FAA Typo Changes Everything

Crewmember

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Crewmember
Reapplying for 3rd Class after heart bypass last year. Went thru the ME that I'd used for years on every medical to submit.

Everything was current up to 9/2017. After five months we finally got a letter from FAA which said in bold: that "...the stress test does meet requirements listed above."

We called for clarification since it also said we need to provide CD rom of a cardiac cath, and when we called, they said, "Oh there's a typo in your letter, it's actually DOESN'T meet requirements. You are 30 seconds short."

They seemed unfazed at such a typo that led us to believe incorrect information! And we're unsure what to do. Seems ME would have flagged this as he's done it for years? Mentions an explantory letter from physician if not able to complete...the issue at the time of stress test was more a recent knee injury than a cardiac issue to finish.

Anyone else encountered such a serious miscommunication of information? What can we expect from our ME as far as help on this?

As long as there are people in the system, there will be errors. When it comes to the FAA, you not only get errors, they are added to an interminable wait.

Is there something actually wrong with you or was the record just not long enough?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You’d think since there is a bar to go over time wise..said bar would be a target min for ppl to know ahead of time!! If there is a standard to meet is that standard public information??

I have no idea what '30 seconds' refers to. I would be on the phone for my airman and have it explained pronto. Then I would fix it!
Usually the Bruce Treadmill is a 9-minute activity, right? I wonder if OKC is getting wadded knickers over the OP going just 8m30s because his knee decided to quit early.

Yes, they want at least 9 minutes (and 90% of age-specific max heart rate). Sounds like she only went to 8:30 because of the knee issue. I wonder if this can be explained with a letter from the cardiologist who ordered the test, or if they are going to be hard-nosed about it.

I suspect a phone convo would clear this up ... but their MD personnel change. I only have one go to guy ... got to go to a FAA meet soon and develop a couple of more!

That is why for each one of my candidates, we create a HIPAA to the ordering doc, and to the facility if we can, and a letter in which the targets are called out, it goes: ”barring inability or anginal ST segments on the floor, a/m Joe seeks nine minutes and a heart rate of XXY”.

The letter is the groundwork for when the tech turns the machine off prematurely, in which we ask for a re-run, “on the house”. Remember, insurers only pay for ONE run per 12 months. I’ve never had to say so, but the documentary nature of the letter is plain.

Lastly for those between 71 and 80, don't stop at six minutes. Drs. Z and J want to see the six min duration (age 80) prorated to 9 minutes (age 70) no matter what is published!! Same goes for % vMax - 85% is the MANDATORY denial line. Don’t be bouncing off the bottom! 85% is okay at age 80 but at age 75 the want to see 87.5% or better for vMax.

Last edited:
How did your doctor not know you were 30 seconds short? The test requirements are well established. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or.../guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/graded_exercise/

I’ve been in the OP situation. After 8 knee surgeries running isn’t my strong suit. The final stage treadmill speed was difficult for me. My cardiologist told me I needed to keep up if I wanted to be a pilot again. Those were her exact words. We knew what the FAA minimums were. In my case the 9 minutes wasn’t enough to get my pulse rate to where it needed to be. There are two minimums to deal with.

Last edited:
Stage 5 (12 to 15 minutes) probably requires a running gait for everyone, but I've always been able to do Stage 4 (9 to 12 minutes) as a fast walk. For those with knee trouble, might be worth practicing to avoid the high impact (and potential re-injury) of actually running on the treadmill.

Is there something actually wrong with you or was the record just not long enough?

Had triple bypass last Sept. Doing great now, general health excellent, no other issue of blood pressure or anything. So trying to get medical back. I had slipped in wet grass on a hill right before surgery and sprained knees, so that was more the issue on the stress test than the cardio. If they had just said, can you do another 30 seconds, but they stopped it, not due to heart. Didn't mention timing. My beef too is my ME (IMO) should have flagged this BEFORE he sent it on. Instead we've wasted five months sitting around waiting to get this info from the FAA.

Had triple bypass last Sept. Doing great now, general health excellent, no other issue of blood pressure or anything. So trying to get medical back. I had slipped in wet grass on a hill right before surgery and sprained knees, so that was more the issue on the stress test than the cardio. If they had just said, can you do another 30 seconds, but they stopped it, not due to heart. Didn't mention timing. My beef too is my ME (IMO) should have flagged this BEFORE he sent it on. Instead we've wasted five months sitting around waiting to get this info from the FAA.
That's crazy. 5 months wait because the test was 30 seconds too short. 24 hours (at least Mon-Fri) is what seems like a reasonable timeframe IMHO.

