Tempest fine wire vs massive

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I had Champion fine wire plugs on my Dakota and this annual (in progress) I am replacing them with Tempest. My shop thinks the massive ones are ok. Should I opt for fine wire all around, just on the bottom or just go with massive?

I am based at 4500' MSL and have a 1.5 mile taxi from my hangar to the runway. I lean for taxi but have had a fouled plug 3 or four times in the 3.5 years I've owned the plane. Leaning and running it up has always cleared the foul.

I’m a fan of the fine wires. I have them on the Waco and T6. Only reason I haven’t changed the plugs on the Beech 18 to fine wires is that the cost for 36 plugs is a bit high and the Beech 18 is the only airplane I haven’t had a problem with Massives.

I try to avoid Champions in general though. I’ve had way too many premature plug failures with Champions

I have Tempest fine wire plugs in uppers and lowers in my Lyc 0-360. I have been very pleased with them so far. I lean pretty aggressively on the ground and in cruise and I have not had a fouled plug problem.

On a naturally aspirated engine I'd save the money and go with the massives. Yes the fine wire are better (that's what I ran in the 414) but naturally aspirated, they're not better enough to really notice.

Back