C150 "Deregistered" log book entry...anyone familiar? Aircraft value?

Huh?

A 337 really has little to do with aircraft registration. The 337 is simply a form to document major repairs or alterations and one copy should be in the aircraft documents and another copy should have been sent to Oklahoma City. If you request the records for the plane from the FAA there should be a copy of the 337 if one was filed.

As I've alluded to, a 337 may not have been necessary and these people may be leading you astray. If you're serious about the plane it would be in your best interest to hire a good IA to review the records and make sure everything is present that needs to be. Choose the IA wisely, many aren't good at paperwork or knowing what should be there.

Good thought, maybe 337 isnt needed, but I am assuming it would be for a totalled plane.

I do have a great a&p ia

Good thought, maybe 337 isnt needed, but I am assuming it would be for a totalled plane.

I do have a great a&p ia

Again, it depends on how the plane was repaired. Have someone look at the documents and the airplane that knows what they're looking for before you buy.

There are planes that get "totaled" by insurance companies that never get repaired and continue to fly.

Again, it depends on how the plane was repaired. Have someone look at the documents and the airplane that knows what they're looking for before you buy.

There are planes that get "totaled" by insurance companies that never get repaired and continue to fly.

Will definately have the log books and 337 looked at and the plane annualed before buy.
Just getting a feel of if it's worth it to pay for that stuff and get some ideas of what could have happened before I start spending some money

Will definately have the log books and 337 looked at and the plane annualed before buy.
Just getting a feel of if it's worth it to pay for that stuff and get some ideas of what could have happened before I start spending some money

I understand, which is why I’m trying to point out that there are various ways the repairs could have been documented and done legally.

If you haven’t gone to look at the plane yet go do it. It’s current physical condition is far more important than what’s written in a book about it. Lots of stuff goes undocumented for one reason or another, or documents get lost. Hopefully the big stuff is there.

Thanks all for the replys!

To sum up the above replys:
With the plane having a current registration, the deregistration is a non issue.
Make annual condition of sale (annual ran out last month)

I am assuming the plane was repaired correctly since it's been flying since 89 and even did some flight training for the last 2 yrs.

Any idea what it would be worth with what little info was given in first post and damage history?

Would a 150 with stol kit at Max weight, takeoff from a 2000ft grass runway in a Pennsylvania summer?

Thx
As a previous C150 owner, that (at the time I owned my c150) myself weighed 180, and had a girlfriend that (at the time I owned my c150) weighed 150, I wouldn't do it...2000 feet, on grass, is really pushing it with trees at the end, STOL or not. As an example, we flew my C150 to Put-In-Bay 3W2, which is 2800 feet pavement with trees at both ends, one hot 90+ degree July day, and just b a r e l y made it over the trees at the end...I mean so close I checked for branches in the landing gear when I got home. Nearby my homedrone, there is a grass 2500 foot field (66g Zehnder), where the pic below was taken of my previous C150. My plane would use AT LEAST 2000 of that 2500 during the summer. And mine had a brand new, strong running, engine. And btw, I learned, like most C150 owners do, that most C150s are never flown at gross weight on takeoff, but instead only at gross on landing...think about that one.
upload_2018-10-24_1-22-36.png

Last edited:
Benton, pa40
2200 x 150,
35 ft. trees, 26 ft. from runway

Benton is a nice strip. I usually go to the flyin but missed it last weekend.

Operating out of Bloomsburg would be a safer bet with a loaded 150.

I owned a 182 that was flown into the side of a mountain and destroyed. It was rebuild in 1963 using the original tail and data plates. It was a nice plane but hard to sell with the history. If the plane was repaired correctly and documented properly you may be able to make a good buy on a solid airplane.

Last edited:
I wonder if the broker knows what they're talking about and/or suggesting?
That's what I was trying to find out. Too many variables in story.

In my opinion, the 337 form gets overused.
+1. Knew an IA who received a letter from the FSDO requiring him to pre-approve all his future 337s as he filled one out for everything...

perhaps the repair was done at a repair station and didn't trigger the need for a 337?
Always a possibility.

but the chances of an aircraft having a hangar collapsed on it and the insurance company totaling the plane but not requiring a 337 for repairs is not likely.
Without defining "hangar collapse" no telling what happened. As for insurance "totaling" the aircraft, it doesn't mean the aircraft was severely damaged. Most aircraft get "totaled" based on market value and whatever algorithm the insurance company uses to determine claim values. So it's based on math not damage is some cases. Same for the 337, as mentioned above depends if items were repaired or replaced.

