GFC 500 for Bo

Out of curiosity, how does the GFC 500 compare to the KAP140?

I wouldn't buy Honeywell anything just because of repair/overhaul/new parts pricing alone.

I wouldn't either...I was just curious in terms of performance. I've been flying with the KAP140 and tbh it seems a bit finicky. Then again I'm flying some pretty "well used" trainer aircraft.

I wouldn't either...I was just curious in terms of performance. I've been flying with the KAP140 and tbh it seems a bit finicky. Then again I'm flying some pretty "well used" trainer aircraft.

Night and day. From what I hear GFC 500 can be compared more to their GFC 700 which I have flown and it’s smooth

Out of curiosity, how does the GFC 500 compare to the KAP140?

It's a lot more accurate. It won't overshoot things, lag or oscillate. It also gives you an IAS mode for climbing. I believe that if you have a GTN with the latest software (6.50) in the system, it'll even be able to follow a programmed VNAV profile. This kind of capability was never available for GA prior to the GFC 700 (the G1000 autopilot) coming out in 2007, and it really wasn't widely available until 2017 when the GFC 500/600 and all of the other new autopilots came out.

The timing is great. The STEC 60-1 in my plane seems solid, but the 60-2 upgrade is more than the whole new Garmin system.

Sweet AP and the AML list continues to grow.

Just when avionics shops thought business might slow down after ads-b installs complete, now we line up for a new AP's.

Is it really fair comparing 1984 technology to 2016 technology?

Has the KAP 140 really been out since 1984?

I know it appeared in the restart Cessnas in '97, but it doesn't seem to have been a popular retrofit so I don't know the history any earlier than that.

The GSA 28 servos pack a lot of muscle into a little body. Very impressive. My AP is run by my G3X exclusively. It would be better with a GMC 307 controller, and at face value that’s what the STC system looks like. Good for Garmin.

I know its not really that old yet, but to me the new Garmin servos just seem built to last, ball bearing BRUSHLESS servos with literally two wires for data input, two wires for power & ground, and up to three discretes for trim (up/down) and disconnect (depending on servo position). It should be very easy to troubleshoot and repair the wiring and I cant see any need for special tools like breakout boxes or "system alignments". You can remove and install a different gyro (G5 solid state), servo etc, without screwing up the "system alignment"

Last edited:
Does anyone know what features are not controlled via the G5? The emergency level button is on the controller, but can all other modes be handled by the G5 ? I am trying to figure out if it’s ok to mount the controller on the copilot side and not have to reach for every single operation.

Does anyone know what features are not controlled via the G5? The emergency level button is on the controller, but can all other modes be handled by the G5 ? I am trying to figure out if it’s ok to mount the controller on the copilot side and not have to reach for every single operation.

Certified aircraft --You need it close, STC drawings will require it. You can't select most things without the controller.

Certified aircraft --You need it close, STC drawings will require it. You can't select most things without the controller.
now that is going to be a challenge in my panel :(

I sure wish these would talk to my old KLN90B. The Garmin guys said they wouldn't work very well with the old GPS receivers because of the slow refresh rate.

KLN90B here as well, thanks for the info. Guess my cheaper autopilot option just turned into an expensive proposition. A GTN650/750 + G5s + this autopilot would sure be a nice setup, but the price will pack a punch.

Garmin just announced a webinar about autopilots in a couple of weeks. Some of you should register.

I have a GFC500 in my Bo. It's crazy good. Yaw damper worth the extra $$$.

What about for airplanes that aren't Beeches and are stable in yaw? Still worth it, do you think?

Bonanzas are just such happy airplanes, that's why they wag their tails so much. ;)

Back