Seeking Therapy for Flying-Related Anxiety Issues?

J

JitteryJohn

I'm having some anxiety issues related to flying. I get ridiculously anxious a day or two before a planned flight; once in the plane, I'm fine though probably still amped up a bit. I think it's all the "what if" ahead of the flight that seems to be eating my lunch. By way of background, I'm a "rusty" pilot, just back into flying after almost 15 years out. About 400 hours total time but only about 40 or so since getting started again a few months ago. Never had these problems previously when I was flying actively - but now, after the long break from flying, there they are. I assume it's my older, wiser self being more aware of the risks associated with launching into the wild blue yonder. I don't seem to feel anxious about other aspects of my life, just preparing for a flight.

So I would like to see a therapist for some help, but don't want to jeopardize my 3rd Class Medical and/or the chances of being able to switch to BasicMed at some point. I'm confident my issues can be resolved without medication - I've been working through a couple of "self help" books which are helping - but I feel like a professional would give me some better guidance and help me resolve. And if it comes down to taking medication, I'll either refuse or stop flying altogether.

The question is, what is the FAA's view of anxiety issues like these and, in particular, what is their view of therapy/counseling when no medication is involved? Anything special I should tell (or not tell) the therapist? (The option of not disclosing therapy on my next 3rd Class application is a no-go; not my style.)

I'm not an AME and hopefully one of them will be by soon but I'm thinking no, not a good idea and yes it could possibly threaten your certificate. You do not want any kind of pervasive anxiety disorder diagnosis in your record and the problem is that you cannot control what that therapist puts in the record.

Personally if I were in your situation here is what I'd do:

Give it more time, a lot more time. Go up frequently with an instructor. I think this anxiety will get better on its own after you feel more confident.

Yes age makes you wiser. But with age you can also have very subtle beginnings of certain physical issues and anxiety (or cognition or depression) can be early warning signs. I'm thinking such things as thyroid function, vitamin B12, just to name two that I have direct experience dealing with family members. You don't just want to be in the bottom part of the range with your bloodwork. "Low side of normal" can be when such subtle symptoms begin so if it were me I would get those numbers into mid or high side of normal range before I even thought to talk to a therapist. (Thyroid I'm talking about free T3 not TSH.)

Also that isn't meant to be inclusive. Lifestyle changes in general can improve anxiety.

upload_2018-11-12_12-48-11.jpeg

Another idea..... Is there a really good CFI you trust?

Sit down with them and have a good conversation on what items relating to flight are causing this anxiety. You already have proposed the possible solution by talking about it. And with the really good CFI, he or she should be able to help you learn why those fears exist and what "risk management" activities can be done to reduce the fear and anxiety.

If it's regarding weather and bad weather, teach you how to get a good weather report and briefing, and teach you how to take the information and make appropriate decisions.

If it's regarding "the airplane will fall out of the sky", repeat the lesson on aerodynamics, lift, stability, etc. Then take you flying on some really good weather days (clear sky, light wind) and let you re-experience flying, stability, and that the airplane wants to fly and that you are the one in control.

If it's regarding stalls, then repeat the sall lesson, but do it in appropriate steps, sorta like this story from "The Flight Instructor's Survival Guide: true, witty, insightful stories illustrating the fundamentals of instructing" by Arlynn McMahon

Therefore, when a pilot says that he’s afraid of stalls, steep turns, spins or anything else we have to complete during training, I am sympathetic. It may not be a logical fear, but a pilot’s fear is very real to him, thus it will affect his performance and the quality of his training experience.

Ricky had completed flight training elsewhere and came to our school for his first flight instructor job. I first became aware of his distaste for stalls during our standardization training, but I didn’t realize how bad it was until he started working with clients. Suddenly, it became common knowledge around the school that Ricky didn’t like stalls and students should schedule with someone else for those lessons. As chief instructor, this was not acceptable to me. Ricky’s instructor had not been thoughtful in his introduction of stalls. From the way Ricky described his earliest stalls, they were robust. I knew if Ricky was going to succeed in a flying career, we needed to work through his worst fear. It was time for me to change hats, out of chief mode and into instructor mode.

We started about 4,000 feet AGL in a C172. His hand trembled as he retarded the throttle to about 1,000 RPM. We maintained level flight and allowed the airspeed to bleed-off. When the aircraft started to descend, we kept slowly adding back pressure, as if we wanted to maintain altitude. Soon the stall warning was blaring, but when the stall broke it was not with a big attitude change; it was subtle.

