Flying a 152?

I'm probably wrong, but some 152's have placards that say NO SPINS.

Other than that, go fly. I flew mainly 172's and had no issue jumping in a 152. Similarly, I had ~70 hours in the 177RG and I needed to rent a plane for scheduling reasons. Wanted the Turbo Arrow that I was checked out in, and the guy says, you can take our 172RG, just don't expect to go as fast.

So far the planes I’ve flown

Tomahawk (5 min during discovery flight a year prior to starting my ppl)

172RG
R182
Decathlon

I typically have lessons for my instrument rating on Tuesdays. Next Tuesday my instructor isn’t available. My flight school says if you are checked out in the 172’s they consider you good to go in the 152’s. Im thinking of renting one and going to the practice area to do airwork. My t/w instructor told me if I wanted to prep for my “performance flying” lessons to just work on some uncoordinated stalls with recovery at 1/4 turn if I wanted to do some prep work.

Anything I should be aware of with a 152?
I've flown every plane you've flown, plus a couple more...I find the "ease" of flying a C150/C152 to fit right between the Traumahawk and the C172...

Last edited:
If anyone here has flown in a DA20, how does it compare SPACE-wise? (Obviously low wing, different configuration etc) But as far as space itself?

It's been a few years since my DA20 time, but I found it to have more space and was actually a comfortable airplane. Ingress/egress was much easier too. But it does get hot fast in the summer!

If anyone here has flown in a DA20, how does it compare SPACE-wise? (Obviously low wing, different configuration etc) But as far as space itself?
SA-20 is more comfortable space wise from side to side, 45".

Also about 600lbs useful load, 450lbs w/full fuel. 138 kts cruise at 75% power, 5.5 gph fuel burn. The DA-20 is a better performing airplane.

Trained in a C152 (mostly), C152 Aerobat, C172, and PA28-140 for the PPL. The C152 was by far the most sprightly handling, yet forgiving to fly. The only thing more fun for handling and vis would be an AA-1X.

I was surprised at how big a 152 is on the inside the first time I got in one. Baggage area looked big enough for a hot tub.

6'3" and it fits me just fine. As to the baggage compartment, Cessna at one point offered a child seat for that area. Not sure how functional.

Looked at buying a 152 last year. Dang they are expensive.

6'3" and it fits me just fine. As to the baggage compartment, Cessna at one point offered a child seat for that area. Not sure how functional.

Looked at buying a 152 last year. Dang they are expensive.

150’s are a lot more reasonable. There’s a guy near me who has a 1961 150A advertised fr $7k. He has owned it for 20 years and it’s the original engine :eek2:

After landing the 152 and walking into the FBO to meet the DPE for my Private checkride, he said 'How the heck do you get in that thing!?'. I said "I don't really get in.. I kind of put it on like a coat...".

I'm 6'7" and 152 is a tight fit for me, especially for preflight controls check. Fun to fly, though!

I'm following a buddy to Martha's Vinyard. He's delivering a plane, I'm flying his 150 to bring him back.
We are out over open water. my buddy calls me on the radio and says he needs to set down, something is wrong, so we turn back towards GON (Groton) and he tells me he isn't going to make it so we land at 0B8 (Fishers Island).
I like Fisher's Island. It's like landing on an aircraft carrier. When you go off the end of the runway you are only 12 to 18 inches above the water.

I've got full fuel on board because the airport we are flying into has a no fuel advisory, and I'm too lazy (and cheap) to fly out of my way to buy over priced "tourist 100LL".
Sure enough, the plane my buddy is flying is down for the count. We make some calls, arrange for a mechanic to go out there the next day, so we might as well go home.
I'm not a little guy. Let's leave it at that. my buddy weighs in at 155 lbs. It's late July and almost 100 degrees.
You all know where this is going.
I went off the end of runway 25 with 18" of daylight between the wheels and the water and and stayed there, flying in ground effect for 15 minutes or more, before I burned off enough fuel so I could get high enough to turn or clear the coast.
Yeah. If you are in a 150/152 check your fuel/weight.

