You really can't make this stuff up sometimes....

hindsight2020

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hindsight2020
Never seen it done before, guess there's always a first.The elusive trike ground loop. I've seen plenty o' loss of directional control on landing, but takeoff? That's a step up for me lol. Twinkie owners, feel free to chime in and give us the play by play on how to master this unicorn maneuver.
I see eff all rudder application, plus wet runway, plus twin differential thrust to some degree, is probably how he managed to tokyo drift so quickly.

Wind looked like it was from the left, so, bob's yer unkle.

What a hack... I didn't see any right rudder in there at all. That dude was just along for the ride...

Jeeez. I’ve had my share of bad landings but what’s up with that?

Likely more to this than meets the eye.

Strong crosswind (?) from the left and the nosewheel kept the airplane straight until the nose lifted. Once the nose lifted, he needed a wee bit more right rudder to keep the mighty beast straight. Apparently, there was a shortage of right rudder and...

The ailerons also never moved. Control lock not removed? Don't know if that explains the rudder, but the ailerons appeared to never move at all.

The ailerons also never moved. Control lock not removed? Don't know if that explains the rudder, but the ailerons appeared to never move at all.
They moved a couple times before takeoff.

We may have a winner here. The rudder did move a bit in both directions, but if it was locked he could have still made the turn onto the runway with the brakes.

It does appear the ailerons never moved more than a tiny bit, and I couldn't detect any movement of the elevator either, even when the front wheel lifted as the aircraft went grazing.

Good observation.

I'm going with the rudder cable failing during a strong crosswind departure. When the nose wheel came up the nose wheel cocked left 20-30 degrees but there was no corresponding rudder deflection (at least from what I could tell). Also, what pilot on earth wouldn't have been jumping on that right pedal at some point. Hopefully someone has the answer to the riddle one day. :)

Another good explanation. Look at the rudder during the u-turn to line up. Nose wheel pretty deflected, rudder barely deflected (0:07)

I'm going with the rudder cable failing during a strong crosswind departure. When the nose wheel came up the nose wheel cocked left 20-30 degrees but there was no corresponding rudder deflection (at least from what I could tell). Also, what pilot on earth wouldn't have been jumping on that right pedal at some point. Hopefully someone has the answer to the riddle one day. :)

From the video description: "Although the aircraft sustained no apparent damage and taxied away on its own afterwards,"

The twin Comanches have a tendency to try and fly at or below Vmca, which leads a pilot to push the nose down, which leads to wheelbarrowing.

Many twinkies have had a smaller nose tire installed to reduced the wings AOA on the takeoff roll.

This looks like what happened here - pilot using to much forward elevator to hold it on, lifted the mains, allowing the side slip and drift to start.

(I have been in a single Comanche when they landed with to much forward trim and when they released back pressure on touchdown, the nose wheel plunked on, the mains came up and off the runway we went)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Podunk tower, Twin Comanche Sierra Zulu requesting early turn out upon departure"

I looked at it again in slo mo and there is rudder movement continuity when the nosewheel makes second contact with the ground and casters right. The rudder moved to the right just like the nosewheel. Look at frames 0:40-0:41.

I think @Tflhndn nailed it. You can see the left main ever so slightly go airborne before the nosewheel and right main, and the weathervaning starts in earnest. Frame 0:36, unfortunately the camera re-focuses in that frame so it's blurry. Best viewed by pausing the video and looking at the tires. Wheelbarrow city. Easier to do in the comanche due to the ground angle of incidence and main sized nosewheel tire. That guy put zero rudder input through that whole mess, even applying some left rudder while crabbed to the left immediately upon liftoff. WTF.

Actually I've heard this scenario play out before. Think Carrie underwood made a song about it :D

All I hear is my instructor

"More right rudder.... more... more... more... Ok, that's good for today. How about we taxi back to the hangar so I can change my shorts?"

5NvsU7O.gif
[

The twin Comanches have a tendency to try and fly at or below Vmca, which leads a pilot to push the nose down, which leads to wheelbarrowing.

Mooneys do the same thing, somewhere along the takeoff roll they start to bounce around, and that's your clue it's ready to fly. It often happens before Vr, but no matter, it's time to go. If you keep it on the ground, things get real squirrely.

Ok, just watched it again in super duper slowmo.

In one frame and one frame only, in the very top left corner of the shot you will see something.

It appears to be someone holding a sign that says free beer here.

So tell me, how many folks here would take the time to taxi back and park when there is a limited supply of free beer.???

It’s been called the “Twin Squirrel” for years. Maybe that a reference to the two pilots.

It’s been called the “Twin Squirrel” for years. Maybe that a reference to the two pilots.

Interesting. In the 10 years I've been lurking/posting on av forums including type specific boards, I've never heard the Twinkie referred to by that moniker.

Interesting. In the 10 years I've been lurking/posting on av forums including type specific boards, I've never heard the Twinkie referred to by that moniker.
Just get a 310.... the centerline will curve towards you.

NA of course then you don’t have the high altitude worries.:)

More interestingly why do we have a near perfect video of something going awry that results in no damage whatsoever???
Hum..........

More interestingly why do we have a near perfect video of something going awry that results in no damage whatsoever???
Hum..........

There was an awful sideload on the gear. I'm guessing there's going to be an inspection needed...:yes:

I’m getting ready to start multi. Could this be partial power loss on left engine followed by being too slow to reduce power on the right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m getting ready to start multi. Could this be partial power loss on left engine followed by being too slow to reduce power on the right?

Maybe, but probably just a second of inattention to directional control as the pilot briefly looked at the tachometers to be sure there was even power between the two engines. That brief look and keeping directional control is the absolute hardest part of learning to fly twins.....

Ok... just kidding ya there..... multi is a lot of fun. I suggest working out the leg muscles in preparation of one engine out operations. After one lesson one of your legs will be shaking from working the rudder....:lol::lol:

Back