Commercial Checkride Passed!

Congrats!

About once a week we used to see checkride write ups. It seems like its been a long time since ive read one. Im either missing them or people are just not doing them anymore. Or heck less people completing ratings??

Congrats!

About once a week we used to see checkride write ups. It seems like its been a long time since ive read one. Im either missing them or people are just not doing them anymore. Or heck less people completing ratings??

Thanks!

I can post a write up if you'd like. I just figured people don't want to read my long winded posts lol. To be honest, there wasn't really any surprises. I made 1200+ electronic flashcards that were based off two oral exam guides (ASA, Gleim), PHAK, AFH, and various other resources. I used a program called Anki (apparently very popular amongst medical school students for learning and retaining large amounts of info) to study for the oral. Anki is a spaced-repetition system for studying flashcards in such a way that optimally loads facts into and maintains them in long-term memory. During daily study sessions, Anki shows flash cards, and you self-rate your ability to recall each correct answer. You review easier cards on a maintenance schedule, and Anki schedules the ones you have trouble with more frequently. I really wish I would have found this app earlier in my training. It will be a HUGE help for my CFI and future students someday. I thought about creating a separate thread to post a link to my card deck, but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested. I spent A LOT of time putting the deck together and the examiner was very happy with the oral (which is why my oral exam was relatively short - he said he didn't have to "pry" anything out of me and said I should be proud of how quickly we actually got through it - apparently that isn't the norm).

The flying was what I expected. I was nervous, but performed well.

Last edited:
I’d be interested in the card “deck”. I’ve got my written done and got the time but studying for the oral is my biggest hurdle right now. Reading through the ASA book usually puts me to sleep.

I would read your write up and card deck. I'm getting ready to start my Commercial but was going to wait to formally start training after I finished my written. But dont feel obligated to write something either.

I’d be interested in the card “deck”. I’ve got my written done and got the time but studying for the oral is my biggest hurdle right now. Reading through the ASA book usually puts me to sleep.

Okay cool. Hmm...wondering if I should start a separate thread for it or just post it here. Anki (the electronic flash card program) is fairly complex so it deserves a little bit of explanation.

Congratulations - and I will add to the chorus of "it would be good to document it" I'm really intrigued by the flash card program you mentioned. I'm working on Instrument and am not great at memorization, but what you describe sounds like it might help someone like me who falls asleep reading some if the regulations.

Okay guys - maybe I ought to start another thread - it sounds like some people are interested and it might be helpful to others.

Congrats you are catching up quickly ;). Hope the weather next week is better than this week so I can beat you to the multi. Haven’t decided if I’m doing the cfi route or try to find an hour building job.

Congrats you are catching up quickly ;). Hope the weather next week is better than this week so I can beat you to the multi. Haven’t decided if I’m doing the cfi route or try to find an hour building job.

My brain needs a few day break haha. Man I need a beer.

I would read your write up and card deck. I'm getting ready to start my Commercial but was going to wait to formally start training after I finished my written. But dont feel obligated to write something either.

Congratulations - and I will add to the chorus of "it would be good to document it" I'm really intrigued by the flash card program you mentioned. I'm working on Instrument and am not great at memorization, but what you describe sounds like it might help someone like me who falls asleep reading some if the regulations.

So...I was just thinking. I'd love to be able to share the card deck, but I'm not sure about the legality of me sharing them publicly since info is taken from various oral exam guides, which aren't free to the public?

You mentioned Anki. I was more interested in that than the specific cards.

You mentioned Anki. I was more interested in that than the specific cards.

Ahh okay. Longer video but this is a very good example of what is possible with Anki.

Most of my cards are simple front and back type cards. That said I did use some cloze deletions and also did some picture cards where you can blank out the captions.

Back