Avidyne IFD440 and 540... who has one?

Will an IFD be able to talk to a Garmin G5?

Can you load a flight plan on the app sitting at home, and then zap it over to the GPS once you get to the airport?

I didn't see that your question had been answered.

Yes, it does talk to the G5, also the GTX345, I have both and my setup works awesome. I also run Garmin Pilot connected to the 345 getting my traffic and weather. My traffic also shows on the IFD440 and IFD100.

The IFD100 does not work like Foreflight or Garmin Pilot as far as flight planning, you can't create a flight plan at home and connect and transfer it to the IFD440 when at the plane. Now, saying that, you can use Foreflight to do that, as well as FlyQ with the IFD series.

My flight plans are usually not very complicated so i just enter them on the IFD100 while at the plane, even very complex plans would only take a minute I'd think.

I am able to flight plan at home and upload save routes to the panel mount IFD 540/440 in the plane. It will also save routes stored in the panel mount units to the iPad.

The IFD100 on an iPad acts and functions just like another panel mounted unit if it is connected over WiFi.

I didn't see that your question had been answered.

Yes, it does talk to the G5, also the GTX345, I have both and my setup works awesome. I also run Garmin Pilot connected to the 345 getting my traffic and weather. My traffic also shows on the IFD440 and IFD100.

The IFD100 does not work like Foreflight or Garmin Pilot as far as flight planning, you can't create a flight plan at home and connect and transfer it to the IFD440 when at the plane. Now, saying that, you can use Foreflight to do that, as well as FlyQ with the IFD series.

My flight plans are usually not very complicated so i just enter them on the IFD100 while at the plane, even very complex plans would only take a minute I'd think.

ok, thanks for that.

The IFD talks to the G5 just fine. Here are a couple of videos of mine:

Both. If you have non-WAAS, make sure you have RG-400 run and and replace the GPS receivers. It took me about an hour.

Both. If you have non-WAAS, make sure you have RG-400 run and and replace the GPS receivers. It took me about an hour.
I think you mean replace the GPS antenna. The GPS receiver is inside the IFD.

How much does the subscription for the Jeppesen Ifr charts cost for the IFD440 costs

Can you use the Jeppesen subscription on ForeFlight as a bundle deal as well?

What I dislike is that when I am on an Ifr trip with the Garmin 430w and my monthly database expires while I am on the trip towards the end of the month

Either you need to bring a laptop with the card reader on your trip of file only vfr.

I have made more than one trip back to my home (computer and card reader) to update an expired Garmin data base.

Does this happen with Jeppesen or can I just connect to WiFi at the fbo and download the latest database update for the IFD440?

Mike

@ahypnoz .... I don't know about the cost. But do know that data cards are not used to update the IFD's. That's done via a USB flash drive.

Thanks

That is helpful

I was hoping that I could update the data on my iPad/iPhone and that it would transfer via the WiFi hookup to the units.

M.

Thanks

That is helpful

I was hoping that I could update the data on my iPad/iPhone and that it would transfer via the WiFi hookup to the units.

M.
I expect Avidyne to figure that eventually and make that feature available.

Full US coverage of Nav and chart bundle for the IFD440 cost me $549. I can't tell you if you can use this for charts on Foreflight, I use Garmin Pilot. I use the charts on the IFD100 app, works very well. The way I understand Jep's pricing, the only way to get nav data on both the IFD440 and IFD100 is to do the bundle with charts.

As for wifi transfer of nav data, it's been brought up on avidynelive, Avidyne says the wifi within the IFD series is not designed for transferring large amounts of data, so it would be very slow doing it that way. Transferring with the usb sticks is very fast, takes like a minute, and really simple.

A lot of people on avidynelive are requesting Avidyne work with Seattle Avionics to offer a cheaper option on nav/chart data, kind of sucks to be locked in to only one option.

That makes sense, $549 is not too bad considering I spend around $399 at Garmin for the United States data base without terrain ($150) or obstacle ($49) per year.

