What are you most passionate about?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I was contemplating this the other day, and to the surprise of many, for me it's not airplanes. It's cars.

Obviously I love airplanes and flying, but ultimately for me airplanes are, and always have been, tools that help me get a job done. I do want to get the Cub to bomb around in and teach the kids to fly, just flying for fun. But when the 414 was down for 5 months and I didn't fly at all, it didn't really bother me. While I have planes I like better than others, if time isn't a factor and I'm not paying the bills, I'm happy flying a 172 if it'll get the job done. I just want the airplanes I fly to be well maintained more than anything and accomplish my job.

Motorcycles? Again, I have ones I like, but I've been happy with my Jap bikes or my Harleys. Number of times I've taken my Harley out this year? 0. Honestly, doesn't bother me.

That's not how it is with cars. Cars need to fit my criteria for me to want to drive them. In the 50-some cars I've owned, they all have some level of extreme or interesting to them. I also have a few criteria they must fit. For example, I have never owned a front wheel drive car. All wheel drive can be acceptable, but ultimately rear wheel drive, or 4x4 with rear wheel drive as the basis is preferred. I despise automatic transmissions and have gone so far as to forcibly remove them and put manual transmissions in their place, including on vehicles for which a manual transmission was never offered. I like a car that's "pure" with as few electronic interventions as possible - no ABS, no traction control is preferable to me.

I'm also very particular about my automotive engines. I've never owned a 4-cylinder car (motorcycles are different, although even on those I prefer V-twin). The only V6 I've owned was my 3000GT VR-4, but that was twin turbo all wheel drive to make up for it. Otherwise I've owned four I6s (two Cummins, my BMW Z4, and my Jeep Cherokee, which had oversized tires), with the rest being V8s, V12s, and the V10 in my Ford Excursions. Part of my dislike for the Viper is I don't think the V10 in the Viper was all that great of an engine design, and the sound is... wrong.

That gets to another point - the visceral qualities of a car matter to me. The sound of the engine, especially the response of the engine, the sound of the transmission, the feel of the transmission through the shifter (I want to be able to feel it shift into gear), feel of the steering and steering wheel wheel (all surfaces I touch, really), and, of course, the exhaust note.

If I don't drive something with a manual transmission, rear wheel drive, and good power/interest to me, that's when I start to get antsy and work on figuring out how to change that. That's a lot of why I'm building the Cobra.

That's not to say that I don't care about some of these aspects with planes, but I care about them much less so. As much of an engine guy as I am, I really couldn't care less what characteristics the engines have in a plane I fly, just so long as I know what they are so I can know the particulars about what they need.

So I love flying planes and riding motorcycle, but I remain far more passionate about cars.

How about you?

Retirement to include flying ,boating.

BOO...oh Halloween over. Never mind.

*see what I did thar

Probably outside the original intent of Ted's question, but my faith, my wife, my kids, then music, flying (not airplanes as such), cars, the water (diving, swimming, kayaking, etc.)

Outside of all things aviation, riding my motorcycle. I’ve been riding for 29 years, and most years I manage to ride on 300+ days. It might only be for a few miles to go to work or do errands, but a bike is my primary transportation. I’ve been to 33 states by bike so far. If I go more than three or four days without riding, I get restless and can start getting negative. It really is therapy and a great way to reset the mind and soul.

My ride for the last couple years is a 2008 Harley Road Glide. Best bike I’ve ever ridden, much better than the Gold Wings that I had ridden since I started riding in ‘89. The Harley is a great fit (literally - best ergonomics of any bike I’ve ever been on) and suits my riding style (way more sedate than it used to be), plus I dig the looks and the simplicity compared to a Wing. Routine maintenance is not an all-day chore.

Working out is a lifelong passion as well. I work hard at being physically fit and overall healthy, but no matter what type of training I’m doing, it always comes back to barbells and dumbbells. Being in my 50s now, bodyweight exercises, lighter weights and higher reps are the way to go, but I can’t get away from old-school basic lifts with weights. Like riding and flying, it’s in my blood.

