Ocean Reef Club—07FA

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
...Man it looks nice. Anybody ever flown into there?

My wife does regularly in the Citation....the guy she flies for has a home there. Not too shabby!! :)

Jim

I’ve been in there. Last time I was there the sides of the runway was lined with tall bushes. A bit tricky.

Been there in a Citation. It’s pretty, that’s for sure, but they have a lot of rules.

Worst part of it though was getting caught in the middle of an apparent pi$$ing match between Homestead Approach and Miami Approach on departure.

Rules for the club itself or the usage of the airfield?
Mostly the airfield. They severely restrict the number of arrivals/departures per day. It’s something ridiculous like 2 a day (at least for turbine). So you have to reserve your slot well in advance.

I seem to recall a bunch of other rules for flight crews about what you can/can’t do. We were flying guests, so we were trying to be very careful no to ruffle any feathers.

I got to make the landing which was cool, but like Kritchlow said, it’s tight.

I was fortunate to stay as a guest of one of the founding members (I was actually a guest of my dad's who was the member's guest). Beautiful grounds and homes. Very exclusive.

The member had 4 other homes (Italy, Aspen or somewhere in ski country, AZ and primary in IL).

His neighbor was the grandson (or great grandson?) of the founder of IBM.

We were out of place.

Last edited:
Mostly the airfield. They severely restrict the number of arrivals/departures per day. It’s something ridiculous like 2 a day (at least for turbine). So you have to reserve your slot well in advance.

I seem to recall a bunch of other rules for flight crews about what you can/can’t do. We were flying guests, so we were trying to be very careful no to ruffle any feathers.

I got to make the landing which was cool, but like Kritchlow said, it’s tight.

So I’m guessing pattern work is not encouraged?
On a serious note, what’s the regulations regarding private airports? Low approach ok?

So I’m guessing pattern work is not encouraged?
On a serious note, what’s the regulations regarding private airports? Low approach ok?
If you haven't permission to use the airport, I'd say that you cannot fly any lower than you could anywhere over houses.

It’s a fun little airport. I flew a beechjet for a guy that owned a place there. I don’t remember it being to much of an issue with scheduling but it was a long time ago.

Reservations have been required for quite awhile now, and the number available daily is based on the specific a/c model noise footprint. Generally at least a couple weeks out, but I don't think they've actually ever been turned away.

Jim

I was told of an incident there many years ago when a Customs aircraft tried to intercept an incoming aircraft at night. It was not responding to radio calls and was not on a flight plan. The aircraft went into Ocean Reef and the customs aircraft landed in the opposite direction, went nose to nose and withe small arms instructed the occupants to deplane. Then there was a Mexican stand off. Secret service on board said in effect go away. It turned out that Richard Nixon and his friend Rebozo (?) were board, coming back from a discrete boys outing in the Bahamas!!

I have been there a couple of times in my cirrus and other than getting prior approval (like any other private airport) it wasn’t anything special to use the airport. Very nice place overall and really nice to be able to fly right in.

One of our family friends used to own a house there and it was fun to visit.

I've got it in my log book one time this past March flying a QueenAir picking up a guy with a place there. I didn't make any reservation; just arrived when he said to. As I recall, approach had me pretty low from some distance out, and I had a hard time seeing the place. No taxiways, so you have to back taxi. I understood that you couldn't just buy a place and move in. You have to be recommended by a member.

I've got it in my log book one time this past March flying a QueenAir picking up a guy with a place there. I didn't make any reservation; just arrived when he said to. As I recall, approach had me pretty low from some distance out, and I had a hard time seeing the place. No taxiways, so you have to back taxi. I understood that you couldn't just buy a place and move in. You have to be recommended by a member.
It operates pretty much like a exclusive/private country club.

Pilots don’t make the reservations. Owners/members have to, although I think the daily reservation limit may be just for turbines.

I was supposed to go there earlier this year but ended up going to TMB because of weather.

Back