I didn’t allow a recovery. Most instructors, when first introducing stalls, are too quick to recover. Directing Ricky’s attention to the nose of the aircraft and seeing its relation to the horizon, we spent enough time for him to see the attitude— something he’d not been able to experience before. At the introduction, students need time to perceive the stall.

We maintained the stall. Ricky was encouraged to deflect the ailerons to see how sluggish and unresponsive they were. He experienced the use of rudder pressure to keep the nose straight. Convincing Ricky that he could still control the plane while it was in the stalled condition built his confidence.

By placing the nose slightly below the horizon, Ricky was able to feel the airplane immediately begin to fly again. He experienced how the ailerons were immediately responsive. We repeated this a few times: nose slightly up— stall; nose down— recover. In this way, he could see that the recovery from the stall had nothing to do with power— it was all in the attitude. He enjoyed several recoveries and soaked in the feel of the aircraft. Soon, he was able to detect the subtle feel of the approaching stall, even before the stall warning horn began to buzz.

Fear kept Ricky focused on previous, scary stalls or worried about the future and how the next one might react. I worked to keep him in the present. Slowing down his stall experience helped him to realize that right now, he was okay. He was in control. Still in the stall, I pointed at the beautiful sky and reminded him how lucky we were to be smack in the middle of it. However, the vertical speed indicator painted a high rate of descent.

To recover from the descent, we added power. Power was not part of the stall recovery; it was a recovery from the descent. This demonstration lasted about three minutes. We lost about 2,000 feet, but it gave Ricky the time needed to see the physics at work. By breaking the stall into baby steps, he felt safe and secure in trusting that the aerodynamics were consistent and would work for him.

For Ricky, it was a gentler, kinder way to learn about stalls, but it was also more realistic. In flight, stalls don’t naturally occur with the high attitude that most instructors use in teaching stalls. Hanging the airplane by the prop does nothing to teach a student how to perceive an unintentional stall.

Talking to a therapist CAN help. But you could also wind up spending mucho dinero on someone who has no background in aviation and cannot comprehend the source or the possible solution.

Spending time with a really good CFI, you will be working with a professional who has had experience with all sorts of students, and has learned what helps these students overcome their fears and anxiety.

Other pluses by going with a really good CFI??? Just $50-70 per hour and no way in heck are they gonna be "accidently" billing your insurance company (which is discoverable by the FAA).

I also think the CFI route will be more practical, since in addition to talking, you're also going to be doing. Which reinforces what you talked about and "proves" to your older rational brain what it needs to know to tell the emotional brain all is going to be okay.

There we go thinking alike..... Are you sure we haven't mind melded sometime in the past?

Probably so, also explains why I say "Aggie" when asked for a first name when I'm ordering food.:D

I'm having some anxiety issues related to flying. I get ridiculously anxious a day or two before a planned flight; once in the plane, I'm fine though probably still amped up a bit. I think it's all the "what if" ahead of the flight that seems to be eating my lunch. By way of background, I'm a "rusty" pilot, just back into flying after almost 15 years out. About 400 hours total time but only about 40 or so since getting started again a few months ago. Never had these problems previously when I was flying actively - but now, after the long break from flying, there they are. I assume it's my older, wiser self being more aware of the risks associated with launching into the wild blue yonder. I don't seem to feel anxious about other aspects of my life, just preparing for a flight.

So I would like to see a therapist for some help, but don't want to jeopardize my 3rd Class Medical and/or the chances of being able to switch to BasicMed at some point. I'm confident my issues can be resolved without medication - I've been working through a couple of "self help" books which are helping - but I feel like a professional would give me some better guidance and help me resolve. And if it comes down to taking medication, I'll either refuse or stop flying altogether.

The question is, what is the FAA's view of anxiety issues like these and, in particular, what is their view of therapy/counseling when no medication is involved? Anything special I should tell (or not tell) the therapist? (The option of not disclosing therapy on my next 3rd Class application is a no-go; not my style.)

I had anxiety getting back into the cockpit after a 10 year pause. Though I was a CFI, thoughts like mid-air collisions and wings falling off the airplane were on my mind. The thing is, once you get going, all of that disappears. On my third solo flight after 10 years, I flew in IMC down to minimums, and it felt great. My recommendation is to do some fun flying trips to get some of those bad thoughts out of your system. I really doubt a therapist can help.

I'm not a trained therapist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night which actually is about the same thing.

I prescribe saving the money that you'd spend on therapy and do the following.

Fly with some pilot friends.
Go to some fly-ins.
Grab a CFI and work on the areas you worry about the most.
Get together with some pilot friends, your favorite adult beverage and watch the movie Airplane.
You just need to get over macho grande.

