Thoughts on landing on a road

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Whenever I'm driving I always think about how I would land on the road I'm on if I had to. The consensus seems to be: look out for power lines and bridges and other obstructions, land with the traffic on a divided road and make a normal power off landing.

Here are my thoughts after seeing how many people are unaware of what's going on around them while driving: when landing on a divided road with the traffic, swoop in low and hold the plane just above traffic so the vehicles behind you see you and stop. Then bleed off speed until the vehicles in front are gone and land in the gap. If I'm making a normal landing, the vehicles behind me might not see me in time to create a gap.

Discussion?

my thoughts on landing on a road (besides power lines and stuff) is that the average lane width is about 12'. by my math, that makes the average width of a 2 lane road or 'highway' 24'. making further advanced calculations, that's 11' shy of what I'd need to even come close to landing on one. therefore, even a three lane highway leaves about the size of a, well, the size of something that's 6" on each side for me to squeeze into. pretty slim pickins, based on those #'s. so, basically, I stopped thinking about that.

I’m thinking you won’t have time or energy to be so meticulous for your plan. Holding best glide and finding a spot without obstructions would likely keep you pretty occupied.

I’ve never landed on a paved road, or one with traffic, so I’d only be speculating on those operations as well.

my thoughts on landing on a road (besides power lines and stuff) is that the average lane width is about 12'. by my math, that makes the average width of a 2 lane road or 'highway' 24'. making further advanced calculations, that's 11' shy of what I'd need to even come close to landing on one. therefore, even a three lane highway leaves about the size of a, well, the size of something that's 6" on each side for me to squeeze into. pretty slim pickins, based on those #'s. so, basically, I stopped thinking about that.
As long as the road is wider than the gear and there aren't power lines or other obstructions you should be ok. My Dad used to land his C140 on the dirt road by our house. I guess you should also try not to land near an intersection so there's less chance of hitting a road sign.

I figured my luck would be if I tried for a road, as I got closer I would see a car or something and not wanting to hurt them I would make a last minute change for a field...but it doesn't matter what the last minute change is for...it would be a list minute change which is probably the worst thing I could do. So I am still looking for flat open spaces and will call the insurance guy afterwards.

Field before road if possible. As the cfi who I was flying with yesterday said why aim for a road when you have the chance of getting in a car crash and a plane crash at the same time.

Of course not all roads are equal not are all fields equal. My philosophy is that you should know where you are going to land all the time in an engine out scenario.

As was said: depends on the road. If you have to, it’s probably a matter of survival for the airplane occupants, and while I would also worry about people on the ground, they’re probably somewhat protected in their cars. Probably better than a school yard, or house or trees.

Whenever I'm driving I always think about how I would land on the road I'm on if I had to. The consensus seems to be: look out for power lines and bridges and other obstructions, land with the traffic on a divided road and make a normal power off landing.

Here are my thoughts after seeing how many people are unaware of what's going on around them while driving: when landing on a divided road with the traffic, swoop in low and hold the plane just above traffic so the vehicles behind you see you and stop. Then bleed off speed until the vehicles in front are gone and land in the gap. If I'm making a normal landing, the vehicles behind me might not see me in time to create a gap.

Discussion?
The only change I would make:
1. Remember, people are stupid and will be even more stupid when they see you are trying to land.
2.Land near a bar, or at least a convenience store. You will probably want a drink when you are done.
Oh, a third:
3. Land near a hospital. It might save you some time, if things get out of hand because of stupid people.

Discussion?

All part of the “what if?” ongoing calculations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on the fact that my engine just failed, I would think that luck wasn't quite going my way that particular day. So dropping between cars without hitting wires or signs or barriers may not be in the cards. So, unless the road is a 3-4 lane highway mostly devoid of traffic, I would opt for any available field or open space before that road...

PS... the plane has failed me.... I'm not interested in its survival, only that of mine and my passengers...

This subject is especially relevant for people who are based in large metropolitan areas. :eek2:

My thinking is if I ever have to make an emergency landing I don’t care where I land the new plane my insurance company just bought. I’ll pick Lansing site that gives me best chances to walk away without hurting anyone else.

Speaking of forced landings,

Around these parts, we don't have much in the way of open fields or roads that aren't busy. I'm guessing things are somewhat similar in @cgrab 's neck of the woods. I spent an hour looking up what had happened to the aircraft that I had flown. A couple of them were destroyed in forced landings on roads. The occupants survived with only minor injuries, so I would consider them successful.

If you're stuck with trying to land on a road, remember that practically no motorist wakes up in the morning and says to him or herself, "there might be an airplane making a forced landing on the road today, so I should be mentally ready to take evasive action". Motorists are looking out for things they would reasonably expect, such as other cars, motorcycles, pedestrians, and animals. I have been driving since 1972 and have yet to have to share the roadway with an airplane. If you are low over a roadway, most motorists are first going to try to figure out what the h you are doing so low, and really won't know how to react until your wheels touch down.

