallest battery I'd use for that application. Good choice.

Lessee, the Scout draws 125mA, usb is 5V, so that's 0.625W. The battery is 3350 mAh at a nominal 3.6V, or about 12 Wh. So that gives 12/0.625=19.3 hours... knock down 20% for margin and we're down to 15 hours and change.

That won't keep a Scout running for too long. Only good for short flights. But, maybe that's a good fit for you (and the OP.)

Lessee, the Scout draws 125mA, usb is 5V, so that's 0.625W. The battery is 3350 mAh at a nominal 3.6V, or about 12 Wh. So that gives 12/0.625=19.3 hours... knock down 20% for margin and we're down to 15 hours and change.

It won't run it anywhere near that long. Even a full size 20.0 mAH won't run it for that length of time. I think your math is suspect.

I have one of those little 3.3 batteries. It's good for half a charge on my iPhone. And I have a student who has drained a much larger cap battery on a several hour cross country flight. I would expect you to get an hour or so out of that battery. But hey, do what you want.

Just got a scout ADSB receiver.

Could somebody recommend a relatively small battery to be paired with it?

I use this [Amazon link] with my Scout, to keep it independent from other gadgets in the cockpit that require charging (like my cheap GoPro knock-off that needs to be on external power after the first 30 minutes of recording). At $12, I thought it was a good deal (the battery pack, not the knock-off).

I ran it for six hours and the battery still shows green; I'll see if I can get another six out of it tonight.

I would expect you to get an hour or so out of that battery.

I ran it for six hours and the battery still shows green; I'll see if I can get another six out of it tonight.

Well go figure! Okay, I must be wrong. The smaller batteries must be just fine for the Scout. Enjoy!

Well go figure! Okay, I must be wrong. The smaller batteries must be just fine for the Scout. Enjoy!

At an amperage draw of 0.125A how big of a battery do you think it needs? You seem to be skeptical of things that your buddies and pals here on PoA are telling of regarding real world experiences. What gives? You have diarrhea or what? Headache? So combative. ;)

None taken. I figured I should back up predictions with measurements before flying with the thing anyway.

Back