first 1000 hours of dual given.

falconkidding

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Falcon Kidding
I started work as a cfi near the end of February and have survived my 1st 1k hours quite a bit easier than i expected. I've solo'd about 65 students ( with only one issue when someone hit a taxi light) . Checkrides I have some passes and 1 failure (he busted on shortfield). Given multiple flight reviews, and checkouts. I also have a bit over 5k landings at this point.

I've added a few experiences, had a student kill an engine on power on stall recovery(took 30-40 seconds to get a restart), had a magneto failure, had an electronic ignition failure, and an electrical failure in flight. Had a rudder get stuck 75% deflection for a few minutes, had an asi go to zero in flight, lost a vacuum pump and lost a few attitude indicators. Had a few 1 turn spins from stalls.

Have had a few cool experiences, lots of golden hour flights watching the sun set over the water. Some formation flying. Get to see a lot of mil traffic, and interact with a lot unique traffic. Get to grab lunch at dauphin island.

Overall i've enjoyed my time as a CFI that said I probably won't ever instruct at the private level after I get another 180 hours. Its super rewarding and I feel motivated when i have a student that even looks ahead or ask me a question but its about 80% that don't care to learn.

Hopefully in a few years i'll have the money to get back to instructing for something like aero, or tailwheel.
1300hrs down 175 to go(hopefully).

Why not continue to instruct, freelance is a different demographic worth looking into.

Personally I’ve found it very enjoyable, especially 0 time to PPL as well as specialty training.

Congrats man! Keep up the good work!

what's the story on?
Less interesting than youd think. Just out of 100 hr and a interior trim piece jammed the right pedal in place. Took a few min to discover the cause then pry it loose.

Why not continue to instruct, freelance is a different demographic worth looking into.

Personally I’ve found it very enjoyable, especially 0 time to PPL as well as specialty training.
yeah i might freelance. If i could 0 time to ppl and only with people i choose id probably enjoy it.

1,000 hours since February? That's nearly four hours a day—including weekends!

It is easy to do if you never get wind, rain, snow, low vis or ceilings.

Guess that’s why many flight schools are located in those places that favor it eh? Where I’m at, except for snow, we get all those conditions you mentioned and I was able to fly 8-1000 hours a year. Of course some was instrument students and actual, but still flight instruction.

Last edited:
I've added a few experiences, had a student kill an engine on power on stall recovery(took 30-40 seconds to get a restart)

I'm curious about this one. Too hard a push into negative G territory? Power on stall recovery should be simple, since you are already at full power just lower the nose and get flying again.

I'm curious about this one. Too hard a push into negative G territory? Power on stall recovery should be simple, since you are already at full power just lower the nose and get flying again.
Yeah went negative. My demo and explination of just let the nose fall to the horizoni guess wasnt clear and we went negative. Pa28s seem to die at the slightest neg g vs cessnas. Usually they dont take as long to restart as it did that one time.

I'm forecasting a recession by Q3CY19, so you better hurry up and upgrade to CA at the regional before this musical chair stops again! :D /TC

Seriously, enjoy it, and be careful with burning out. I know a lot of airline folks who won't touch a piston aircraft due to their perspective on it being essentially hi-jacked by having pursued it with the hurry you seem to be in. But, I also have airline guys very much involved in general aviation ownership, aerobatic circuits, bush flying, the works. I know that range of experiences is hardly a monolith, and I'm not trying to --t on your high right now, just keep yourself balanced. Airline flying could be anti-climatic for you, especially if you hit the upcoming recession while in the wrong seat, relative seniority, or airline. Don't let time building ruin an otherwise good thing for you. Good luck to ya.

I know CFIs are needed, and I really enjoyed instructing, but the private airport I was instructing at hit hard times so I moved on.

I went to Alaska at something like 8 or 900 hours.

Back