Suggested Tip Amounts...

I like to put cash directly into the hand of the wait person as I'm walking out instead of adding it to the credit card or leaving it on the table. It's personal. I view the tip as between me and him(her) and nobody else's business.

I like to put cash directly into the hand of the wait person as I'm walking out instead of adding it to the credit card or leaving it on the table. It's personal. I view the tip as between me and him(her) and nobody else's business.

I prefer to tuck it into her g-string.

But now I’m not allowed back into Denny’s.

I don't really have a set amount unless it's a really high bill. For example, I'll leave 2.00 on an 8.00 meal at a small dinner if the service was good. If I have a $100.00 plus dollar meal they will be lucky to get 15%. Now if it's a big group that I feel burdened them or they went the extra mile that's a different story.

The more upscale "Chilpotle" and "Fudruckers" style are called fast casual. It is the in between fast food and formal restaurants. I generally find you get better service here for mid level locations; and better value for your money.

Tim
saving literally a couple of bucks is the driving reason you prefer to eat fast food over a decent meal?

Believe it or not, I actually like "fast casual" and fast food over most restaurants. I'll take a Habit Burger/ Inn n Out any day of the week over a Denny's class restaurant. Hell I'll take McD's over Denny's. I'll take vending machine beef jerky over Denny's.

Believe it or not, I actually like "fast casual" and fast food over most restaurants. I'll take a Habit Burger/ Inn n Out any day of the week over a Denny's class restaurant. Hell I'll take McD's over Denny's. I'll take vending machine beef jerky over Denny's.

I was gonna say, "Denny's" and "class" in the same sentence? I ate at denny's once...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..once.

I was gonna say, "Denny's" and "class" in the same sentence? I ate at denny's once...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..once.

Context, son, context.

I usually eat at a fast food place when I'm on the road even when I can expense a nice sit down meal.

@Sac Arrow

Sorry on this one I am with @eman1200, Denny's and class are just an oxymoron; and as such can never be used together. I would have gone with Denny's level or tier. And yes, I agree, McDeath is preferable to Denny's.

Tim

Am I the only one that likes Denny’s?:frown:

I don’t even want to your thoughts on Waffle House.

Never been a Denny's guy. Waffle House has it all over them, but most of the waiters/waitresses there give me the willies!

Oh, you like going to the chinese place!

I learned many years ago, as an engineer that did a fair amount of TDY here and there, at lunch time you can always say "Hey! Let's go cheap Chinese!" There always is one, most everybody at a given site knows where it is, and the food is generally decent. (For sufficiently broad values of decent. I never got sick from one of these places, but haute cuisine it ain't.)

I tip based on the pre-tax amount on the bill. Period. What gets me is the constant increase in the % of the bill that is "suggested". I'm old, but I remember when 10% was the norm. Then is went to 15% and now I'm seeing "suggested" amounts in excess of 20%, based on the post-tax amount. Shear greed, if you ask me. The prices on the menus keep going up, so service had better be great. We've got one waiter we specifically ask for at a local restaurant because his service is outstanding. So are the tips I give him. Other places I'm not so generous.

One that bugs me, and I don't play the game, is people tipping the shuttle driver from the parking lot to the terminal. Sorry, but at SEA you guys getting minimum wage got a 50% pay raise a couple years ago due to the voters in the city of Seatac raising your pay to $15/hour. And I pay an additional $1.00 a day surcharge on my bill because of it. You got your "tip" with the increase in pay, so forget getting any extra from me.

I hate the idea of tips in general and a percentage based system in particular. The old lady working at a diner with low prices is working just as hard if not harder than the younger person at a more expensive place.

I'd like to see the minimum wage exemption for severs to go away so they get paid more by the employer. And yes I know the cost will get passed along but that is a more honest way to get one's wages.
I like to pay people what they are worth. I've given 200% tips, and 0% tips.

I get annoyed by the places that ask for a tip when you walk up to order and pay. I don’t mind tipping a waiter, but why am I supposed to tip someone standing at a cash register?

I've burped a lot of Denny's on next morning hangovers...

It's odd how much better the late night cooks are. :frog:

I get annoyed by the places that ask for a tip when you walk up to order and pay. I don’t mind tipping a waiter, but why am I supposed to tip someone standing at a cash register?

Yeah that's a tough one. Not only because they aren't really serving/waiting, but they are likely making minimum wage or higher vs. reduced like a server.

I have on a few occasions, tipped at the drive thru window at a local Asian place. Only because the two servers that prepare my order are usually good to me and hook me up, leaving out some things I don't want, and loading up on other things I do.

Other than that, I'll never tip at a drive thru that I can imagine.

