Worthless Parachutes?

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
I used to teach aerobatics in a Citabria and acquired two parachutes. They've not been repacked since 1996, and have just taken up space in my hangar.

45850157852_d8a8eb59be.jpg

I ran them by Chattanooga Skydive a couple days ago. The rigger there told me the Safety 250 had an AD on it which required an acid test. The other was manufactured in the 1970's and he said they normally have a useful life of about 20 years. In other words, junk.

I'm finding it very hard to just throw them in a dumpster. Before I do, does anyone have any interest at all for any purpose? If so, let me know.

Y'know, you could have some fun with a dummy in a deployed chute hanging from one of the trees next to your grass strip.....

bring them to our next fly in. we can take turns wearing a chute while standing behind someone starting up their plane. will make for some good PoA youtube videos.

I ran them by Chattanooga Skydive a couple days ago. The rigger there told me the Safety 250 had an AD on it which required an acid test. The other was manufactured in the 1970's and he said they normally have a useful life of about 20 years. In other words, junk.
Had I have known you were in town, we might’ve been able to connect for a bite to eat.

I’d just list them on Craigslist if nothing else. Someone may have a use for them.

I have one of about the same vintage, complete with mold.

Lots of memories there but I just want to pull the ripcord and see if it might still work (???)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Convert it into a travel backpack. You'll get a lot of admiring stares at places like LAX.

Actually, there's a company that sells imitation parachute backpacks already.....

Ron Wanttaja

Catch-22 (the book by Joseph Heller) was required reading in high school. This post reminds me of this scene from the book:

I wouldn’t jump a non ram air if you paid me.

Even if it’s a pilot rig, I’d want a PD 1:1 ram air reserve in it.

Round chute...better go out and do some good PLFs. (Preferably off the tailgate of a truck).

I have an old Ram-Air Rig in the attic. If anyone wants it, just pay shipping.

Round chute...better go out and do some good PLFs. (Preferably off the tailgate of a truck).

I have an old Ram-Air Rig in the attic. If anyone wants it, just pay shipping.
Message sent

Back