Prop Vert or Horizontal

Define "store." As in, put it away for the winter? Mechanics frequently move the two bladed prop to 6 and 12 to prevent walking into it when moving around the plane. Since I plan to be one soon, I use that practice.

The past couple of weeks have been what many of you guys would consider winter. Lots of rain. Heavy rain. Temps in the 40s. I re-sealed my wing root fairings and windshield strips because the rain was getting inside the cabin. My prop? No concern whatsoever.

That "right after shutdown" oil is still slathered all over the inside of your engine for a few hours. Sure, it runs off and drains, but your engine isn't bone dry and sterile. It's still a bit lubricated. Now, let it sit for a couple weeks, and right before a cold start go ahead and give that prop a handful of turns to pull it through so it will start easier, and you've just cycled the pistons through some pretty dry cylinders. Again, not bone dry, but certainly NOT lubricated. Now any residual oil that was coating the cylinders has been wiped from the walls by the scraper ring, assuring that the next start will be one of the driest you can create. Just something to think about.

*edited to add: Winter is not the season when dips into the 40s and rains. That’s late Summer, early Fall. Winter is when it gets down below zero F regularly and the snow that falls actually sticks, piles up, and stays til April. Enjoy the Banana Belt. Real Alaska knows all about Winter. ;)

Last edited:
At a 45, keeps the birds off it and keeps water from leaking past the seal into the hub. This is obviously for constant speed props.

Dan

Back