Eating a valve?

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
Sorry to sound silly, but I’ve seen a few references to this term but don’t really know what this actually means.

Is the valve failing to spring back and gets struck by the piston?

The expression isn’t clear enough to allow me to understand the actual failure.

Either the retainers fallout and the valve drops into the cylinder, or the head brakes off. Either way, it is then pounded around by the piston destroyin the piston, head, and cylinder.

Either the retainers fallout and the valve drops into the cylinder, or the head brakes off. Either way, it is then pounded around by the piston destroyin the piston, head, and cylinder.

Ours was the second case, valve head broke off and destroyed the cylinder/piston.

Mine broke off at the stem, beat around in the cylinder and exited out the exhaust. Shook the living bejesus out of the plane at anything above idle but kept running until I got it on the ground.

Cheers

Mine broke off at the stem, beat around in the cylinder and exited out the exhaust. Shook the living bejesus out of the plane at anything above idle but kept running until I got it on the ground.

Good for you! Ours bit it on runup, and yeah, it shook like a wet dog.

Cheers
Similar to mine, except the whole valve top (after beating the heck out of the piston and cylinder walls) got stuck sideways in the top of the cylinder.

Made for a nice souvenir.

Although in my case, when you have 9 cylinders, it kept on running but with just a little noticeable roughness. I knew something want right, but thought it was an induction leak from something coming loose.

Kind of like the single vs twin debate. With more cylinders you have a better chance of making usable power to stay in the air but you have more chances of something coming apart haha.

I have always wondered if 6+ cylinder engines have a better probability of continuing to run after a catastrophic failure than a 4 cylinder one.

Anyways, sorry to stray off topic.

I have always wondered if 6+ cylinder engines have a better probability of continuing to run after a catastrophic failure than a 4 cylinder one.
In my case, I suspect the radial arrangement vs horizontally opposed, helped.

Eating a valve..... how simple can it be.??

I had a valve break in a race engine at around 140 to 150. It bounced around destroying the piston, which those pieces then went though the intake to the other bank, destroying two more pistons, which bent a rod enough to cause it to hit the side of the block, breaking the block and the crank. That in turn dumped the coolant on the track and under the rear tires, which caused a severe loss of traction. That loss of traction caused the car to swap ends about 1.5 times before the wall reached down and caught the car in the left rear corner. There were no soft walls then. That impact knocked the breath out of me. That impact also knocked the rear end forward about a foot, breaking the case of the transmission, which at that time the transmission decided to try to come up into the driver compartment with me. The shifter hit my right leg hard enough that I thought the thigh bone was broken.

I finally got my foot on the brake pedal and several hours later, or seconds I can't remember which, the car came to a stop down in the grass. The crash rescue guys were there pretty quickly. The first guy realized I was having trouble breathing and motioned for the medics to hurry up. Fortunately they realized all that was wrong was I had the breath knocked out of me. I kept pointing to my right leg, motioning my hands like I was breaking a stick and they realized my leg was hurt.

The medics would not let me take my helmet off, which is something I really wanted to do. Two guys worked with me to get my breathing back. Through hand motions I let them know my neck felt fine, it was just my leg hurting. When I could finally talk, I said I need to take this $#@% hemet off.!! They finally did let me take it off. The rescue guys ended up cutting the roof off so they could stabilize my back and leg. Once the back board was under me and my head was severely stabilized to it, they lifted me straight up just enough to put an air splint on my leg. After that they strapped both legs to the back board and then finally got me out of the car.

A quick trip to the hospital showed my leg was fine. My neck, which I never complained about, was also fine. The car was.....totaled to say the least. The engine was destroyed. So was the transmission. Even the steering wheel was bent. The seat and the belts did their job. The main part of the roll cage did its job. The crumple sections in the rear did their job. The fuel cell held up and not a drop was spilled. The seat and the rear axle was used later in a dirt track car.

The wrecker did its job as well. And so ended my spectacular ARCA series career after 4 races.

All because of a simple broken valve...:lol::lol:

But I can look back and say at least it was not as bad a day as this guy is having....

e6008aa21d69e645d4734c2b347c944f.jpg

I had a valve break in a race engine at around 140 to 150. It bounced around destroying the piston, which those pieces then went though the intake to the other bank, destroying two more pistons, which bent a rod enough to cause it to hit the side of the block, breaking the block and the crank. That in turn dumped the coolant on the track and under the rear tires, which caused a severe loss of traction. That loss of traction caused the car to swap ends about 1.5 times before the wall reached down and caught the car in the left rear corner. There were no soft walls then. That impact knocked the breath out of me. That impact also knocked the rear end forward about a foot, breaking the case of the transmission, which at that time the transmission decided to try to come up into the driver compartment with me. The shifter hit my right leg hard enough that I thought the thigh bone was broken.

I finally got my foot on the brake pedal and several hours later, or seconds I can't remember which, the car came to a stop down in the grass. The crash rescue guys were there pretty quickly. The first guy realized I was having trouble breathing and motioned for the medics to hurry up. Fortunately they realized all that was wrong was I had the breath knocked out of me. I kept pointing to my right leg, motioning my hands like I was breaking a stick and they realized my leg was hurt.

The medics would not let me take my helmet off, which is something I really wanted to do. Two guys worked with me to get my breathing back. Through hand motions I let them know my neck felt fine, it was just my leg hurting. When I could finally talk, I said I need to take this $#@% hemet off.!! They finally did let me take it off. The rescue guys ended up cutting the roof off so they could stabilize my back and leg. Once the back board was under me and my head was severely stabilized to it, they lifted me straight up just enough to put an air splint on my leg. After that they strapped both legs to the back board and then finally got me out of the car.

A quick trip to the hospital showed my leg was fine. My neck, which I never complained about, was also fine. The car was.....totaled to say the least. The engine was destroyed. So was the transmission. Even the steering wheel was bent. The seat and the belts did their job. The main part of the roll cage did its job. The crumple sections in the rear did their job. The fuel cell held up and not a drop was spilled. The seat and the rear axle was used later in a dirt track car.

The wrecker did its job as well. And so ended my spectacular ARCA series career after 4 races.

But I can look back and say at least it was not as bad a day as this guy is having....

That guy looks like he’s ready to earn a pilot’s license. Or perhaps preparing for a space walk. Cool story though, glad you came out of it okay

Here's what it looks like. This came out of an IO-360 in an M20J. That little knob is the exhaust valve rolled up into a tube. High RPM and low MP kept the motor running and we made it to the airport.

piston.jpg

Here's what it looks like. This came out of an IO-360 in an M20J. That little knob is the exhaust valve rolled up into a tube. High RPM and low MP kept the motor running and we made it to the airport.

piston.jpg
Yikes! Was this recent?

You win the internet for eating a valve story. :)

What a big block chevy looks like when the valve brakes off:

I'll stick to bivalves.

I'll stick to bivalves.

Don't do that to me when I have a mouth full of scotch! Woo! You win the internet tonight!

-Skip

ps: to make this aviation related: My wife is flying home from Croatia ZAG-LHR-JFK tonight.

op mighta preferred not knowing what EAV is about

Slow cook, salt, pepper and a little garlic salad on the side is how I like mine served......:rolleyes:

bottom line is if you only have 1 & IT goes down or grenades vs having a spare, you then only have to worry about the downhill part

Last edited:
Back