AOE sectional

Stets656

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
On the sectional chart, we all know the AOE stands for airport of entry which means they can process international arrivals with customs and such. my question is, why don't some of these bigger Class B airports like O'Hare and Minneapolis have the AOE in their remarks section on the sectional. Thanks

Because of the mention of "international" in the name? That's just a guess, I'd be curious what someone more knowledgeable would say.

For what it's worth, I don't believe all the small airports you can get customs at are labeled with AOE either.

Because the Customs Service is responsible to advise the FAA what airports they want AOE charted. AOE designation has been disappearing from sectionals for a long time.

Because of the mention of "international" in the name? That's just a guess, I'd be curious what someone more knowledgeable would say.

For what it's worth, I don't believe all the small airports you can get customs at are labeled with AOE either.

So your'e saying if it says AOE next to it, it's possible it doesn't have customs?

Because the Customs Service is responsible to advise the FAA what airports they want AOE charted. AOE designation has been disappearing from sectionals for a long time.

So why wouldn't ORD have AOE next to it?

So your'e saying if it says AOE next to it, it's possible it doesn't have customs?

No, there are airports that don’t say AOE but you can get customs services there.

At the risk of oversimplifying things, you can get customs service at most airports near a customs bridge. I glanced at a few of them last night that I know you can get customs at and most, but not all were marked. The reason you need to make an appointment with customs two hours in advance is so CBP has time to send someone to the airport to meet you.

If you really want to know where customs services are available, look at the documents that US customs publishes. I wouldn’t worry about what is printed on an FAA chart.

This question was posted on a forum sometime ago. Some brave person chased down CBP and the FAA.
The answer as I recall it from both agencies was, because of changing posture based on current threat analysis by CBP and trying to standardize and expand the locations services are offered, it was considered redundant, possibly inaccurate, and confusing to keep the FAA fully up to date due to the extensive manual processes required to sync the chart data. Therefore, airports are reviewed, the AOE entry will be removed from the charts. Based on the normal review cycle, they expected this to take ten to fifteen years....

Tim

So why wouldn't ORD have AOE next to it?

Because AOE has no navigation significance and customs doesn’t want you looking at a chart for this information. Look around the US. About all the AOE labels have been deleted. Port Clinton Ohio, Buffalo NY, Key West FL, Fort Pierce FL, Wilmington DE, Savanah Ga, ect have customs service and no AOE on the charts. As posted above, in a few years they will all be gone.

Last edited:
Because AOE has no navigation significance and customs doesn’t want you looking at a chart for this information. Look around the US. About all the AOE labels have been deleted. Port Clinton Ohio, Buffalo NY, Key West FL, Fort Pierce FL, Wilmington DE, Savanah Ga, ect have customs service and no AOE on the charts. As posted above, in a few years they will all be gone.

Ok that makes sense, just wondering why they don't just take them all off at once.

Ok that makes sense, just wondering why they don't just take them all off at once.

Man power. Each element on the chart has to be reviewed and the database updated. So as they review airports in the normal cycle they will be removed.
When dealing with chart data, there is no such thing as search and replace without problems.

Key west has the AOE symbol

Man power. Each element on the chart has to be reviewed and the database updated. So as they review airports in the normal cycle they will be removed.
When dealing with chart data, there is no such thing as search and replace without problems.

Makes sense, thanks

Back