With the WiFi bottle neck.
They could do it like Foreflight and just transfer the relevant Nav data within 50 nm of the planned flight path to keep the ifr data base up to date for the flight, and then transfer the rest of the data in the in the background during the flight or better yet maybe have a special WiFi usb stick embedded in the usb transfer stick, thus transfer from the iPad/iPhone to the usb WiFi stick to the IFD440 unit.

hmmmmm
I probably need to stop by the patent office on the way home

The NAV frequencies (active and standby) are not normally displayed. If you press the tuning knob (left knob), the NAV frequencies will be displayed and can be changed, and then the display will revert back to the COM frequencies after a few seconds.

If you're running the IFD100 app, you'll see the NAV freqs there all the time, and can change them there as well.

It is a difference from the 430 which preceded, but not a problem (to me).
I am bumping this thread. We are close to deciding on the replacement for the Non-waas 430 in our panel. I am getting final prices and am leaning towards the Avidyne 440. I am hung up on not being able to see the nav frequencies. I constantly verify nav and com frequencies with just a glance, especially when doing approaches. SCCutler - thanks for the feedback. Anyone else that has one of these units have an issue with not being able to see the Nav frequencies at a glance?

I am bumping this thread. We are close to deciding on the replacement for the Non-waas 430 in our panel. I am getting final prices and am leaning towards the Avidyne 440. I am hung up on not being able to see the nav frequencies. I constantly verify nav and com frequencies with just a glance, especially when doing approaches. SCCutler - thanks for the feedback. Anyone else that has one of these units have an issue with not being able to see the Nav frequencies at a glance?

I've been using my IFD440 for just about a year now, and I can say not seeing the nav frequencies has never been an issue for me, but I do use the IFD100 app and you can see them displayed there. I'd guess most people that have the 440 use the IFD100 as well. The IFD540/550 owners may not use it as much I'd guess, but for me the 440 paired with the IFD100 app is a wonderful "poor mans" glass panel.

I am hung up on not being able to see the nav frequencies. I constantly verify nav and com frequencies with just a glance, especially when doing approaches. SCCutler - thanks for the feedback. Anyone else that has one of these units have an issue with not being able to see the Nav frequencies at a glance?

I talked to someone at the Avidyne booth at S&F and questioned them about this. I may remember wrong, but I thought he said you could change it to leave the Nav frequencies displayed if you want to. You may want to call Avidyne and ask someone that really knows!

I talked to someone at the Avidyne booth at S&F and questioned them about this. I may remember wrong, but I thought he said you could change it to leave the Nav frequencies displayed if you want to. You may want to call Avidyne and ask someone that really knows!
Thanks. I guess it is the “ether / or” that surprises me. I like verifying I have the correct Nav and com frequencies and the next likely in standby just glancing at the panel. It does not seem intuitive to have to hit a button to check the other set of frequencies. I guess I have been staring at the 430 and the MX-170b for 17 years and used to seeing all the frequencies at a glance.

I have been looking at this issue hard. While the IFD440 has a lot of very neat features, in the end it does not provide any fundamentally expanded capabilities. They will both navigate an LPV approach. With multiple demands on my limited funds, I am having a hard time justifying the cost difference between the IFD440 and upgrading my GNS430 to WAAS. Especially, I suspect like most people, most of my situational awareness is through my EFB (Foreflight). I am also coming to appreciate the value of the G5 products. Going the Garmin upgrade route will leave a good chunk of the money needed to get the G5. To be clear, I am not a fan of a lot of Garmin's business practices but I have to admit that they make a nice box. Adding the G5 to my legacy auto pilot with the 430 WAAS will give me a lot of capability.

Thanks. I guess it is the “ether / or” that surprises me. I like verifying I have the correct Nav and com frequencies and the next likely in standby just glancing at the panel. It does not seem intuitive to have to hit a button to check the other set of frequencies. I guess I have been staring at the 430 and the MX-170b for 17 years and used to seeing all the frequencies at a glance.

While you can't show both Nav and com at the same time on the IFD440, switching back and forth is as simple as pushing in the bottom left knob. This makes it really easy to get the information when you need it.

While you can't show both Nav and com at the same time on the IFD440, switching back and forth is as simple as pushing in the bottom left knob. This makes it really easy to get the information when you need it.
I hope so. We just pulled the trigger on an IFD 440 and Lynx combo today. The avionics shop has about a 30 day backlog before they can get to it. We are looking forward to the new panel.

