MegaMillions winner.. what do you buy?

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
OK, everyone in our office is in a pool (or two) for this $1.6Billion Mega Millions thing. I dont play this stuff much, but I figure for the $2 I get to dream for a day or three.

Suppose you just won alone, the payout is $616,000,000 after taxes. I'm sure we would all be conservative and set up a nice trust for our families, and invest prudently etc. But that is a lot of coin. What would you do? Buy?

On the other hand, if our office pool wins there are like 40 of us that all just netted $15 mil each. What do you do with $15 mil?

Personally, after the afore mentioned prudent investing, I'm gonna go look for a plane or two, and maybe even pick up a small airport of my own. Or a place on one of those fly-in communities. (Preferably near a beach, canal, fishing and etc). And a place in the mountains someplace where I can land my new otter.

Ahh, $1 and a dream....

I would buy another plane or two, but nothing too crazy. Maybe a malibu and a carbon cub. Move to a modest house in an airpark. Set aside a large chunk for savings, and invest the rest in a business or something that I know will make me money.

If it was the 6 hundred mill, i would be buying up an airport that is being threatened by rich people. Just to give them a middle finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd start some non-profits aimed at helping disabled people.

One thing that comes to mind, why is an electronic prosthetic hook nearly $40k out the door? $2500 to repair when it obviously broke due to **** design?

A ‘62 and ‘69 Vettes, a Cub or similar, Bo or light twin like a 310, and land where I could put in a grass runway. Pay off the kid’s homes maybe, trust fund for grandkids, and contribute to charity like Salvation Army.

Now back to reality. ;)

This is the type of thread that explains why most lottery winners are broke within a few years. Many think the money will never run out...but it does. Unless you are getting "up there" in age, you should take the annuity to insure the money doesn't run out. It also allows you to pay the taxes on the winnings over the life of the annuity. I'm pretty sure I could comfortably live on 53 million per year (before taxes) for 30 years, I don't need it all up front.

I would pay off all my immediate, including in-laws, family's debts for them. I'd build two houses for summer and winter (Arizona and New York) with enough property for a runway and hangar facilities with space for at least two aircraft each. Of course the wife would have to have indoor air conditioned riding arenas at both locations too.

Last edited:
Crap, I didnt see the other thread on this till now. Oh well. Still fun. I like the idea of starting some very very low costs flying schools to get young folks (hell, and old folks) into aviation.

An Amel 54, and an MU-2 to get back and forth to the coast. The rest gets invested into a trust to ensure generations to come are well taken care of.

Suppose you just won alone, the payout is $616,000,000 after taxes. I'm sure we would all be conservative and set up a nice trust for our families, and invest prudently etc. But that is a lot of coin.

Uhm, that's why you take a check rather than ask for it in coins.

A ‘62 and ‘69 Vettes, a Cub or similar, Bo or light twin like a 310, and land where I could put in a grass runway. Pay off the kid’s homes maybe, trust fund for grandkids, and contribute to charity like Salvation Army.

Now back to reality. ;)

'63 split window, '65 big block corvette, have a team of people standing by waiting to fly me where I want to go when I want to go and lastly, build a big glass room and fill it up with one million $1.00 bills, sit in it naked and charge people a dollar to look at a naked millionaire sitting on a million dollars.....

Buy? Investments. I typically do that myself, but with that much money you can get good tax and investment work done. Key word is "can". You still have to pay attention or they end up with a lot of it and you don't. :( :oops:

After that it's what you like. I wouldn't buy vacation homes unless there are places you like to go to regularly. For some that could be a lake/beach/mountain/ski house. I vary my vacations a lot, so I'd do something more like Inspirato, or just rent whatever I wanted, wherever I wanted to go.

I'd buy planes that I'd use regularly, but I'd also charter for long flights; and pricey bourbon/wine/whatever to drink in the back on the way somewhere. :D

10% off the top for some choice charities. New truck for me, new Jeep for the wife. Pay off relatives debts. Buy a Husky so I can fly while Ruby’s in the avionics shop for some upgrades.

