FAASafety and WINGS?

LoLPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LoLPilot
Anyone here registered on FAASafety.gov and/or doing the WINGS stuff? Do you think it's a good idea? I joined AOPA and accidentally took an ASI quiz which apparently earned me some points towards some insurance benefits and following that down the rabbit hole lead me to a huge array of ASI courses and FAASafety / WINGS stuff. Thought before I registered I'd get others' feedback.

I've done quite a few WINGS courses/events both online and in person. I've also done a couple of flight reviews using it. Even if you don't complete phases/levels or use them for flight reviews, they are an exceptional way to further your knowledge and enhance safety.

Yes, I do some wings stuff. Whenever I get an email that looks interesting, I’ll take the webinar/class.

I cannot indepently verify this, but I was talking to some FSDO folks at a Little Rock CAP meeting and was told if you boo-boo and they go to jack you up, a WINGS participant is look upon with a better light than not. It’s not a get out of jail free, but you are playing their game and maybe your punishment will be a few MORE courses of their choosing vs the alternative........

When they do the, at fly ins, o bet goth credit in WINGS and a raffle at the same time..... win win.

I too do the wings stuff, always something to learn, I haven't found anything wrong with it

Yes, and yes. And have used the program for the ground items for flight reviews. CFI still does a quick review of the major items he wants, but we get that done quickly and move on to the flying.

There are other programs that will provide WINGS credit, including the programs from PilotWorkshops (really enjoy their IFR stuff)

Most of the ones I have done online have been well designed and thought provoking. The in person stuff has been good, with the exception of the MZeroA one which was more of a personal appearance than a discussion of the topic at hand.

Overall I think it is a good program.

I have done lots of WINGS things and think they are useful.

I have never gotten a flight review signed off because of them. In fact, my basic WINGS entry was signed off BECAUSE OF my flight review.

Most of the ones I have done online have been well designed and thought provoking. The in person stuff has been good, with the exception of the MZeroA one which was more of a personal appearance than a discussion of the topic at hand.

Geez I was attending a seminar at the recent AOPA Fly-In and the speaker stops and introduces that guy, MZ, with the million dollar smile, like he was a celebrity. Looked around and no one seemed impressed by his presence.

Yes I do webinars all the time. Used to be more in-person ones but it’s been a few years since any have been around here. EAA as well as AOPA have webinars too.

Last edited:
We have two safety meetings a month, one each at two local GA airports. Those enrolled in Wings at FAASafety.gov get credit for attendance. The topics follow the FAA topic of the month plus one other item. I’ve taught “presented” a few courses. This month for me is “Portable Oxygen Systems for GA.”

For those in Las Vegas, see you on 8 Nov at the Henderson airport, 7pm.

Hey Ravioli, you might like the one my club is putting on in December... Pat Brown is coming up to do a really good talk about IFR things.

Yah, I liked Pat. Saw him at your club event last year, or was that the year before.

The FAASafety website has links to YouTube aopa vids for credit but I don’t know how to get credit after you watch them. They are usually the post accident analysis. Any clues??

I find lots of the seminars/webinars relevant and interesting and do ca. 20 a year. I have twice also completed the flight activities with an instructor to qualify as flight reviews. But more recently I have found that I can get more out of the flight portion of a flight review if I customize a plan with the instructor so we can work on things that I can't do on my own or do as safely with a non-instructor safety pilot. So I do a flight review separate from the Wings program.

Activities covered by the flight portion of Wings can be covered solo (stalls, simulated engine out, short field take offs and landings, soft field take offs, etc.). My instructor knows that I've done them because he hears me on the radio at the airport and in the practice area, or he sees me doing things like pre-flight and taxiing when we fly together.

I had hoped to use the Wings seminars/webinars to substitute for the ground portion of the flight review, but my conclusion was that Wings ground credits were not a legal substitute for the ground portion of a flight review with an instructor. Unfortunately, I don't recall the reference that lead to that conclusion, and a quick search for this note did not come up with anything one way or the other. So I do the ground portion with an instructor in addition to participating in the Wings courses.

The FAASafety website has links to YouTube aopa vids for credit but I don’t know how to get credit after you watch them. They are usually the post accident analysis. Any clues??
Through YouTube, I don't think the linkages are there to get the credit.

But if you find the same video by going to AOPA.org first and then drilling down to it, you should have some success getting the credit.

Through YouTube, I don't think the linkages are there to get the credit.

But if you find the same video by going to AOPA.org first and then drilling down to it, you should have some success getting the credit.
Have to be an aopa member?

Yes, do WINGs. As pilots, we should always be continuing to learn because there is so much information out there to help us be safer as pilots. Highly recommend.

No, you do not have to be an AOPA member to do WINGs. Completely separate. Just Google FAA Safety . gov
I do them through the faa site and have an account with them. But I can’t seem to find a way to get credit for the aopa links. I will try it through aopa site. The FAASafety site link to aopa vid ends with the vid on YouTube. Can’t go to a test or something like some of the other links.

No, you do not have to be an AOPA member to do WINGs. Completely separate. Just Google FAA Safety . gov
Correct information. Just wrong context.

Benyflyguy's question was how to get WINGs credit when viewing the AOPA Air Safety Institute videos.

@benyflyguy .... I am going to guess that you do need to be an AOPA member to get WINGS credit after viewing one of their videos.

This is based on the fact that I am a current member, and once I have finished watching a video from a link on the AOPA site, I am presented with the ability to get WINGS credit.

Correct information. Just wrong context.

Benyflyguy's question was how to get WINGs credit when viewing the AOPA Air Safety Institute videos.

@benyflyguy .... I am going to guess that you do need to be an AOPA member to get WINGS credit after viewing one of their videos.

This is based on the fact that I am a current member, and once I have finished watching a video from a link on the AOPA site, I am presented with the ability to get WINGS credit.
Thank you!! That for me will be reason enough to join. I’m sure there are some other perks. But that’s good enough for me.

I also do Wings, both online courses and the in-person seminars. The seminars are a great way to meet fellow pilots from the hood, usually there's free donuts :D and they talk about stuff relevant to our surrounding airspace (like how to fly over LAX without entering the Bravo airspace).
Useful stuff and yes, you can use these credits to substitute the ground portion of the flight review.

Back