Stage 5 (12 to 15 minutes) probably requires a running gait for everyone, but I've always been able to do Stage 4 (9 to 12 minutes) as a fast walk. For those with knee trouble, might be worth practicing to avoid the high impact (and potential re-injury) of actually running on the treadmill.

?????

upload_2018-10-31_10-10-56.png

I was also curious about alternatives to a treadmill that would provide the desired results.

The question is whether the FAA would accept the bicycle as an alternative to the treadmill. I don't really know, might depend on the condition (i.e., if someone really can't walk, as opposed to a temporary condition like a sprained knee). But if not, the fast walk may be a way to avoid high impact and further injury.

They will accept a bicycle ergometer treadmill, 3rd class, if you can find one....good luck finding one.

They will accept a bicycle ergometer treadmill, 3rd class, if you can find one....good luck finding one.
John's Hoppkins in Baltimore had one back in 2011.
As part of a company life insurance policy I had to do the cardio stress test. Did it first on a treadmill, they "lost" the results so I had to do it again, this time the treadmill was busy so I had to do it on the bike.
The bike was easier on the joints but harder on the muscles...

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

The "30" seconds is what the FAA guy told me. He said I was "30 seconds short on the time of the test for them to pass me". Can you also tell me if this test is required yearly for recert?
Just called and left the third request in a week for ME to CALL ME BACK. Have sent couple of faxes too with request. Beyond frustrated!
I have no idea what '30 seconds' refers to. I would be on the phone for my airman and have it explained pronto. Then I would fix it!

My AME never had any part of my testing. All he did was review my cardiologist's records. My cardiologist was very familiar with FAA requirements. I had them printed out and took them to the follow up appointments just in case. Who conducted your stress test? Mine was attended by my cardiologist, not her PA. My subsequent tests have been done by techs. I never gave it much thought until now. The FAA required stress test was different than others I've had, too. Not the treadmill part, but the sitting down, lying down, and cool-off parts were.

The "30" seconds is what the FAA guy told me. He said I was "30 seconds short on the time of the test for them to pass me". Can you also tell me if this test is required yearly for recert?
Yes, it is.
Just called and left the third request in a week for ME to CALL ME BACK. Have sent couple of faxes too with request. Beyond frustrated!

Ok, translation please! LOL. "Once having gotten the one-time SI (?) the OP (?) could then go back to BasicMed? In other words a one time exam, not a stress test yearly but a physical?

Our ME finally called us back. Don't get much of an impression he's willing to go to bat for it. I think he was highly miffed that since we were still seeing the cardiologist every six months, we just went ahead and asked for the stress test at an appointment. Then asked paperwork forwarded. Get the impression since he was not hands on with all, he didn't even look at it, put his part in the envelope and sent it. Despite his assurances he's always been able to get his pilots back flying, said he's never encountered this situation before. So guess our best plan is to get cardiologist to request a "do-over" since the notes on it indicated length of time it was supposed to be. Thanks again to all for help.

Get your SI and switch to BasicMed and the FAA will no longer dictate your medical testing. Your cardiologist may choose to do annual or bi-anual tests but you won't have to seek approval from the FAA. You may (should) have to provide cadiology records at your next BasicMed exam but that only happens every 4 years.

So guess our best plan is to get cardiologist to request a "do-over" since the notes on it indicated length of time it was supposed to be. Thanks again to all for help.
Before you do this "best plan" of yours, I HIGHLY suggest that you let the AME you mention slide into your past, and hire Dr. Bruce to manage your case. By hire, I mean follow his directions on this page ( http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html ) and get him set up as the AME of record for your case. Dr. Bruce is willing to be very hands on and will provide you with the right guidance so you will be successful.

This can include interacting with the cardiologist team so that any and all testing gets done correctly on the first go. You already have experienced what happens when you manage the case. So to prevent another disaster, hire Dr. Chien.

As you tell the story, I don't think the current AME is the right AME for your case. So switching to one who is will likely be the right course of action.

Get your SI and switch to BasicMed and the FAA will no longer dictate your medical testing. Your cardiologist may choose to do annual or bi-anual tests but you won't have to seek approval from the FAA. You may (should) have to provide cadiology records at your next BasicMed exam but that only happens every 4 years.
Exactly! :)

Depending on your insurance, annual stress tests might or might not be covered, and they are awfully expensive if they aren't. FAA doesn't care, they want what they want.

And I agree with AggieMike, it sounds like this AME is not the kind who makes sure everything is in order before sending the package in. Dr. Chien would be a good choice, though depending on where you are located, there may well be someone else closer to home who would also be a good choice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back