So um, I like have these two thick London Broils...

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
IMG_4106.jpg

And I feel reluctant to barbecue (grill) them. Partially because the smoke outside is so thick I can't stand to be outside, secondly I hate to add to it.

I don't ordinarily do London Broil. It is a tough cut. They say if you treat it as a normal steak, it will treat you well. I thought about pan frying them (nearly six pounds of London Broil) but no, I am going to light the BBQ anyway. It was on sale plus the cuts feel tender and plump. So we will see.

The seasoning is McCormick Brazilian Steakhouse mix. It is quite good on beef and pork.

By the way, over 250,000 people have been evacuated for fires in California. Entire towns have been burned down. Just so you know.

Put in a meat thermometer and bake them in the over at 250. You can search them on the stove before or after depending on the effect you want.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

London Broil does tend to be a tougher cut. Cook it medium-well at the very most.

Thinking about you left coasters, as I’ve been seeing a lot of photos and video from social media friends. Wish I could send some of our rain your way!

London Broil does tend to be a tougher cut. Cook it medium-well at the very most.

Thinking about you left coasters, as I’ve been seeing a lot of photos and video from social media friends. Wish I could send some of our rain your way!

Thank you.

Put in a meat thermometer and bake them in the over at 250. You can search them on the stove before or after depending on the effect you want.

Tim

I'm just going to go for it anyway. It's not like a little more smoke will make a difference. Heck, I could just leave them outside for a few hours and they will be smoked.

Tough deal with the fires Sac, especially with the recent massacre. All those homes, heck a complete town, Paradise.

Wife cooks it medium to medium well. I don’t think you can get it real tender, but she comes close. I’ll see if she’ll tell me secret.

looks like you need a side of slaw.

and those fires sound awful.

I'm just going to go for it anyway. It's not like a little more smoke will make a difference. Heck, I could just leave them outside for a few hours and they will be smoked.

The problem with the grill on a tough meat like a London Broil is that is generally is too hot. As a result it is harder to allow what little fat that is present to melt and render into the muscle. In addition, higher heat tends to dry the muscle making it tougher. That is why a low temp in the oven. If you sear it first, that keeps in the juices. If you sear it after, it gives it great color. Depends on how you marinate (if at all) which one is more important.

Tim

Tough deal with the fires Sac, especially with the recent massacre. All those homes, heck a complete town, Paradise.

Wife cooks it medium to medium well. I don’t think you can get it real tender, but she comes close. I’ll see if she’ll tell me secret.

Using some salt or acid which breaks down the muscle, and slow cooking it.

Tim

I usually marinate London Broils overnight in a red wine and other stuff, then throw 'em on the grill until they're just rare, lop off part of it, then throw the rest back on for the sissies who like it more done.

Keeping it rare lets me save the leftovers for sauteeing in butter and serving on crackers with a bit of horseradish for lunch the next day.

I saw this pic today - Santa Monica beach, looking towards Malibu (yesterday):

DrmD3j2VYAAkC0L.jpg

Season with salt, pepper and baking soda. Let it sit for an hour on the counter. Then into a 300 degree oven until you reach the temp you want. I go to about 130, med-med rare.

The salt initially draws the moisture out, but then reverses over the hour to pull salt and moisture back into the meat. The salt further plumps up the internal fibers and makes it tender. The baking soda changes the PH and promotes browning.

Cut the meat on a bias. It makes more tender.
Actually I do that for flank steak. Not so much makes it tender as easier to chew. The 45 degree cut actually cuts across the muscle fibers, instead of chewing through them.

I do London broil on the grill too. My marinade is soy sauce, ketchup (catsup?), balsamic vinegar and some garlic, about 2:1.5:1 ratio for the wet ingredients. I'll let it hang for 5-8 hrs, probably don't want to go much longer than the high end of that. Sounds like a weird mix, but I promise it is delicious. Once thats done, normal 325-350 deg grill, I'll cross hash the outer 1/8" of meat with a knife after drying it off with paper towels, and then sprinkle about a tablespoon worth of paprika all over the outside of the cut, as well as some heavy salting to taste. I'll let that sit at room temp on the counter on a rack for about an hour to dry and brine slightly (important step to allow caramelization to happen), then throw on the hot grill and cook until its med rare. Rare is a little too tough IMHO with this cut, it isn't quite like hangar or flank in that respect. Anyway, thats my go to recipe, id highly recommend. The ingredients sound like they would overwhelm and mask the flavor of the meat, but really all they do is allow you to build a really flavorful crust on the outside of the meat.

Well it came out a little more rare than I intended. Rare enough for me, too rare for the others, but still a bit tough. Tasty though. I have some left over in a baggie. I might just do the fast food salad thing and put that on top on my bike ride.

Scratch that. Unless the wind changes direction radically, I am not riding today. The smoke was miserable this morning, even inside the gym.

Baked low and slow, wrapped tightly in tin foil with some onions and a shot of Wishbone salad dressing. Grilled that cut is tough as an old boot. There's a reason they don't call it steak.

Back