On the road the other morning, I was pulling into McD for a coffee. Line was all the way around the building, and out in the highway. Almost passed it up, but next stop was a long way. So I squoze past, and grabbed a parking spot.
Went in... crickets. 2 people in the whole place sitting down. 3 staff waiting at the registers.
Got coffee, pulled out before the next car moved ahead.
That's kind of what it's come to these days. They may need to re-design and add another window. Sad to see the drive thru staff busting azz and the 3 at the registers yawning.

Of course, I tip differently when on a business trip. Let's say I have $50 of per diem left, and I have a $20 dinner. I just might leave a $30 tip. Why not make someone happy?

:D

now days you are not tipping the server, per se, you're tipping the whole staff since they split everything at the end of the shift (usually)... So if the food is good, just tell yourself you're tipping the cook even though the service SUK'D...

I drop 20% regardless...
Back when I was in high school outback steak house did that. I was a bus boy and got tip share, which I really liked. it takes a team to make experience work.

With that, I'm paying for the experience and some times one part of it is not up to par and everybody suffers. My default tip is always 20% for average service. If it sucks I'll tip less, if it's outstanding I'll tip more than 20%. And some times around Christmas Ill give a real nice tip if I feel the waitress/waiter if I fee they could use it.

I tip because I don't want to be the dick who doesn't tip the underpaid wait staff.

I resent that, completely hate the practice, and wish it would end. The amount of money the staff gets paid should be between them and the management. I shouldn't have to even think about it as a customer, I should just pay whatever it says the food costs and that be that. I also feel that advertised pricing should be required to include the sales tax like they do in much of the rest of the world. Some of our customs are just silly and annoying.

The same arguments apply to any job. We’re brainwashed into thinking it should work different for restaurants.

Not really. My company's customers aren't expecting me to fix all the software bugs they find in the next 30 minutes (while they wait) and there's no incentive for me to do so.

30% better include a happy ending.

Your server will be right over....

tumblr_lz6c5mKGZ51ql2ilgo1_500.gif

I seldom go places where I need to tip, other than Cracker Barrel every Saturday morning. The girls there always get $6 regardless of what we order.

I've tipped the kid at SteaknShake $20 before on a $5 ticket because he seemed like a good kid. I've walked out w/o tipping for terrible or rude service. (to be fair, I've got 1,000,0001 pet peeves and servers tend to find at least one of them. one of them is if I'm in mid-sentence with my dining companion and a server walks up and interrupts me to ask if she can take my order instead of waiting the 3 seconds for me to finish my sentence.) I'll still tip for that, but it's a pet peeve.

Now, here's where it really sticks in my craw. Most servers who get tips make a helluva wage. And they're not shy about telling their friends that. My daughter has friends who constantly talk about making $25-$30/hr at the steak house after tips. She worked there one summer during HS a few years ago and her friends aren't exaggerating.

What I don't get is the over-tipping at Starbucks. That's just crazy.

Not really. My company's customers aren't expecting me to fix all the software bugs they find in the next 30 minutes (while they wait) and there's no incentive for me to do so.

But not only should I not find any bugs in the food my server brings me, I would hope for no bugs in properly tested software. And I wouldn’t tip extra just to have the server replace my food with bug free food.

I was at lunch the other day, and noticed when the bill came, it seemed artificially too high...then in small print, I noticed "20% gratuity added"...seemed presumptuous.

I was at lunch the other day, and noticed when the bill came, it seemed artificially too high...then in small print, I noticed "20% gratuity added"...seemed presumptuous.

Presumptuous is way too nice of a term for that.

That’s when you pay with cash, leaving just enough on the table to cover the actual prices.

The only time I've ever stiffed a tip was when the service was so bad and nobody was around to complain to, I had little choice.
Usually, if the service is so bad that I am tempted to stiff someone, I talk to a manager. Usually, it gets a resolution better than stiffing would.
That doesn't happen that often. I've had a few times the manager has spontaneously come over and apologized over service difficulties.

About the only time I was particularly infuriated was at a restaurant in a hotel. Not only was the service specifically terrible, but my complaints to the F&B manager at the hotel subsequently got more insults. I can tell you it will be a cold day in hell before I frequent that hotel again.

If there was still a line to add a tip, just write down "Customer appreciation discount" and put in -25%, then total it up and sign. If it's legit for them, it's legit for you.

I always tip whole dollar amounts that are roughly 20%. I rarely carry much cash so I rarely tip in cash. The quality of service received does not impact the amount I tip. This is because the notion that a smaller tip or no tip sends the message that the service sucked, is a complete fallacy. The only message received by a crumby tip is I'm a cheap bastard that didn't leave a good enough tip. That's not how I want to be remembered by anyone.

I recall that a friend had a really bad dining experience. He tipped - but just a penny (his thinking was that it would show the waitress that the tip was deliberately small).

She came chasing him out in the parking lot and threw the penny in his general direction.

There used to be a website where bitter waitresses posted stories of customers to shame them. This is the closest I see right now.

https://www.dinnersfromhell.com

Back