Not only is the above cheaper and more effective than seeing a shrink, it isn't reportable.

Get together with some pilot friends, your favorite adult beverage and watch the movie Airplane.
I'll add Airport from 1970 to this list. George Kennedy's character Joe Patroni is one of the best in that time period.

You just need to get over macho grande.

Murdock: Stryker, you get that ship down... and down safe...

[a giant money safe falls behind Murdock]

Murdock: ... there just might be a few of us who will forget Macho Grande.

Hopefully he does a better job than Lieutenant Hurwitz

all good advice in this thread. good idea to get a complete physical including full blood work. If all else fails, it would be best to ground yourself and seek more professional help. This latter action would need to be reported.

You might try visiting a jump center and doing a couple of skydives. You’ll likely feel very safe staying inside the plane from then on.

Seriously, get the blood work done. Thyroid issues and liver issues are just two maladies that can impact your ability to handle stress. Health first, flying second.

People have therapy peacocks... therapy lizards, therapy ducks.. why not a therapy CFI? Perhaps I should make some business cards

I think it is completely normal to have some anxiety after a long break from flying. If this is the only thing you are anxious about then I don't think self help books and shrinks are going to do anything for you. The longest break I have taken is about 5 months and it took me a few flights to really get back on the horse, and yes I was anxious for a bit leading up to those first few flights back. If you're flying 100+ hours a year and still have anxiety then maybe you have deeper issues and can benefit from a psychologist.

Go fly with a good instructor and do a lot of stuff. Do slow flight, stalls and airwork. Fly on a gusty, windy day. Take a long cross country over a state or two. After all that, making a quick hamburger run on a nice day should be fun again, not a cause for anxiety.

Fly with a mentor pilot until you are comfortable, I doubt a therapist will help with this.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's actually refreshing to me to know people feel the same way. I find it a good thing. I hate complacency. I know people that fly just enough to stay current, the same people that don't announce their position on all legs of the traffic pattern. Screw them. All of my flights are training flights. I love flying with other pilots. The only time I fly passengers is when I have at least a few hours that same week as PIC. It alleviates all of the stress. I may never be instrument rated, I rarely see IMC. That doesn't prevent me from IR training. It's fun, and a good way to sharpen my skills, it also boosts my confidence.

Another cool thing is I rent the same airplane every time. I know it inside and out. I know the owner. I know the mechanic. When I fly over to the east coast to spend time with family, I rent the same G1000 equipped 172, the easiest thing that I know I can fly. Sleep well, eat well, exercise, and fly more.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's actually refreshing to me to know people feel the same way. I find it a good thing. I hate complacency. I know people that fly just enough to stay current, the same people that don't announce their position on all legs of the traffic pattern. Screw them. All of my flights are training flights. I love flying with other pilots. The only time I fly passengers is when I have at least a few hours that same week as PIC. It alleviates all of the stress. I may never be instrument rated, I rarely see IMC. That doesn't prevent me from IR training. It's fun, and a good way to sharpen my skills, it also boosts my confidence.

Another cool thing is I rent the same airplane every time. I know it inside and out. I know the owner. I know the mechanic. When I fly over to the east coast to spend time with family, I rent the same G1000 equipped 172, the easiest thing that I know I can fly. Sleep well, eat well, exercise, and fly more.

Wanting to live is a good thing. I was very surprised when I went to a local pilot gathering and the subject of training came up. These were some pretty experienced pilots and each one of them agreed that even after getting to the standards to be certified as a pilot it usually takes quite a bit more time before you start getting comfortable being a pilot.

Therapists rarely if ever help with anything except for wealth transfer.

My S/O is a clinical psychologist, and will likely disagree.

I think you're both right. My theory is that talking with anyone will help. Talking with a person who has a credential plus a "plan" to follow helps even more. However it matters little what the plan is - any plan will do - it's just the fact of having a strategy given to you by an "expert" that makes your mind heal itself. And lastly, paying for that talk therapy will make it work even better because people subconsciously assign a lot more value to a thing when they have to pay for it, and that extra value will make the placebo effect of the therapy all the more powerful.

See this article that was written about me a bunch of years ago:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2011/april/pilot/high-anxiety

I'll add Airport from 1970 to this list. George Kennedy's character Joe Patroni is one of the best in that time period.

Murdock: Stryker, you get that ship down... and down safe...

[a giant money safe falls behind Murdock]

Murdock: ... there just might be a few of us who will forget Macho Grande.

Hopefully he does a better job than Lieutenant Hurwitz
Don't forget the watermelon hitting the table behind Lloyd Bridges........

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back