POA Movie thread

Lady Bird

It's an "actor's" movie. A well acted movie, but the story is...different. It's good, but more for fans of "films" vs "movies".

There's a reason why some folks (especially those south of the Columbia River) refer to Vancouver as "Vantucky".

In SoCal, we like to call the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana "Fontucky," 'cause of the NASCAR races there. Rubbin's Racin'. :) I'm more of a Formula 1 & SCCA guy myself.

Really enjoyed "Team Chemtrail; A history of the pilots and their sacrifices"
You can find this fascinating 53-minute video in the government publishing office's protected section. Just use their usual url and enter your chem-pilot employee code to access that portion of the secret library:
https://www.gpo.gov/protectedfiles/enteryouraccesscodehere.html

The Old Man and the Gun. The performances were good, and I'd never seen Tom Waits in an acting role before. There were a few chuckles the over 60 crowd could appreciate. Redford's character was supposed to be a guy who could never give up the thrill of crime, but in the end all I could see was a wasted life.

I'm curious to see the reviews given Bohemian Rhapsody. If good, I might have to go see my first movie in 20+ years.

I'm curious to see the reviews given Bohemian Rhapsody. If good, I might have to go see my first movie in 20+ years.

Have you really not seen a movie in 20+ years?! Interesting. I don't see as many as most folks do but I do see a few now and then. Actually, my wife drags me to quite a few that I otherwise wouldn't see. If it wasn't for her, I'd see far less. Still, I think I'd see at least one or two a year.

As to Bohemian Rhapsody, I am sort of interested in seeing it though I was a bit disappointed to learn that the music is all actual Queen and they just lip sync in the movie. But then I guess that it would be hard to find someone with the vocal chops to play Freddie. The wife wants to see it though so I guess that is what will happen.

It's not sounding promising. The headline of the NYT's review is "another one bites the dust."

but I just watched Infinity War for the first time last night and it was one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Yeah walked out of 'Infinity Wars' saying the same thing. Hell of a movie, (if you're into that sort of thing).
Also, if you haven't seen the "easter eggs" at the end of the Marvel movies, a couple of them are very interesting. Especially the one at the end of 'Infinity Wars' and 'Antman/Wasp'.
As a note, there are more than one sometimes, so you have to sit through the credits to know for sure.

A lot of people didn't like 'Batman vs. Superman - Dawn of Justice', but I thought it was awesomely done.
Like many of you, I grew up with these comic books, and some of the scenes were like straight out of the comic books to me....especially the whole Doomsday thing at the latter part of the movie.
Also, the intent of the movie really wasn't just about the fight, it was co-named 'Dawn of Justice', which intended to be an introduction of the Justice League.
Bad Robot pulled that off superbly in my opinion. Not only did they find a reason for Batman to fight Superman, they came up with the ole comic book way of actually giving him a chance in the fight, so it didn't seem stupid.
Many other aspects of the movie were handled in fine fashion. Damn good job by those guys.

Now 'Justice League' ?? Hmmm.... a few (very few) aspects were pretty nicely done (won't add spoilers), but overall I didn't like it much at all. They made it cheesy and not at all the same feel as 'Dawn of Justice'.

'Star Trek - Into Darkness' was a great movie. Followed closely by Star Trek (2009).
I appreciate the old school movies too, but these were really well done IMO.
'Star Trek Beyond' was good, but not as great to me as the other two.

Watched 'Platoon' again a while back. Still as good as it was the first time.

Not a fan of the constant browsing/wondering if I'm about to waste 2 hours of my life again on a turd of a movie, and I don't have a ton of TV time to begin with, so I'm loving all the suggestions.
Keep em comin..

I watched American Graffiti again last night. I wasn't sorry I did. It's one of the very few movies I will watch pretty much as often as I stumble upon it.

Bohemian Rhapsody was very good. I didn't realize it was lip synched and I don't think anyone else with us did either. They must have done a fantastic job with it because a lot of the music was in the writing and creative stages.

