Verruckt Water Slide

I rode that waterslide about 1 month prior to that incident.

Really interesting watching that video as it doesn't seem all that bad.

Last week was the trial of two maintenance workers charged with lying to investigators.

There was a friction mat on that track meant to slow down the rafts as they hit the hill. It had somehow come off or been removed. The two maintenance guys said they were never told it needed repairs. The charges were that they lied about the mat and whether they were told about it needing repairs. They were found not guilty. The trial started off oddly, when the defense claimed the trial was in the wrong jurisdiction. The trial was held in the county where the water park is located, but the two guys were interviewed at their homes in the neighboring county. The question was whether the alleged "lying/obsrtuction" occurred in the county other than where the trial was held.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/state-...-trial-of-workers-in-kansas-waterslide-death/

Everyone has wanted that slide torn down, but with insurance issues, legal questions, and trials, it had to stay up. That waterpark is near an intersection of a couple of highways, is level with or slightly above both highways, and is unobstructed by any trees or other structures. So that waterslide is very visible to anyone that drives past.

Last week was the trial of two maintenance workers charged with lying to investigators.

There was a friction mat on that track meant to slow down the rafts as they hit the hill. It had somehow come off or been removed. The two maintenance guys said they were never told it needed repairs. The charges were that they lied about the mat and whether they were told about it needing repairs. They were found not guilty. The trial started off oddly, when the defense claimed the trial was in the wrong jurisdiction. The trial was held in the county where the water park is located, but the two guys were interviewed at their homes in the neighboring county. The question was whether the alleged "lying/obsrtuction" occurred in the county other than where the trial was held.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/state-...-trial-of-workers-in-kansas-waterslide-death/

Everyone has wanted that slide torn down, but with insurance issues, legal questions, and trials, it had to stay up. That waterpark is near an intersection of a couple of highways, is level with or slightly above both highways, and is unobstructed by any trees or other structures. So that waterslide is very visible to anyone that drives past.

Oh wow thats nuts...that explains why they went airborne...is the water park itself still open?

Yes, but it's closed for the season. That slide never re-opened after the accident.

Dude I don't think I'd even want to be in the waterpark after some kid gets decapitated.

Still, I wish I would have tried it once.

I am a little gravitationally challenged, I doubt I would have had much, if any, air time.

Looks like it has its own TFR while it's being disassembled:

FDC 8/5186 ZKC KS..AIRSPACE KANSAS CITY, KANSAS..TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 1 NM RADIUS OF 390715N0944821W (RIVERSIDE VOR/DME RIS265009.8) SFC-1000FT AGL LAW ENFORCEMENT OPS.
PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT. ONLY RELIEF ACFT OPS UNDER DIRECTION OF CLARKSON CONST MR. PRITCHETT ARE AUTH IN THE AIRSPACE. CLARKSON CONST MR. PRITCHETT TELEPHONE 816-401-7587 IS IN CHARGE OF ON SCENE EMERG RESPONSE ACT. KANSAS CITY /ZKC/ ARTCC TELEPHONE 913-254-8500 IS THE FAA CDN FACILITY. MEDIA CONCERNS REGARDING THIS TFR SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO FAA PUBLIC AFFAIRS THROUGH THE WASHINGTON OPS CENTER AT 202-267-3333. DLY 1200-2300. 31 OCT 12:00 2018 UNTIL 03 NOV 23:00 2018. CREATED: 30 OCT 22:20 2018

Back