Outside of all things aviation, riding my motorcycle. I’ve been riding for 29 years, and most years I manage to ride on 300+ days. It might only be for a few miles to go to work or do errands, but a bike is my primary transportation. I’ve been to 33 states by bike so far. If I go more than three or four days without riding, I get restless and can start getting negative. It really is therapy and a great way to reset the mind and soul.

My ride for the last couple years is a 2008 Harley Road Glide. Best bike I’ve ever ridden, much better than the Gold Wings that I had ridden since I started riding in ‘89. The Harley is a great fit (literally - best ergonomics of any bike I’ve ever been on) and suits my riding style (way more sedate than it used to be), plus I dig the looks and the simplicity compared to a Wing. Routine maintenance is not an all-day chore.

Working out is a lifelong passion as well. I work hard at being physically fit and overall healthy, but no matter what type of training I’m doing, it always comes back to barbells and dumbbells. Being in my 50s now, bodyweight exercises, lighter weights and higher reps are the way to go, but I can’t get away from old-school basic lifts with weights. Like riding and flying, it’s in my blood.

Road Glide Special Edition in flat Red...that’s what I neeeedddd

Learning. Not rote learning but digging into something, figuring out what makes it tick. The process of doing that by myself. My greatest passion is that process itself, not one particular hobby or subject or category of things or person or belief system. All those things can come and go or change or be lost. I am passionate about those things, but what I am most passionate about is learning new stuff and as long as I have my mind I will always be able to enjoy that.

Planes and electric cars. :)

I used to be more into tech, and I still do love my gadgets, but I'm not as into them as I once was.

My family, observing/learning, my dog, aviation - becoming a proficient pilot and A&P, fixing a rusty car.

freedom, rushies' learnin point, good times with good people

all fueled by early retirement

Sports, airplanes, cars, detailing, motorcycles.... leaving class.... That's about it.

Flying! Well, ....that and beer, ...and sex. And, ..... - Nah: Flying, beer, and sex. That's pretty much it!

Things change over time. Always been a motorsports fan and right of HS, late 60s, I worked a gentleman on his late model and then built a hobby stock car to race myself. In the mid 90s I did some more by getting into Legends car racing here in the ATL area. Once it really started getting out of hand cost wise I sold out.

In 1970 I decided I wanted the learn to fly and began that process. In 1971 I entered the Air Force and picked up my training until I flew my first solo cross country. I had 17 hours in the book. Life, family and kids cut that short until 2008 when I had the chance to pick it up again and finished that year. Flying has been great, not sure it is a passion as much as a means to an end.

My most reason passion came from serving my EAA chapter as the President beginning in 2014. I served for four years and during that time things came together and we were able to launch a youth program. We started with a ground school until one of our members donated his hangar to us which opened the possibility to begin our current build program. I work with the youth every Saturday we have a session and it has been a joy to watch them learn to use tools, construction techniques and earn an opportunity to get flight training.

Just this year we have had three private pilots come out of the program. These were youth that got in on the ground floor and spent many a Saturday with us earning their credits. One of them not only earned his PPL but worked as a mentor prior to having to leave for his Navy commitment. He is now learning to fly bigger and better things and serving his country. Our first PPL has now flown 10 Young Eagles this year at the age of seventeen. Our third will soon fly Young Eagles also. We have three others flying now. One of youth, that has soloed, is now in a college aviation program and will earn her PPL there as well as other ratings. One other is in the same college and wants to be an A & P.

It is beyond satisfying to watch these young folks grow and show a deep interest in aviation.

Attachments

• Youth Shirt Graphic 2.jpg
    Youth Shirt Graphic 2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 18
Motorized? Snowmachines.

Non motorized? Golf. For much of my life it was skiing but that was one cliff and 8 knee operations ago.

What I'm best at? Building stuff. Furniture, cabinets, cabins, airplanes....

Learning and spending time with my wife. I don't know anything that can top those two things.