It's hard for me to cut loose of $20 to take the wife to a movie. Plus another $20 for popcorn and soda. But it was worth it.

Entertaining movie. No great moral significance or message, but fun to watch. The Live-Aid “recreation” was spot on. Rami Malek does an excellent job.

Entertaining movie. No great moral significance or message, but fun to watch. The Live-Aid “recreation” was spot on. Rami Malek does an excellent job.

So the movie said he learned he had AIDS just before the Live Aid Concert. That seems to contradict the truth.

The wife and I saw Bohemian Rhapsody today. I thought it was damn good and if you are a Queen fan I recommend it highly. There are some inaccuracies which I understand were intentional in the name of creative license, to make the movie shorter while still providing as much context as possible. Came home and found their Live Aid performance on YouTube as I haven't seen it in a very long time and yep, they did a great job recreating that event. I think they did a great job in capturing the essence of Freddie and the rest of the band and it was a fantastic homage to them.

Lots of trash on Netflix, but I liked Moon (2009) and The Founder (2016).

Moon - 40 minutes in and the boring pace of it drove me nuts. Had to look for something else. Maybe too cerebral for me.

The wife and I saw Bohemian Rhapsody today. I thought it was damn good and if you are a Queen fan I recommend it highly.
I am and we did. Unfortunately both my wife and I have Bohemian Rhapsody and We are the Champions stuck in our heads. I like those songs but they they keep playing over and over in there.

I am and we did. Unfortunately both my wife and I have Bohemian Rhapsody and We are the Champions stuck in our heads. I like those songs but they they keep playing over and over in there.

I’m afraid there’s only one cure.

Pick up your guitar and play the “Smoke On the Water” riff for one hour. Problem solved.

You’re welcome.

There are worse songs to have stuck in your head.

Dig out your vinyl copy of A Day at the Races, slip your headphones on, and sit back. End of problem.

Dig out your vinyl copy of A Day at the Races, slip your headphones on, and sit back. End of problem.

There are a lot of good songs on "A Night at the Opera" as well. I always enjoyed the Quadraphonic recording they did with The Prophet's Song. My father used to have 4 of the big cabinet speakers in our music room which was fun to sit listen to that album while sitting in the middle of the room.

Watched ready player one this weekend with my nephew, we enjoyed it. And Saturday we watched Open range, it was slow in the lead up but actually a decent movie. It could have been a bit shorter though.

Just watched this movie on the flight to Dubai. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, not being an avid gamer. I would have liked to see it back home in the theater room as the audio would have been much better than the earbuds I had in.

There are a lot of good songs on "A Night at the Opera" as well. I always enjoyed the Quadraphonic recording they did with The Prophet's Song. My father used to have 4 of the big cabinet speakers in our music room which was fun to sit listen to that album while sitting in the middle of the room.
I love them both dearly... but listening to A Night at the Opera won't get Bohemian Rhapsody out of your head now, will it? :) Prophet's Song is one of the geats... 39... so many of them.

I think I wore out the grooves in the Sheer Heart Attack album.

Here's one cut that shows that Brian May can handle an axe.

First Man. Movie like this would be good in IMAX.

I'm skipping First Man until it comes to TV. I heard they do not show Neil Armstrong planting the American flag on the moon. That really happened, unless you believe it all took place in some Hollyweird back lot.

Solo was good, but The Last Jedi was better. I acquired a Special Edition 1981 Trans Am in March of this year, and we both enjoyed watching the first two Smoky and the Bandit movies. Too bad the third movie had a Gen 3 T/A and no Burt Reynolds. It wasn't worth the electricity I used to record it. We also recently re-watched all of the Harry Potter movies.

Well, it's a small world after all.

[Did I fix it for you? You can thank me later. :p ]

I'm skipping First Man until it comes to TV. I heard they do not show Neil Armstrong planting the American flag on the moon. That really happened, unless you believe it all took place in some Hollyweird back lot.

