Do you get a flu shot?

Do you get a flu shot

• Yes I do. Thank you for asking.

Votes: 65 53.7%
  • No. It is the government trying to poison us with Mercury

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • No. Just wash your hands and don't touch your face.

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • I get one but I don't believe it really works.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I think it works but I don't get one.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Bonanza.

Votes: 17 14.0%

• Total voters
I do not get it, my wife does. I rarely get sick. I think a lot of folks mistake a stomach bug for the flu.

I get one every year.....never feel a thing and don't get the flu.......

My father makes the flu shot and profits from it. He told me not to bother as I’m in good health and young.

To consider is the fact that by not getting vaccinated, one is more likely to pass the flu on to others. Especially risky for the very young and the elderly one may come into contact with.

It seems to me getting vaccinated is the socially responsible thing to do. Clearly others see it differently.

I got the flu once, it was the only year I got a flu shot. So yeah.... no thanks.

I lose many contracts if I don't get a flu shot. To top that off I'm doing 1099 work, not even an employee.

I have gotten the flu shot four times now. Each time I get sick, and the first three times I got the flu that year. I ended up in the urgent care getting an IV for dehydration once, hospital once with a temp of 103 where they put you under an ice blanket. Last time I was just miserable for a week with fever, aches...

After not getting it for a decade I finally gave in. My current doc made an argument I could not refute.
The flu shot only protects you against four strains if the flu. The more strains your body has been exposed to over the years the greater the chance you will have antibodies ready to defend against it. The younger you are, the more able your body is to build antibodies.
Therefore the best protection against the flu when you are older is to have been exposed to as many strains as possible when you are younger.

Hence I now get the flu shot again. Dammit.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

This will be the first year in over 20yrs that I don’t get it, inluding those years I opted for the mist. That is an option I will never again choose. I haven’t fully decided whether I’ll do the shot again, but I’m skipping this year just because I can.

The worst “flu-like symptoms” I ever had came from a flu shot. Consequently I no longer get the shot. It’s only about 50% effective, according to the CDC.

CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

More info and discussion here:
https://www.nvic.org/nvic-vaccine-news/april-2016/cdc-admits-flu-shots-fail-half-the-time.aspx#_edn5

I'm married to a physician. She neither administers, nor profits from, in any way, influenza vaccinations. She doesn't view them as optional, nor do any of the other physicians we socialize with. I get them free at work.

I don't personally know enough one way or the other to argue some of the points raised in this thread, but I will say there's a whole bunch of n>1 data out there that disagrees with a lot of the n=1 anecdotes here.

As with many other things in my life... I do what I think is right... You do you. I'll go to sleep tonight whether you have the flu, the flu shot, the clap, or all of the above.

I go to the VA for healthcare and each fall I can't leave without getting a shot. Sometimes they have the right mixture sometimes not so sometimes I get the flu but it doesn't last long.

I read an article about the CDC and how they make the serum. They stat in Thailand and see what flu is going around there then they work around Asia until they have a bunch of different strains. After that they come back and grow the virus then kill it off to make the vaccine. Basically, the flu they are getting in Thailand today is the flu we get inoculated for next year.

For me, the vaccine is a workplace requirement, unless there's a documented religious objection (still trying to figure that one out) or allergic reaction to the vaccine or carrier. So I get it. Yearly. And I get to keep paying my bills.

Ever since comjng down with the flu and losing a week (Jan '09?), I haven't missed a vaccine. Never had one before then. It is NOT mistakable for a cold--high fever, sweats, chills, runny nose, your whole freakin' body hurts. Three days in bed, shoulda been four but I was stupid and worked two half days, then laid around under a blanket all weekend, resting.

Woke up sick on Sunday morning; by Monday evening, I was afraid I was gonna die; by Tuesday evening, I was afraid I wasn't gonna die. Worked Thursday morning, shouldn't have. Went back Friday morning because I'm stubborn. By next Monday, I was back up to an honest 75%.

Don't want to go there again. Got my vaccine two weeks ago.

Does your arm get sore? Use it! Do a half dozen pushups, even doorway pushups. Use the muscle some, you'll like how the pain just goes away in a little while. Works for tetanus shots, too. Or sit there all still, and hurt--it's your arm and your choice.

Same here. I never bothered with flu shots until I got the flu. I haven't missed one since.

