Rules question - certificate superseded?

deyoung

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Rules question...

let's say, purely hypothetically, that my class 3 medical expires this month; I make an appointment and do the exam and get it updated, no problem, now I have a new medical cert. Cool.

Suppose, some few days later but before the end of the month, I go out flying. When I get back, I realize "huh -- my new medical cert is still on my desk at home. The old one is the one I have with me; it still doesn't expire for another week or so, but... is it no longer valid, having been superseded by the updated one?"

So was this hypothetical flight legal? Just curious. :)

The one in your possession was unexpired? Should be okay.

Isn't this similar to "My 3rd class is still valid, but I've done basic med"?

EDIT: Post #9 by @tlglenn explains the correct answer. Thanks for correcting me.

Last edited:
Unless someone can find something in print from the FAA to this effect, I see no reason to assume that the previous medical certificate becomes invalid before its normal expiration.

The AME will hand you a sheet of paper with your medical certificate above a dashed line and some verbiage below the line, "Dear Airman: Above is your new medical certificate. It supersedes any previous one you may have been issued."

Well, my question was intended to find out if it actually happened. If it didn't, there really is no dilemma per se, just an unanswered question.

In this case, no, it really was hypothetical -- I realized on my way to the airport, and (with no little irritation and after some should-I-shouldn't-I) I turned around and went back and got it. Which was an extra 45 minutes or so and annoying, but it did make me wonder.

The AME will hand you a sheet of paper with your medical certificate above a dashed line and some verbiage below the line, "Dear Airman: Above is your new medical certificate. It supersedes any previous one you may have been issued."
I just checked the last medical certificate I received (in 2013), and you're right: it does say that.

It does seem like the chances of being subjected to an enforcement action over it would be remote.

In this case, no, it really was hypothetical -- I realized on my way to the airport, and (with no little irritation and after some should-I-shouldn't-I) I turned around and went back and got it. Which was an extra 45 minutes or so and annoying, but it did make me wonder.
I know I wouldn't have bothered to go back for it. But it raises the question, has actually heard of anybody being violated for failing to have their medical or pilot certificate in their possession? I keep mine in my wallet... which is rarely in my pocket because it's uncomfortable and I don't keep cash in it anyway. Maybe I should just keep then them in my plane since it's the only one I fly.

I know I wouldn't have bothered to go back for it. But it raises the question, has actually heard of anybody being violated for failing to have their medical or pilot certificate in their possession? I keep mine in my wallet... which is rarely in my pocket because it's uncomfortable and I don't keep cash in it anyway. Maybe I should just keep then them in my plane since it's the only one I fly.

Ever been ramp checked? One never knows when an FAA Inspector will be around.

much of what we do as pilots depends on self- recognizance. you did the rt thing and used the valid certificate.

Why is it a dilemma?

Well, now that it is posted on the internet, someone is going to report it to the FSDO.

Seriously, think it through. If you got ramp checked, you are going to show them an unexpired medical and they will warn you it expires soon, but will accept it. Otherwise, who is going to care?

Well, now that it is posted on the internet, someone is going to report it to the FSDO.

Seriously, think it through. If you got ramp checked, you are going to show them an unexpired medical and they will warn you it expires soon, but will accept it. Otherwise, who is going to care?

If the FAA busts you for carrying the original unexpired medical because technically it isn't legal anymore because it's been superseded by the new one you left back at the house, then there is no hope for this nation as all common sense has been lost.

Excepting if your new one has some restriction not on the old one and you deliberately brought the old one because you were attempting to fly out of compliance with the new restriction.

So was this hypothetical flight legal? Just curious. :)
Maybe. Maybe not. It's a complex issue of deep importance. You should not log the flight out of an abundance of caution, file an ASRS, notify your nearest FSDO, and write the FAA Chief Counsel asking for a written opinion.

Or just toss your old medical and carry the new one. Up to you.

Why not? He said he went back and got the current one once realized it. He never flew with it.

If he got ramp checked while flying that becomes a different story. Since he didn't "what difference, at this point, does it make"? :rolleyes:

If he got ramp checked while flying that becomes a different story. Since he didn't "what difference, at this point, does it make"? :rolleyes:

I was curious about the details of the rule, that's all. It's not interesting to you I gather, but it was to me. :)

Ever been ramp checked? One never knows when an FAA Inspector will be around.
If he gets ramp checked, he shows the medical certificate in his possession. The only way an inspector could know that medical certificate was not valid is if said inspector knew that the pilot had a new, valid, medical certificate. I don't want to believe there's a single inspector at the FAA that would have anything negative to say under such circumstances.

A current ramp check incudes yhe inspector taking a snap of the certificate. He then returns to office and on the inrerweb, can see the NEXT certificate. He SURE can tell!

A current ramp check incudes yhe inspector taking a snap of the certificate. He then returns to office and on the inrerweb, can see the NEXT certificate. He SURE can tell!

Exactly. Plus they write down the information on your medical AND pilot certificate.

If by snap you mean picture, where do you get that idea?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back