For example, a friend had an aircraft he used for business. One day he was lacking situational awareness and pulled the aircraft out the T hangar, loaded it, and hit the button on his way to take a leak. Returned to find the bi-fold caught the right wing and drove her home. Insurance wanted to "total" it but he worked something out with them and wanted me to try and get it up ASAP. Ended up buying used wing, strut, aileron, and swapped over the remaining stuff. He was flying 5 days after received parts. And no 337, as everything was a replacement or swap. So, it all depends.

Maybe. If a sheet metal roof lands on a 150 and scratched all the upper surfaces, that would be a new paint job. A professional paint job with basic body work could easily cost more than the stated value minus salvage value and the Insurance company would total it. Maybe.

I didn't see what the actual damage was. Did I miss it?

Edit: Oops, Bell206 beat me to the point

Without defining "hangar collapse" no telling what happened. As for insurance "totaling" the aircraft, it doesn't mean the aircraft was severely damaged. Most aircraft get "totaled" based on market value and whatever algorithm the insurance company uses to determine claim values. So it's based on math not damage is some cases. Same for the 337, as mentioned above depends if items were repaired or replaced.

For example, a friend had an aircraft he used for business. One day he was lacking situational awareness and pulled the aircraft out the T hangar, loaded it, and hit the button on his way to take a leak. Returned to find the bi-fold caught the right wing and drove her home. Insurance wanted to "total" it but he worked something out with them and wanted me to try and get it up ASAP. Ended up buying used wing, strut, aileron, and swapped over the remaining stuff. He was flying 5 days after received parts. And no 337, as everything was a replacement or swap. So, it all depends.

Good to know
Thx

Maybe. If a sheet metal roof lands on a 150 and scratched all the upper surfaces, that would be a new paint job. A professional paint job with basic body work could easily cost more than the stated value minus salvage value and the Insurance company would total it. Maybe.

I didn't see what the actual damage was. Did I miss it?

Edit: Oops, Bell206 beat me to the point

It only says hangar collapse on deregisteration

If the plane was repaired correctly and documented properly you may be able to make a good buy on a solid airplane.

That's my hope and why I'm looking into it.
I fly out of bloom now, but Benton is closer.

I fly by myself 90% of the time anyway. I'd be ok with flying out of Benton with one and going to bloom when I'm carrying 2.

Seems like I should be ok out of Benton with 2, just not in the summer according to others who have flown 150s. All my time is in a club 172.

FYI, last year's flying was better due to weather, but always a good time and great food!

As a previous C150 owner, that (at the time I owned my c150) myself weighed 180, and had a girlfriend that (at the time I owned my c150) weighed 150, I wouldn't do it...2000 feet, on grass, is really pushing it with trees at the end, STOL or not. As an example, we flew my C150 to Put-In-Bay 3W2, which is 2800 feet pavement with trees at both ends, one hot 90+ degree July day, and just b a r e l y made it over the trees at the end...I mean so close I checked for branches in the landing gear when I got home. Nearby my homedrone, there is a grass 2500 foot field (66g Zehnder), where the pic below was taken of my previous C150. My plane would use AT LEAST 2000 of that 2500 during the summer. And mine had a brand new, strong running, engine. And btw, I learned, like most C150 owners do, that most C150s are never flown at gross weight on takeoff, but instead only at gross on landing...think about that one.
View attachment 68388

Always nice to hear from a previous owner.

Think flying with 1 out of the 2200ft grass would work even on hot days?
I could always just have a rule to meet at the best airport 3200 paved runway when flying with 2.
It wouldn't be an issue since I am usually alone.

Always nice to hear from a previous owner.

Think flying with 1 out of the 2200ft grass would work even on hot days?
I could always just have a rule to meet at the best airport 3200 paved runway when flying with 2.
It wouldn't be an issue since I am usually alone.
Yes, big big difference when solo.

Seems like I should be ok out of Benton with 2, just not in the summer according to others who have flown 150s. All my time is in a club 172.

A 150 can be a fun little plane but you will out grow it fast. Two good grass strip airplane that I feel are undervalued in the market is the Tripacer and Stinson 108. They both would get out of Benton with two onboard without issue.

Back