• Other

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
Thinking about a 1911 and know a bunch of people here are into shooting. I am limited in MA which firearms I can purchase. I need an ambi safety, and I hate the look of an external extractor. Purpose is mostly just for fun at the range, maybe trying out a competition. I realize these range in price widely, about $800 at the low end to $1,500.

Will be in 45. I like the idea of a checkered front strap, not sure how imperative that is.

44A67B2F-2885-41D0-91BC-8814C381FBE3.jpeg
20D58E1F-0D84-457E-A9CD-0E49A10DEDBA.png 83A5403F-C20C-4389-922F-81C1018885D2.png 4DD398E3-27E9-4E0A-B69A-332150EF1B70.jpeg 479E91FD-18CC-4587-BBF7-F3555C63736B.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t know enough about 1911’s to give an informed vote. My Son likes older, historic arms, ideally a ‘Singer’ 1911.

I ended up with a Taurus 1911 by accident, no kidding. It scratches that itch for me, preferring my HK-45c when it comes to the 45acp.

The 1911 is a great choice for the range.

Can you call it a 1911 with no external extractor? Blasphemy!

Seriously though, you can’t go wrong with any of those. I have a smith and Wesson, which I love. My only issue is that every time I pull the trigger it makes this really loud noise.

Kind of like the which plane for me thread.

In that price range there’s probably a dozen or so manufacturers.

What kind of competition? IDPA, bullseye, IPSC, etc?

Do you want to be competitive or just have be able to shoot in the 1911 class?

If you want it for mainly range and comp use, pick the one with the most adjustable daylight sight right out of the factory box.

Voted for the Ruger just because I LOVE Rugers. Not that the others might not be as good or better.

Closest thing I’ve owned was a Star PD, which was a great little .45, though not in the same class.

Depending on the type of competition you're interested in, and how serious.... if Camp Perry, IMHO, the Colt Gold Cup National Match (used of course) is hard to beat. At 50 yards that extra bit of barrel makes a big difference. I still have the 70 series that served both my dad and I well on the range.

Jim

I've fired three that were above the rest: A Kimber, my boss's Colt Gold Medal and a SIG. I've certainly not fired all the 1911's out there but I've fired a lot and those three still stand out. (Never fired a Wilson Combat.)

I carry, use and neglect a Kimber Custom II. It has served me very well.
The other one was my father's, which he carried and used in Vietnam.
IMG_20180617_125046.jpg
The Kimber gets a lot of grief from "experts" but it has been stone axe reliable for me.

I'm not really a 1911 fan, I think they feel a little crude and are not very ergonomic for me. I have shot one in my life I actually liked and it was a full custom job. If I bought one that wasn't a custom deal, it would honestly be decided by which one looks to the coolest as I would never crave shooting it.

I had a Springfield .45 Super (as in Super Expensive Ammo) for a while. I could never quite come to grips with a 1911 grip, however, so I sold it. It was quite accurate, and suitably powerful if one spent for the Super ammo.

In MA you can only buy pistols from FFLs that are on a particular list. Very lame, I know. Otherwise some of the others you all mention would be high on the list. I have no idea what type of competition I would do, just think it would be fun to try my hand at it to have some fun with something other than airplanes on the weekend. Plan on going to some next year to learn more about the different types of competitions. I don't need something hyper competitive, but maybe just something that would let me participate in a bunch of options to try them out.

I shot a Colt Gold Cup (mine) and an armorer built National Match (Uncle Sam's) when I shot bullseye for the Navy and they both performed very well. When I got out, I sold the Gold Cup for groceries and still regret it. I bought a Rock Island Armory full size a number of years ago and became so impressed with the reliability and performance versus the price, that they somehow started multiplying in my gun case. I no longer shoot bullseye, but I've earned Distinguished Graduate at Front Sight on the handgun course with a Rock Island full size, a mid-size (Officer style), a Compact (Commander style - my every day carry), all in .45 ACP. I recently picked up their 9mm/.22TCM combo and am very impressed with the overall performance of the 9mm. The .22TCM is still a novelty to me - a very loud, fireball producing novelty, but really fun to shoot.
I also got a 6" barrel long slide in .45ACP that I use for bowling pin shoots, that I hold my own with against my buddy who is a CZ 9mm snob.

I have had a lot of these, as I have an FFL and people love their 1911s out here. I would stick with the Springfield line, that is what I have. Get which ever you like, but I would recommend the adjustable sights.

The Ruger isn't bad either, but the Springfield gives you a lot more for your money. Dan Wesson is nice too, if you want to spend the $$. I wouldn't touch a Kimber, I don't feel that they are built well enough for the $$$$

If you want to know the real price of anything, shoot me a pm with the part number.

I have several 1911s. By far the one that makes me feel like a better shot is my Springfield TRP. Look into them. Out of the box they have to be one of the best bang for the buck 1911s there is. Every person that has shot mine comes away amazed at how easy it is to get on target and be accurate. Mine is a full rail version and on the California roster. Check them out. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a Colt Series 70 and a couple Series 80's. But, I shot 9mm back when I did IPSC matches.

