Epoxy primer paint recs?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
I've been doing some painting lately, repaired areas on a C172, cowls and some fuselage on the Beech 18. Actually came out quite nicely using a cheapo HF HVLP gun. Nason Ful-Thane on the 172 and Beech fuz, expired airliner paint on the Beech cowls :)

I'm lucky enough to have a really good paint shop next door with friendly folk that answer any of my questions but I am not going to use the high-end stuff they use. Their primer alone is $400/gallon.

I want to start cleaning up and painting the gearbox on my Arrow. Clean, acid wash, alodine, then epoxy prime. Any recs for the primer? I might see what Nason has or maybe Eastwood?

Gearbox? Make sure it's not a magnesium alloy housing, then your prep plan will not work and may cause issues.

Thanks but by that I simply mean the box structure in the wing :)

I like the SPI Epoxy Primer, I am using it for the Zenith we are building. They have quite a following if you google: https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

That's a good product. It is what I'm using on the fiberglass parts of my RV-10. IMO, most of the epoxy primers are pretty good and I wouldn't hesitate to use one of the Eastwood or Summit racing products.

I like the SPI Epoxy Primer, I am using it for the Zenith we are building. They have quite a following if you google: https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

That's a good product. It is what I'm using on the fiberglass parts of my RV-10. IMO, most of the epoxy primers are pretty good and I wouldn't hesitate to use one of the Eastwood or Summit racing products.

Might be the way to go. I can save some $$ as I don't need high build inside the wing but will need it when I redo the fiberglass cowlings. They are badly crazed and I am going to sand off all the gelcoat.

DP-40 when I use epoxy. Vari-Prime is what I usually use.

DP-40 when I use epoxy. Vari-Prime is what I usually use.
DP-40 doesn't exist anymore, and hasn't existed for many years. It's now DP-40LF, The LF part is what has caused it to not be the good stuff that DP40 was. I now use SPI.

Might be the way to go. I can save some $$ as I don't need high build inside the wing but will need it when I redo the fiberglass cowlings. They are badly crazed and I am going to sand off all the gelcoat.
On fiberglass parts, I use Slick Sand. It works quite well, and not very expensive.

Fair enough. Nobody I know includes the LF but that’s what we use. To be totally correct I use DP-42LF or DP-50LF.

Back