Rich

Ever since comjng down with the flu and losing a week (Jan '09?), I haven't missed a vaccine. Never had one before then. It is NOT mistakable for a cold--high fever, sweats, chills, runny nose, your whole freakin' body hurts. Three days in bed, shoulda been four but I was stupid and worked two half days, then laid around under a blanket all weekend, resting.

Woke up sick on Sunday morning; by Monday evening, I was afraid I was gonna die; by Tuesday evening, I was afraid I wasn't gonna die. Worked Thursday morning, shouldn't have. Went back Friday morning because I'm stubborn. By next Monday, I was back up to an honest 75%.

Don't want to go there again. Got my vaccine two weeks ago.

Does your arm get sore? Use it! Do a half dozen pushups, even doorway pushups. Use the muscle some, you'll like how the pain just goes away in a little while. Works for tetanus shots, too. Or sit there all still, and hurt--it's your arm and your choice.
Just walk it off!

Every time I get the flu shot I get the flu. And I know you can’t get it from the shot, but you know where you can get it?

The hospital, waiting for the shot.

Every time I get the flu shot I get the flu. And I know you can’t get it from the shot, but you know where you can get it?

I get my shots at work, free from the nurse. Try a drugstore, maybe?

The last flu shot I got was the last winter I was in the Army, and therefore required to do so. That was also the last time I got sick from the flu shot. I haven't had the flu since. That was... let's see... '84? '85? I don't remember for sure. Worst thing I've had since then was norovirus once (I don't recommend it) and colds.

I never get a shot and I never get the flu. 3oz OJ every morning, eat healthy, work out occasionally, and kill germs and viruses daily with 80-90 proof of some sort (gin >60 F, scotch <60 F). Seems like lots of people I hear getting the shot get a shortened version of the flu. Duh.

In order to help prevent a large epidemic, those in charge of marketing the idea of flu vaccination (an extremely useful tool) rightly appealed to our naturally selfish nature:
"You need the flu shot" "Protect yourself from the flu".
I think they wanted to use the fact that most people have an innate self-preservation instinct, and they wanted to use that fact to achieve the goal of maximal vaccination, in order to prevent another pandemic (an honorable goal indeed).
(As much as we might proclaim otherwise, most of us really don't care a whole lot about a bunch of anonymous people, and certainly not about a population of say, a couple hundred million people -- so a more honest marketing tactic would never have worked.)

So it is true, the flu vaccine may indeed help YOU; but look up Herd Immunity. We do it as a group in order to maximize the immunity of the community as a whole to help prevent (or minimize) a huge problem - that pesky old "1918-1920, 75,000,000 dead people thingy".

In short, if people were told, "do it for others" that marketing scheme would've fallen flat on its face.

Unfortunately, these days, we have a growing pool of people who believe themselves to be smarter than epidemiologists, doctors, and science in general - or they are skeptical (which is perhaps a more refined state of 'thinking they are smarter') and refuse to become a part of it.
(In addition, I think there is also a huge lack of 'team' or unity in our country, and our world.)

Finally, I know many of us will gladly do incredible acts of charity for our fellow man. However, I don't think many of us can see that we can easily do one of the most charitable acts possible by being vaccinated; and preventing someone else's death.

It is truly an interesting study in human behavior.

I don't know what this flu shot is, I stopped drinking so no shots of anything for me, period!

Joking aside (not joking about the no drinking), I work in the chemtrail industry, and we're told to *not* get a flu shot, especially if we're covering for someone else in another zone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I got the flu shot a month ago..... I got totally.....unsick from it. As soon as I got it, I felt....fine for the next month. I too have get them for work and I have not had the flu since I was mandated to get one.

"I think it works but I don't get one." But then I let my dog lick my wounds and do not pay much attention to "use by" dates on packaged food.

There's quite a bit of truth to that. Hospitals are probably the least-healthy places one can be, especially in the waiting rooms.

But why go to the hospital to get a flu shot in the first place? You can get them pretty much anywhere nowadays, at least in New York. Even Sam's Club was pushing them the last time I was there.

Rich

Last edited:
In order to help prevent a large epidemic, those in charge of marketing the idea of flu vaccination (an extremely useful tool) rightly appealed to our naturally selfish nature:
"You need the flu shot" "Protect yourself from the flu".
I think they wanted to use the fact that most people have an innate self-preservation instinct, and they wanted to use that fact to achieve the goal of maximal vaccination, in order to prevent another pandemic (an honorable goal indeed).
(As much as we might proclaim otherwise, most of us really don't care a whole lot about a bunch of anonymous people, and certainly not about a population of say, a couple hundred million people -- so a more honest marketing tactic would never have worked.)