I started a new job 2 months ago and have been having a blast. I learn something new everyday: Thermals, Aerodynamics, Fluid Flow, Materials, Design, Heat Transfer, Chemistry, Acoustics, Testing, and the list goes on. Sure I'm working more and harder than I did at my last job and as a result making less per hour, but I'm having a ball!

Then I get home at night and get to spend the evening/weekend with my wife. I'm not sure life could get much better.

Outside of my family, it's sports car and road racing. When I was 14, my sister went to see the movie Le Mans, and told me I had to see it. I did, and I've been smitten ever since. I raced SCCA for 14 seasons, and since I quit, I've been spectating. Lately, I've been doing a few track events, and I plan to continue doing them until I'm unable.

I am not passionate about boating...I am passionate about driving and controlling the vessel
I am not passionate about flying my 182...I am passionate about the process of obtaining PPL, IFR, mastering the art of the machine and being part of the "system"
I am not passionate about flying my Paramotor Ultralight...I am passionate about mastering the nuance of takeoff, landings and wing control.

But then again when I was a kid I did not "play" with Legos...I would build, create, admire...then tear it down and build something else better from what I just learned!

Recovery, Aviating, Wife. Usually in that order.

And her chocolate cake. I mean, it's freakin' awesome.

It’s cookery for me. Probably for the same reasons that aviation appeals to me. Learning, preparation, requires execution with a bit of artestry, and very few people can do it well.

I also get gigged by cars, but love to find the performance limits in a way that isn’t always conducive to keeping a valid drivers license. So, my vehicles are more of a tease than a functional passion.

I was contemplating this the other day, and to the surprise of many, for me it's not airplanes. It's cars.

Obviously I love airplanes and flying, but ultimately for me airplanes are, and always have been, tools that help me get a job done. I do want to get the Cub to bomb around in and teach the kids to fly, just flying for fun. But when the 414 was down for 5 months and I didn't fly at all, it didn't really bother me. While I have planes I like better than others, if time isn't a factor and I'm not paying the bills, I'm happy flying a 172 if it'll get the job done...

For me airplanes have NEVER been just tools to get a job done, unless that job is "having fun". I've never flown a 414 and have no particular desire to, and while a 172 is one of the all time great airplanes, it's also one of the most boring airplanes ever made, along with Cherokees. But what can I say, airplanes I've felt compelled to own started with a prewar T-Craft, then a few ultralights, and most recently three biplanes.

Living every to get the most from it.

Building something productive. If money was no issue, I'd go into an aviation business building things. Would love to turn a lot of money into a little bit and have a blast doing it.

It’s cookery for me. Probably for the same reasons that aviation appeals to me. Learning, preparation, requires execution with a bit of artestry, and very few people can do it well.

I also get gigged by cars, but love to find the performance limits in a way that isn’t always conducive to keeping a valid drivers license. So, my vehicles are more of a tease than a functional passion.

That's what track days are for.

That's what I also enjoy about flying and driving. I used to say "I don't dance, but I can make cars dance." It's also probably a lot of why I don't care much for autopilots, ABS, or traction control.

. . . I . . . have a very tempting garage.

Yeah, I was going to mention that, on your first post in this thread. Bastid!

I am passionate about saving a buck, because I call myself retired. That sucks this week, as the five cars in my driveway that I care for each have issues to address. Lots of wrench turning in my future, hope to get a .3 of flying in here or there.

Edit: 15 hours to change a thermostat! C'mon, Audi! German engineering is one thing, but jeesh . . .

Last edited:
Flying is number one for me. Especially instructing.

I also love motorcycles. When I was in high school I rode my 250 Honda to the airport to take flying lessons. I always enjoyed the ride to & from the airport. I've owned a slug of motorcycles over the years. My present bike is an FJR1300. I liked that model so much I've owned two of them.

Firearms is my third passion. I'm always buying & selling guns.

Cars are also high on my list. I've spent way too much money on cars & trucks over the years. I just got a new F-150 & am totally taken by it. It's driving my wife nuts as I'm so obsessed with it.

Really though, my wife of nine years is the true top of the list. I've been in other marriages & relationships but she's the best. Makes all of life great.

Back