Help with wiring kx165/76A/Audio panel

Skip

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Monte92
Hello all. I am new to the forums. I looked for an intro forum to say hello. I’m working on a C-170 now. It’s in annual and most of the bugs are fixed. The previous owner is an IA and installed the trays for the radio and transponder. He also installed the small audio panel. He rewired the whole underdash with breakers as well. Granted he seems to have done a neat job, it’s made a real task for my local avionics guy.
The local man who’s helping me doesn’t work on this “old stuff” much at his work. He asked if I could get him some wiring diagrams for what we are trying to do. I am basically running it as VFR only. We won’t be using the glide slope or VOR. Can anybody name the audio panel so I can start finding a schematic? Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• 107F448B-BB9A-4CFD-99CA-76F8EA45C707.jpeg
    107F448B-BB9A-4CFD-99CA-76F8EA45C707.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 36
That's not an audio panel. That's a Northern Airborne Technologies intercom.

The company built gold standard equipment. Used to see a lot of these installed in airplanes with older audio panels (like the King KMA 20 and 24) that did not have built in intercoms.

NAT was acquired by the UK company Cobham Plc, and Cobham closed it in 2010. The core group of employees formed a company called Jupitor Avionics, again specializing in aircraft audio technology.

Looks to me you have a perfectly good set up for a VFR 170. Are you planning to make changes? Or just looking for documentation? You might be able to find the manual and diagram for that intercom with a web search.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I’m actually trying to get the radio and transponder up and going so we can finish the annual. The aircraft was local, I was looking for a 170, don’t mind a project and have IA friends to help get it going. So I blame myself for some
Punishment. However they asked me to do my homework on this setup so we can get it going. Next winter we want to update the whole dash and avionics. Meanwhile I’d really like to get what’s in it running for the time being. It seems like this should be simple to get the basic transceiver/ intercom/ jacks wired and running. Thanks a ton for the replies.

Ok this is a step in the right direction. It’s hard to believe the 165 can’t be used stand alone and not have to use the intercom. I guess this is why I’ve hired an avionics guy. Haha

You don't need an intercom if you just want to talk on the radio and not your passengers. Depending on your passengers, that may be a positive. If you want to talk with your passengers while keeping the ability to use the radio you need the intercom too.

You don't need the intercom if you don't carry any passengers. If you do, it's usually a nice thing to have.

Is the set-up not working properly?
Interfacing an intercom with a single comm radio is dead simple. Any Avionics tech will know how that is done.

You don't need the intercom if you don't carry any passengers. If you do, it's usually a nice thing to have.

Is the set-up not working properly?
Interfacing an intercom with a single comm radio is dead simple. Any Avionics tech will know how that is done.

The aircraft had some crusty radios left over from 1873. The previous owner who is also an IA made the tray and bought the newer units pictured. The avionics guy helping me is an AP but specializes more with military avionics etc currently. He’s a sharp guy but he’s not spun up on kx165/intercom/headphone jacks like this. I’m in a pretty remote spot, so getting a dedicated avionics guy to the aircraft isn’t happening. I’ve call 20 of them. The aircraft is apart for annual and some other updates now. So it’s convenient that I’ve got an electrical guy who’s willing to travel to my hangar to help. He just needs a diagram and he’s ready to wire it up. Thanks for the help guys. I may try to make a schematic and you guys have a look. I think I’ve sourced the diagrams online.

I know this is painful to some... that I’m using a 165 for only a transceiver. But it’s what I have and it’s in working condition. I think I downloaded the correct diagram for a 165. Am I missing anything for just using it as a Comm? Red=not using, Green =needs to use. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 7B97C0A3-E7A8-4FBB-BA0A-099FA7CC6CC9.jpeg
    7B97C0A3-E7A8-4FBB-BA0A-099FA7CC6CC9.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 11
I know this is painful to some... that I’m using a 165 for only a transceiver. But it’s what I have and it’s in working condition. I think I downloaded the correct diagram for a 165. Am I missing anything for just using it as a Comm? Red=not using, Green =needs to use. Thanks guys.

Paging @bnt83

Might consider hooking the KX165 nav and com to your intercom via paralleling resistors so you can actually hear the nav and not just the com, 1/4w 390 ohm resistors to start with.

Do yourself a favor and make a fresh print on the computer that will actually be the equipment you have, getting rid of all the garbage that you don't need to look at. I draw them all in (FREE) Microsoft paint lol.

upload_2018-11-12_7-42-28.png

upload_2018-11-12_7-50-16.png

Last edited:
What would I hear through the nav that would be useful? Pardon my ignorance. That’s a good idea on ms paint. Thanks

What would I hear through the nav that would be useful? Pardon my ignorance. That’s a good idea on ms paint. Thanks

Assuming the VOR receiver is hooked to an antenna, and working VOR station is in the area, you might hear the station ID. Some older FAA weather products (HIWAS) and FSS communications use VORs as well. Is there a CDI in the airplane to hook to the 165?

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/1473/how-do-i-contact-flight-service-while-in-flight

It’s not. There is no VOR or GS equipment in the aircraft whatsoever.

Back