I hope so. We just pulled the trigger on an IFD 440 and Lynx combo today. The avionics shop has about a 30-day backlog before they can get to it. We are looking forward to the new panel.

Great Choice! If you have any questions or need support don't hesitate to reach out at any time. Here's my contact info below.

Bryan Kahl
Director of Customer Experience
bkahl@avidyne.com

@Bryan Kahl - can you give us all a quick primer on getting the IFD and a Stratus device on the same wifi network, for the benefit of iPad users?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks so much! You will be hearing a lot more from us. We are trying to monitor forums for Avidyne related posts to provide proactive support wherever we can. While I can't guarantee we will catch everything we will absolutely do our best.

@Bryan Kahl

I am partner in a 2003 SR22 with the Avidyne PFD/MFD and original non-waas GNS430s.
I have now read enough that I am completely confused on the Avidyne options for upgrade.
My question are, can this be done; and two, what product sets (both Avidyne and/or third party) do you think can meet the requirements.
1. WAAS Nav. Supporting existing PFD/MFD (version update costs if needed)
2. Display ADS-B weather (METAR/TAF, Lighting....) and traffic on the MFD
3. ADS-B out
4. Bluetooth app support for Garmin Pilot and Foreflight for ADS-B data
5. Wish item, accept flight plan information from Garmin Pilot and Foreflight to the Nav/Com system

Tim

@Bryan Kahl

I am partner in a 2003 SR22 with the Avidyne PFD/MFD and original non-waas GNS430s.
I have now read enough that I am completely confused on the Avidyne options for upgrade.
My question are, can this be done; and two, what product sets (both Avidyne and/or third party) do you think can meet the requirements.
1. WAAS Nav. Supporting existing PFD/MFD (version update costs if needed)
2. Display ADS-B weather (METAR/TAF, Lighting....) and traffic on the MFD
3. ADS-B out
4. Bluetooth app support for Garmin Pilot and Foreflight for ADS-B data
5. Wish item, accept flight plan information from Garmin Pilot and Foreflight to the Nav/Com system

Tim

Hi Tim,

I can completely understand your confusion, definitely a lot of variables to take into consideration. Will you please email me your contact information at Bkahl@avidyne.com so I can have our sales manager reach out?

Thank you,
Bryan

My Avidyne 540 has a tendency at night to go full bright periodically. I have found it does this when a post light on the DG blinks. This post light is no where near the light sensor on the 540 controlling the 540’s screen intensity and the post light is so dim anyway that I doubt if the minimal change in cabin light should affect the 540. My suspicion is it has something to do with the electric current change when the post light blinks?

We again have worked on that particular post light so hoping it is cured. But it is really annoying when you are about 200 feet above touchdown and the 540 goes full bright for 30 seconds. Has anyone else experienced this or care to offer an explanation of why the 540 reacts like this?

My Avidyne 540 has a tendency at night to go full bright periodically. I have found it does this when a post light on the DG blinks. This post light is no where near the light sensor on the 540 controlling the 540’s screen intensity and the post light is so dim anyway that I doubt if the minimal change in cabin light should affect the 540. My suspicion is it has something to do with the electric current change when the post light blinks?

We again have worked on that particular post light so hoping it is cured. But it is really annoying when you are about 200 feet above touchdown and the 540 goes full bright for 30 seconds. Has anyone else experienced this or care to offer an explanation of why the 540 reacts like this?

Hi Rob, Sorry you're running into this issue with your IFD lighting. Here's the link to a knowledge article from our online helpdesk that should help you troubleshoot if you see the issue continue. I would start by reading dimBus Transition % about halfway down the page.

https://techsupport.avidyne.com/portal/kb/articles/ifd-dimming-setup-tutorial

Looks like you also submitted a helpdesk ticket over the weekend so our tech team will respond to that as well.

Best Regards,
BK

I pulled out a GTN650 from my 182 and put in an IFD540. I wouldn’t even consider going back. I had the Flightstream 510 on the GTN and now have WiFi and Bluetooth on the IFD. I love the flight planning on the IFD and really like the way the flight plans are filed from ForeFlight on the IFD. I have been installing a lot of IFD550’s lately and they are really great boxes. The synthetic vision is fantastic.

Back