For the most part, your biggest issue, unless you are landing on a rural interstate, is avoiding fixed obstacles. In urban areas, roads will be surrounded by streetlights, signs, buildings, trees, traffic signals, and utility poles. I'd just try to get on the ground without hitting any of those, and take my luck with the rest.

Last edited:
No fields around here. Roads are the only choice. Most are very tightly tree-lined and not straight for very long, but I’d take my chances on one of them before I started hoping for a field to appear. ;)

Attachments

• 5DDBC819-020A-4683-AFFA-3E3189F6AA45.jpeg
    5DDBC819-020A-4683-AFFA-3E3189F6AA45.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 39
This depends on whether there are power lines or bridges to contend with, but I'd come in low and faster than traffic flow, so traffic behind could see me. Then slow 'er down and get full flaps in, and traffic will have a chance to slow down and open up a gap for you. I've seen it work on a few videos of road landings.

PS... the plane has failed me.... I'm not interested in its survival, only that of mine and my passengers...

My thinking is if I ever have to make an emergency landing I don’t care where I land the new plane my insurance company just bought.
As I tell my wife... if the large pilot cooling device stops working, it's no longer my airplane. It is now the insurance company's airplane, and it only has ONE JOB to do - and that job is to get me and whoever might be with me safely on the ground, no matter what it takes.

Interstate Hwy standards for 2 lane roads... Shoulder width: Minimum outside paved shoulder width of 10 feet (3.0 m) and inside shoulder width of 4 feet (1.2 m).

I think you got it, bud!

Interstate Hwy standards for 2 lane roads... Shoulder width: Minimum outside paved shoulder width of 10 feet (3.0 m) and inside shoulder width of 4 feet (1.2 m).

I think you got it, bud!

I dunno 'bout that--sure, it's 38' from signs on the right to reflectors on the left, but my wingtips are 36' apart. How often do you land within 12" of the center of the centerline? Hint: the runway stripes are generally > 12" wide. Now add in engine trouble, passsengers and worry about the cars on the road, how much will your accuracy degrade? And what will happen when one wingtips hits a metal post at 50 mph?

I dunno 'bout that--sure, it's 38' from signs on the right to reflectors on the left, but my wingtips are 36' apart. How often do you land within 12" of the center of the centerline? Hint: the runway stripes are generally > 12" wide. Now add in engine trouble, passsengers and worry about the cars on the road, how much will your accuracy degrade? And what will happen when one wingtips hits a metal post at 50 mph?

@eman1200 was measuring down to inches... I just helped him out a bit..

East Texas, with it's forested and hilly landscapes, Dallas, a major metropolis, and West Texas with some really flat, deserted roads and then some rocky ugly terrain are all different animals. Know your terrain, use your eyes, and think through the options. Other little things can make a difference, too, like knowing that your plane can stop in 500' on a belly landing as opposed to wheels down (learned that the hard way after a hydraulic failure).

I fly a 172. Any flat spot 30 or 40 feet long should see me home alive. Then we call the insurance company and tell them where their plane us.

When I had my forced landing last year, the choice was between the interstate (NY Thruway) or mile long flat field. I chose the field... which turned out to be a marsh with five foot tall clump grass. Plane cartwheeled, I walked away unhurt. Had I chosen the road, the [uninsured] plane might still be flyable, but OTOH people (not just me) might have been hurt. I still think I made the right choice given the facts I had at the time.

Of course, had I landed on the highway, this being NY, officials would doubtless have made me remove the plane immediately by cutting it up (as they threatened to anyway, the field was in a state park) instead of taking the time to disassemble it carefully, so it's probably a wash.

Of course, had I landed on the highway, this being NY, officials would doubtless have made me remove the plane immediately by cutting it up (as they threatened to anyway, the field was in a state park) instead of taking the time to disassemble it carefully, so it's probably a wash.
Can they actually require you to cut up the airplane?

the average lane width is about 12'. by my math, that makes the average width of a 2 lane road or 'highway' 24'. making further advanced calculations, that's 11' shy of what I'd need to even come close to landing on one.
What's wrong with landing on a 25' wide runway? :dunno:

I don't know, but they could probably call in somebody to bulldoze it off the highway so it might as well be cut up...
But then THEY would buy you a new airplane instead of you having to do it yourself.

nothing. but we're not talking about a runway. or, maybe we're talking about a runway lined with trees, road signs, street lamps, etc...

I've landed on 30' runways without a problem. But it had no trees, signs, power poles or mailboxes lining ejther side as roads almost always do . . . . . It matters, be ause my wingspan is 36', and my wingtips might be 45" above the ground.

If the wheels go round and you don’t hit anything the airplane doesn’t know the difference between a huge runway and a interstate.

Back