Solo was good, but The Last Jedi was better. I acquired a Special Edition 1981 Trans Am in March of this year, and we both enjoyed watching the first two Smoky and the Bandit movies. Too bad the third movie had a Gen 3 T/A and no Burt Reynolds. It wasn't worth the electricity I used to record it. We also recently re-watched all of the Harry Potter movies.

Didn’t care either way about a flag planting but I actually didn’t care much for First Man as a whole. It was really kinda boring. I get it, he was a quiet man that kept to himself but there was nothing very much inspiring about the movie.

Camera work was grainy to try and simulate the 16mm 1960s look I guess. Could’ve shown amazing space scenes like in “Gravity” but they failed in the visual aspect. There were a couple of scenes (Gemini & LM) that I enjoyed but overall, too much shaking, whether it be the launches or just on the ground. Didn’t really develop the characters (astronauts) much. Made them all seem like they lived dull lives.

The acting was good but it’s not enough to bring this movie through the dreary, dullness of it all. I give it a C+.

Logan Lucky

Pretty fun crime comedy. It's no Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels but it's a good time.

Watched Coco last night. It's a pretty fun, well done, Disney family movie.

While bouncing around on Netflix last night, I saw "Tower" listed. I watched it about a year ago, whenever it was released. It aired on PBS. It's a documentary made in a unique animated stye, narrated by some of the people that were there. It's about the tower shootings at the University of Texas in 1966. It's really a good story, I'll watch it again when I get the time.

I recommend it.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5116410/videoplayer/vi3549869593

I've rented some horrible movies lately. Yesterday I was excited because Air Strike came out on Redbox. One of the worst movies ever. After less than five minutes I gave up and turned it off. I'm not a fan of CGI anyway, but bad CGI...ugh. Terrible script...just bad all the way around.

Finally got around to watching "American Made" last night.

I don't know how much of it is true, but it was very entertaining so that didn't matter.

Liberties were taken, but it was essentially true.
And now you know why the Clintons can get away with anything, and not be prosecuted.

The other night we watched "Robot & Frank". My wife, and I, her sister and our niece. None of us had ever heard of it, but it had Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon, Liv Tyler and James Marsden. Everyone watching was surprised by how good it was. I'd have only changed the last two minutes of the movie, honestly.

Watched Coco last night. It's a pretty fun, well done, Disney family movie.

While bouncing around on Netflix last night, I saw "Tower" listed. I watched it about a year ago, whenever it was released. It aired on PBS. It's a documentary made in a unique animated stye, narrated by some of the people that were there. It's about the tower shootings at the University of Texas in 1966. It's really a good story, I'll watch it again when I get the time.

I recommend it.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5116410/videoplayer/vi3549869593

The kids enjoy the Coco; as well as the Wreck it Ralph movies (both of them). We just saw the second one today, and it was a little long, but otherwise the parents get to laugh a few times as well.

DUDE that Tower documentary? Just amazing. A few things stuck out to me:

1. The hardware store employee. He hears shots, and walks TOWARDS them. He also casually asks some young guys outside if any of them have a rifle, which one of them does, and gladly hands over to the fella to use "just in case", or whatever. I guess it was a different time back then.
  2. Again, the nads on the hardware store guy. After he gets shot at, he keeps advancing towards the guy. You don't know how armed the guy is, if he has explosives, how many there are, yet the hardware store guy keeps advancing. He even berates the cops for not advancing aggressively enough! They assumed he WAS a cop, the way he kept going towards the guy in the tower.
  3. Finally; being a cop, with only a .38, and going around the edge of the tower, where you were guaranteed to find some kind of trouble. Was the guy in complete body armor? Did he have a barricade on either side of himself with explosives or firearms set up? He has had forever to plan this day, the cops are coming in cold, they don't have drones, they don't know what this guy has or doesn't have up there.

Some friends and I saw Instant Family a week or two before Christmas. With Mark Wahlberg, it was funny! Definitely would recommend.

Back