So it is true, the flu vaccine may indeed help YOU; but look up Herd Immunity. We do it as a group in order to maximize the immunity of the community as a whole to help prevent (or minimize) a huge problem - that pesky old "1918-1920, 75,000,000 dead people thingy".

In short, if people were told, "do it for others" that marketing scheme would've fallen flat on its face.

Unfortunately, these days, we have a growing pool of people who believe themselves to be smarter than epidemiologists, doctors, and science in general - or they are skeptical (which is perhaps a more refined state of 'thinking they are smarter') and refuse to become a part of it.
(In addition, I think there is also a huge lack of 'team' or unity in our country, and our world.)

Finally, I know many of us will gladly do incredible acts of charity for our fellow man. However, I don't think many of us can see that we can easily do one of the most charitable acts possible by being vaccinated; and preventing someone else's death.

It is truly an interesting study in human behavior.
I see and appreciate your point. I do not believe myself to be smarter than epidemiologist, doctors, and science in general, but I do not get flu shots. I count myself among the cynics who think the merits of the shot are overstated by the commercial and other interests of those who peddle it.

And for what it's worth, I have not been "gotta stay in bed" sick since the day the Challenger blew up (that event made the day memorable, considering I was a news reporter at the time) and at the age of 59 have taken absolutely no medications at any time for 40 years except the occasional Alleve when I overdo the yard work. My family history has everyone living to 105. So I think you can appreciate my attitude that if it ain't broke ...

Reactions: Ted
80,000 people died in the US from the flu in 2017.

900,000 were hospitalized.

http://www.nfid.org/newsroom/news-c...neumococcal-news-conference/press-release.pdf

In comparison, 40,000 people died from car crashes in 2017.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...onal-safety-council-traffic-deaths/340012002/

It also states that:

“Older adults and those with certain chronic health conditions (e.g., heart and lung disease, diabetes and obesity) are also at high risk of serious flu complications that can result in hospitalization. Last season (2017-2018) again took the greatest toll on adults age 65 years and older. According to CDC, about 70 percent of the estimated hospitalizations and 90 percent of deaths occurred in that age group.”

So older folks might want to seriously reconsider if you are thinking about skipping the shot.

It also states that:

“Older adults and those with certain chronic health conditions (e.g., heart and lung disease, diabetes and obesity) are also at high risk of serious flu complications that can result in hospitalization. Last season (2017-2018) again took the greatest toll on adults age 65 years and older. According to CDC, about 70 percent of the estimated hospitalizations and 90 percent of deaths occurred in that age group.”

So older folks might want to seriously reconsider if you are thinking about skipping the shot.

Exactly. I think I'll shift to getting the shot once I'm in my 60's. Not only will my immune system be weaker, I'll also have a better likelihood of being around people that aren't "working-from-home" when they feel bad.

You won't mistake a cold with the flu... If you really have the flu, you'll know it... and it won't be fun!

I got mine today... OUCHIE sore arm... She wanted to give me a tetanus shot too... No Freak'n way...those things really hurt... Owie! I don't think I've had one since I was 12...

So he told her, "if you didn't use a rusty needle for my Flu shot I wouldn't have to worry about tetanus!"

No shots for me, unless they are 200 proof.

None of my co-workers have kids. I can't remember the last time anyone took a sick day. LOL

Ain't Dat da truth..... my herd goes out of their way to bring crap home. But I also blame the parents who effing send their kids to school knowingly sick because they won't take a sick day and stay home with them. This is the real problem with sickness..... Adults are guilty too.... They go to work el sicko and get others sick... Friggin selfish ..... yea, some of you guys know what I'm talking about. If the shoe fits, right....

My annual recollection of the guys back at the chemical plant.

"I don't want a Flu shot because then I can't call in sick."

Usually followed by the manta "Never waste a sick day when you don't feel well."

Usually followed by the manta "Never waste a sick day when you don't feel well."

It cost business MORE money when a sicko comes to work and spreads their nasty. I have pushed employees out the door and sent them home, or anywhere else but here.

Of course not. Show up sick instead and don't make any effort to hide it. Usually they'll send you home and pay you for the day because they really don't want to get whatever you have; and most of the time they won't charge a sick day against you because you did, after all, show up, and they're too lazy to manually reconcile the records.

Rich

Back