I'm following a buddy to Martha's Vinyard. He's delivering a plane, I'm flying his 150 to bring him back.
We are out over open water. my buddy calls me on the radio and says he needs to set down, something is wrong, so we turn back towards GON (Groton) and he tells me he isn't going to make it so we land at 0B8 (Fishers Island).
I like Fisher's Island. It's like landing on an aircraft carrier. When you go off the end of the runway you are only 12 to 18 inches above the water.

I've got full fuel on board because the airport we are flying into has a no fuel advisory, and I'm too lazy (and cheap) to fly out of my way to buy over priced "tourist 100LL".
Sure enough, the plane my buddy is flying is down for the count. We make some calls, arrange for a mechanic to go out there the next day, so we might as well go home.
I'm not a little guy. Let's leave it at that. my buddy weighs in at 155 lbs. It's late July and almost 100 degrees.
You all know where this is going.
I went off the end of runway 25 with 18" of daylight between the wheels and the water and and stayed there, flying in ground effect for 15 minutes or more, before I burned off enough fuel so I could get high enough to turn or clear the coast.
Yeah. If you are in a 150/152 check your fuel/weight.
15 minutes?? That sounds like the numbers would have said you shouldn’t go at all.

Did my PPL in a 152, literally the go kart of the sky. Absolutely love and adore that airplane.

Did my entire PPL in one, here in the hot desert SW ... with the CFI on board, max fuel was 14 gallons and you hoped for better than 100 ft/min climb:eek:

152 is a lot of fun, real light on the controls and a blast to fly. Now I haven't flown a Pitts or RV before though so I might not have the right definition of fun :D

Just started flying an RV in August, a lot of fun ... the Tiger was also ... got a nearly free half day in a Pitts with acro with a cfi here in my area and the 152 isn't bad at al once the cfi is out of the right seat;)

Our club 152 is placarded against intentional spins.

There was an issue if you "STOMPED" the rudder, it could jump the stop and stay in full deflection. Gets caught on a screw head or something if I remember correctly

I have a 150f and a two year old. I wish I had that child seat so that I could fly the whole family to the in-laws 70 miles away. They live in a one stop light town with an airport right behind the main road, walking distance to their house. But that is only 170# pilot, 145# passenger and 30# baby. Add 10# for the rear seat and we are at 355# plus 1050# empty equals 1405#. Add 20# for overnight bag. So plenty of fuel to fly when not in the summer months.

I would not contemplate doing this in summer unless I picked them up at the local class D with a 5500’ runway.

I just got checked out in my clubs 152. After flying cherokees I about sent that thing into a stall rotating on take off. A lot more responsive. I found it much easier to land.

At 6'2" and clydesdale weight, the joy of flying the 152 is there. Especially building hours at $25 less per hour. I'd probably bring one of my young daughters with me, but no one else. Otherwise, it's a solo time builder for me.

Our 152's could jump the stop, and on the ground it was easy to see how on preflight

Yeah, I’m gonna take a good look at that next time I fly the 152. Not much there to prevent that is there?

Yeah, I’m gonna take a good look at that next time I fly the 152. Not much there to prevent that is there?

You'll be amazed, but at the same time it takes a pretty good rudder stomp to jump the stop (we didn't inside the AC)

I'm probably wrong, but some 152's have placards that say NO SPINS.

Other than that, go fly. I flew mainly 172's and had no issue jumping in a 152. Similarly, I had ~70 hours in the 177RG and I needed to rent a plane for scheduling reasons. Wanted the Turbo Arrow that I was checked out in, and the guy says, you can take our 172RG, just don't expect to go as fast.

Don’t think they do... 172s are restricted in the normal category but I’m pretty sure 152s are spin to your hearts content...

There is an AD on the 150 for the same thing. Either change the rudder stops or placard against spins. So far mine is not fixed, but I can’t see how it could jump the stops or get jammed. Could be differences between different model years of 150s. Obviously different for the 152.

Back