FAA and ADHD medication.

A

Anonymous

Hello, I know this question has been probably asked to death but I am asking it any away but I have yet to get a straight answer. Regardless of your position of ADD/ADHD I have been diagnosed with it and had it since childhood and I am have been talking Adderall for it for as long as I can remember and it helps me. I am looking to become looking to become a general aviation pilot and fly just for pleasure and not for employemnt. With this in mind, is there anyway that I can legally get around the FAA's rules and regs when it comes to stimulates and class IIs?

Sport pilot, part 103, or gliders.

If you are taking Adderall you ain't gonna get a FAA medical - not no way, not no how.

I wish the new "fly by" folk would use the search function... the OP is correct that this has been discussed many times.

Including as recently as Saturday when AOPA's Gary Crump and our own Dr. Bruce Chien weighed in on the subject.....

Anyone else looking for info, see this thread: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/add-and-the-faa-again.114934/

Keywords for Google's Benefit:

Want to Fly and ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder Adderall medication private pilot
Can I be a pilot if I have ADHD?
If a person has adult ADHD, can they be a private pilot?
ADHD airline pilot

Last edited:
Curious you say stimulants and class II’s. Any other meds than the Adderall which is a schedule II controlled substance??

You cannot certify on stimulants as the FAA has no control over whether you remered to take the med on the AM of the accident.

Off stimulants, you need to beat the neuocognitive performance of thebottom 15th percentile of age decile mstched airmen. IIRC I answered an detailed email about this about a week ago....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back