Training in the CJ 6

always wondered why more people didn’t buy those.

In my case, I thought they cost lots lots more than what they really do, as soon as I found the prices I wanted one and bought one after a short search.

No idea what is the reasoning, the russians Yaks also have them like that.
Mixture its also backwards, all the way back = full rich, all the way forward full lean.
Mags ON all the way to the left, mags OFF all the way to the right.
Pneumatic systems for flaps, brakes, starter, you need to conserve your air.

No idea what is the reasoning, the russians Yaks also have them like that.
Mixture its also backwards, all the way back = full rich, all the way forward full lean.
Mags ON all the way to the left, mags OFF all the way to the right.
Pneumatic systems for flaps, brakes, starter, you need to conserve your air.
I bet that takes some getting used to, not to mention using left rudder instead of right. I’d basically have to retrain my brain if I flew one’a those.

Great video. Thanks for sharing!

Cool vid! Thanks! Kinda trippy to see the ADI pitching the wrong way, along with the pilot fan. When are you going to do barrel rolls and loop-dee-loops?

There are about 5 of these based at my home airport (N14). They are usually out all flying formation, pretty cool. The MX shop on the field specializes in servicing them and the owner owns one himself. Very cool planes and surprisingly cheap for what they are.

beautiful bird. congrats! thanks for posting.

Great plane, but one question...

What is the mirror for? Doing your makeup in flight?

Great plane, but one question...

What is the mirror for? Doing your makeup in flight?

So you can see that bastard on your six about to smoke you! Many, if not all, fighters have mirrors. Here’s an F-15:

EBCFB3FE-9305-489C-8AAA-8A9D447115B0.gif

How is the aircraft registered?

It's a very cool airplane. I've always found the closeable cowl shutters on Russian and Chinese aircraft interesting. I guess winter temps in the minus 50 range require something more drastic than cowl flaps.

The Polikarpov I-16 is a good example of that.

i16-type6-1-roy.jpg

We had one at my old field. Guy who owned it was a wannabe fighter pilot. Even made up his own call sign (Red Star) that he used with ATC. He used to do aerobatics while in the pattern (short final) and would “jump” me and my students in the Black Hawk. “That’s a guns kill Army!” Dude made me laugh.:D

Always liked the CJ / Yak series and was a realistic runner during my pane search. Acquisition and maintenance were just outside my comfort level and the fact you can get the biggest bang for the buck with a EAB. If your goal is a first warbird though, then you can’t go wrong with a CJ.

Last edited:
Back