Halloween treats?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
When I was growing up in Philadelphia 60ish years ago, Halloween was a blast. We would take pillow cases and have them filled up with those huge "nickel candy bars". Some people just gave us a nickel instead. That was a lot back then. And when we filled the pillow case, we went home and emptied it and went out again.

When I moved to Virginia soon after that, my first Halloween was a huge bust. We got little bitty hard candies or ONE of those "two for a penny" mini bars.

Now, I am wondering how out of touch I am. I saw a cartoon the other day where a guy was going to have his house egged because he gave lame treats (like a nickel).

First, let me say that I don't like "trick or treat". I think the time for such a thing is long gone. And for the past few years, I have only had a small handful of trick or treaters.

So what is the current standard? If I give money, what is appropriate? A dime? A quarter? A dollar? More?

What do you hand out? (besides a "get off my lawn" shout).

What do you hand out?

I live in a subdivision where the driveways are longer (and sometimes steeper) than usual, so we don't get many trick or treaters. I don't even remember any coming by last year. Here, families seem to be in more for taking the kids to the downtown area where merchants hand out treats, or to Halloween parties.

But if I did hand out treats...

Prunes and bottled water.

Having taken kids trick or treating the last few years, I'd say the standard around here is the "fun" size candy bars. Maybe one house in our neighborhood will give out a full size candy bar. I've never seen anyone give money. When the homeowner recognizes kids from the neighborhood they usually give a handful of the mini candy bars.

Since you're a pilot, you must be rich, so if you want to give money, I'd think handing out twenties would be the correct amount to keep your house from being egged.

Mynwife buys the big jumbo bags at walmart, usually 4-5 of them. We lived on a dirt road up a holler, with only one other house, for 9 years, and now live in a development with 15 homes. No trick-or-treaters at either one, but she keeps right on shopping. Give the kids good stuff (Hersheys, Reeses), not the discount no-name stuff, you'll make a positive impression on them all.

I stopped giving candy and will give oranges or small tangerines(halos). Small toys work well also and can be had for a dollar or less.
silly putty, small playdoh, crayons, decks of cards, fake scary fingernails, vampire teeth, etc.
Rocket balloons are awesome!
Just makes me feel better for some reason.

Edit: also small ziplog bags of peanuts in the shell or other assorted nuts in the shell.
I don't worry about nut allergies as a lot of candies already have them so I figure parents are (hopefully) tending to that.

I stopped giving candy and will give oranges or small tangerines(halos). Small toys work well also and can be had for a dollar or less.
silly putty, small playdoh, crayons, decks of cards, fake scary fingernails, vampire teeth, etc.
Rocket balloons are awesome!
Just makes me feel better for some reason.

Edit: also small ziplog bags of peanuts in the shell or other assorted nuts in the shell.
I don't worry about nut allergies as a lot of candies already have them so I figure parents are (hopefully) tending to that.

Dad always made us throw away anything homemade or not wrapped in the original wrapper from the store. Then he checked what was left for nicks and tears, further winnowing our haul. Fruit, etc., went straight to the trash (too many nutcases put needles and razor blades in them).

So I suspect parents will "tend" to the fruit and baggies of nuts the same way my dad did--with an expeditious trip to the trash can.

For a few years we did a massive haunted house at a friend’s place and it was one of those neighborhoods where they bus kids into for trick or treating. We could easily get 500 kids a night.

We ordered on eBay glow stick brackets and necklase that you crack and they glow.

They were just a cheap as candy when purchased in bulk and were a huge hit. Kids loved them and parents liked the added visibility.

too many nutcases put needles and razor blades in them

I don't disagree, we never ate apples because of the 'tales' we heard. Checked every one of them though, and never found anything.
Probably easier to wrap small razor blades, or glass, etc. in caramels and twist them back up...but no one ever worries about that.
If they want to throw them away they can. It's what they get from me.

I have been in this house for 10 years and haven't seen a trick or treater in all that time. But it is a very rural area with just a few houses around. Most of the schools, churches and the mall have their own festivities.

In bush Alaska, I would buy about 50 pounds of candy. On Halloween the kids in the small bush villages would run up to the plane yelling trick or treat. (after the engines stopped) Back in Kotzebue the door knocking would start at about 6pm and continue non-stop to around 10pm. I just stood there with the door open because I would never get a chance to close the door. And I would have maybe a handful of candy left.

When I was a kid, we would go up one side of the street and then down the other side. After that we would swap costume parts around and go again. All costumes were home made. I don't think store made ones were even around back then. I am sure everyone knew what we were doing, since back in the olden days everyone knew everyone in the area.

When we put the time into decorating the yard, we would manage to draw probably 50 to 100 kids, and go through a few of the big bags of fun size candy. Since we haven't decorated the last few years, we turn the lights off, and try not to be home. Otherwise we would be disappointed by the low turnout on our side street.

We live in a neighborhood of 45 houses. Every year someone hosts a kickoff party, where they grill hot dogs and burgers, and then all the kids head out to make their rounds. We give each child four or five fun size candies. This year I think we have Skittles, Starburst, a bag of mixed chocolate candies from M&M/Mars, some Kit Kats, and also Nerds. Sounds like we have more than we need, we'll probably see 30 or so trick or treaters.

When my daughters were of the age to do that sort of thing, they came home with a big bag of candy. Most of them would wind up in one house where they'd trade what they didn't like to other kids.

I should add there are two families who did not allow their children to participate, because their religions didn't like Halloween.

Live in an older community, no kids. Non event.

Does anyone do popcorn balls any more? There was always that one little old lady that gave us those. We knew her, so my folks let us keep them, even if we didn't like them. I think she gave candy to the kids she didn't know and saved the good stuff for us.

We had a dentist across the street that always gave out toothbrushes.

Back