KRPJ - Otter Burger

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
Yesterday, I joined my friend Dan on a helicopter flight from 06C to KRPJ for a quick bite at the airport's pub. It was an incredibly beautiful day to fly. Weak winds in the area, crisp air, and big blue skies. We split the Otter Burger because no sane person should eat a half-pounder topped with a quarter-pound deep-fried gouda, topped with quarter-pound pulled pork. It was good but impossible to finish.

On the way back we got incredible light and I wished I had my SLR with me. Here're a few photos I took with my iPhone.

Random thoughts: helicopters are impossible flying machines. It freaks me out that on final they slow down to speeds that would have even a Maule's stall horn screaming. And KRPJ's AWOS broadcasts the opening days and hours of the restaurant (closed Monday and Tuesday).

Random patterns? I think not!
IMG_9773.jpg

Red train.
IMG_9779.jpg

Otter Burger, aka the widow maker.
20181114_144422.jpg

Thinking about it.
IMG_9785.jpg

I-88 and I-39 interchange.
IMG_9799.jpg

Runway 9 at KDKB.
IMG_9818.jpg

Shadows near DeKalb, Ill.
IMG_9825.jpg

Chicago's skyline reflecting the sunset.
IMG_9830.jpg

Flying machine.
IMG_9844.jpg

Holding short, trying to figure out how to proceed.
IMG_9793.jpg

Last edited:
I may have to go there, but only it it's real otter, none of that bovine substitute.

Looks like a good burger, just don't let me forget to bring my TUMS for afterwards.

Thanks for the great photos!

Couldn’t do the burger,but like the pictures.

Somebody otter finish eatin' that there burger.

They also have half priced appetizers during happy hour. Their nacho platter had to be five pounds easy. I thought we might have to land in DKB for a nap on the way home.

Holy COW that burger is insane! You could dislocate your jaw trying to eat that!

Back