I'm new to shooting. I have a romanticized interest in the 1911 and have rented one. But having now fired multiple guns, I'm lost as to the modern day benefit of the 1911.

Cool gun. I still yearn for one, but practically, does it excel in a certain area (seems like others offer more for less).

Can someone fill me in?

I'm new to shooting. I have a romanticized interest in the 1911 and have rented one. But having now fired multiple guns, I'm lost as to the modern day benefit of the 1911.

Cool gun. I still yearn for one, but practically, does it excel in a certain area (seems like others offer more for less).

Can someone fill me in?

I don't carry a gun for protection. That said, I can shoot more accurately with a 1911 than any other handgun I've tried. That's its main appeal to me.

I bought my wife an HK p30 in 9mm. It’s more comfortable, lighter and holds 10 more rounds than my 1911. But my grin is a lot bigger when I’m shooting the 1911.

I had a pretty bad experience with a not cheap Dan Wesson/CZ custom.

Would recommend against, not that it was on your list.

Can someone fill me in?
I'm a handgun instructor and teach CCW/CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit in Colorado) classes. The 1911 is NOT the recommended gun for inexperienced shooters and those starting out for Concealed Carry. For me, the PROs of the 1911 are
1. familiarity and proficiency - I've been shooting the 1911 for 45 years with many of those years competitively. I know the gun, it "fits" me and I'm proficient with it.
2. Trigger - in my opinion, there is no better handgun trigger than John Browning's design in the 1911
Cons for those starting out
1. Single action only - although this is a PRO for me - the same trigger pull every time
2. less capacity - standard single stack magazine
3. Manual safety means 1 more movement to ingrain
4. Condition 1 carry (cocked and locked) freaks people out

I have a range bag of "try" guns I use to introduce new shooters into the easiest handguns to get started with, including some inexpensive starter guns that I've wrung out to prove to myself that they are reliable.
SCCY CPX-1 and CPX-2
Taurus PT111 G2
Taurus PT24
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
Glock 19

Many new shooters end up choosing Glocks. They work well for them, are easy to learn and are reliable and accurate. Personally, I throw up a little every time I put one in my hand :) but that's just me.

The hardest obstacle to overcome for me trying to teach most women shooters is to find a gun that comfortably fits smaller hands, and has a recoil spring/action that they can easily manipulate.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 12.00.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 12.00.26 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Another vote for the Kimber. Never heard anything bad about them other than the price.

I don't think Joyce has been on the board here for quite some time, but gotta throw out "Wilson Combat" for premier 1911. Way out of my budget, tho :D

Been happy with my Smith.
If you are a beginner and have no idea what you want to do, probably an expensive new 1911 is not the best starter. My best advice is buy a used gun that fits your hand - caliber not important at this stage. 9mm is the most economical to blow a lot of ammo through during the learning curve. . Then join the local IDPA shooting group. Go to the matches and learn. It will not be long and you will know what You want.
I shoot both 9 and .45. I reload the .45. The 9 I buy in bulk (not 20 rounds at a time at the long dollar)

To add to the above for others- hold and shoot lotsa guns. The one you like will find you.

For me it was 1990 and the hand feel and my accuracy with a Beretta 92FS was it. No other pistol has beat that frame for me since.

Doesn’t matter what other people think. You’ll fall in love with whatever you fall in love with.

To add to the above for others- hold and shoot lotsa guns. The one you like will find you.

For me it was 1990 and the hand feel and my accuracy with a Beretta 92FS was it. No other pistol has beat that frame for me since.

Doesn’t matter what other people think. You’ll fall in love with whatever you fall in love with.

That is a true statement, what feels right is what you want. I'm just the opposite. I carried and qualified with both M1911A1 and Beretta M9 in the Army. I loved the M1911A1...despite their worn appearance and never could love the M9. The grip was just too thick for me to have a comfortable and natural grip. Best feel is my old first generation CZ85. Love that pistol. After that, it is a toss up between my 1911 and my Glock 23.

That is a true statement, what feels right is what you want. I'm just the opposite. I carried and qualified with both M1911A1 and Beretta M9 in the Army. I loved the M1911A1...despite their worn appearance and never could love the M9. The grip was just too thick for me to have a comfortable and natural grip. Best feel is my old first generation CZ85. Love that pistol. After that, it is a toss up between my 1911 and my Glock 23.

I feel the same way. The M1911A1 was surprisingly accurate despite it's sloppy fit. They had not rolled out the M9's to either of my units but I have fired Beretta 92F's before.

Re: the grip thing, my weapon of choice in IPSC was a pair of S&W Model 39's. The Model 59's had a larger magazine capacity (good) but I couldn't hold the thing right the grip was so fat (bad.) The Beretta was slightly better but only slightly.

1.jpg

SP4 Arrow, engaged in dark ops. I think this was Wildflecken, Germany. The 1911A1 was a US&S model.

Back