Just normal stuff

This is the type of thread that explains why most lottery winners are broke within a few years. Many think the money will never run out...but it does. Unless you are getting "up there" in age, you should take the annuity to insure the money doesn't run out. It also allows you to pay the taxes on the winnings over the life of the annuity. I'm pretty sure I could comfortably live on 53 million per year (before taxes) for 30 years, I don't need it all up front.

I'm pretty sure that with 53mil/yr for 30 years, I could spend it on an airpark property, a vacation home, three airplanes, a few boats, a dozen muscle cars and other misc toys in the first year or two, and the 3rd year of the annuity covers the property taxes for the rest of my life, lol. Every year thereafter could be blown/donated at-will since my living expenses and property is all owned and taxes accounted for. So whatever it takes to buy the stuff below (less than 1yr of annuity), everything else can be distributed to sound investments and charities.

That being said:

Enough land for a 3-4K' runway and custom home w/hangar and shop
Lakefront property for vacation home

Aircraft:
PC12 or similar turbine for real travel
Beech Staggerwing or Beaver on Amphib Floats
Acro - Pitts S2B

Regal 42 Sport Coupe
Cobalt 242WSS
20-22' Center Console Fishing Boat

Vehicles:
'67 Corvette (427)
'67 GTO (400)
'69 Ford Boss 429
'70 'Cuda (440 or 426)
'70 Olds 442
'71 Chevelle SS (454)
'73 Datsun 240Z
'79 F-250 Scab 4x4 (460)
'19 FJR1300
'19 Corvette Z06
'19 Jaguar XJ575 (daily driver)

'63 split window, '65 big block corvette, have a team of people standing by waiting to fly me where I want to go when I want to go and lastly, build a big glass room and fill it up with one million $1.00 bills, sit in it naked and charge people a dollar to look at a naked millionaire sitting on a million dollars.....

lol can't top that

G650 and my 10th great grandfathers house in England built in 1630 (almost $1M for it).

I'd buy the Ironman suit.

If not available, then a Cirrus SF50 jet, Diamond DA62, the two planes in my Avatar, a personal chef, and a beach house or two, or maybe a nice castle. I'm a big fan of castles.
Also lots of charity stuff.
and no... I would never go broke. It's really not hard to work the money properly.

Edit: And throw some damn nice PoA get-togethers at each location.

Last edited:
for $600 million or so? I go crazy and buy 2 planes and hope the money lasts. A P337 and a Duke. Is 600 million enough for the annuals?

You guys need to stop dreaming. I already have the winning numbers.

Step 1-invest the money, create a trust, consult legal and financial counsel.
Once I am able to use golden eggs and not the chicken...

Planes:
T-6 (for transition training)
P-51D (to transition into)
L-39 (toy/possibly race)
SR22 (daily driver)

Cars:
69 ZL-1 Camaro
70 Chevelle SS454
Build a Pro-Touring 69 Camaro as a driver.

Modest house on a nice airpark
Vacation house somewhere

I’d invest it all.......

Phenom 300, EC135, big ass yacht and my own island somewhere hot and tropical.

The rest I’d blow on stuff I don’t need.......

I think I'd get my mad spending over with as soon as possible, probably a nice new car or truck. And I'd get a new dishwasher and cellphone.

Then I figure that I'll be the CEO of a billion dollar 'endowment' (I guess that's what it's called), and have a FT job figuring out how to best use it for good.

Anyone here from Texas A&M? They have a Engineering Safety department built from a donation. I'd probably end up trying to do things like that.

And fly. I'd fly.

My wife and I would like to buy property somewhere in the Caribbean, so we need to do some exploring and learning on all the islands. So step one is to get one of these and become proficient in it-

7e9c7c85987e48af3e61e700e715ee4f.jpg

My wife says it looks funny, but I think it would be perfect for the two of us down there. I can't wait. I'll be placing my order tomorrow.

Gig ‘em. If y’all are just farmers.

10% off the top for some choice charities. New truck for me, new Jeep for the wife. Pay off relatives debts. Buy a Husky so I can fly while Ruby’s in the avionics shop for some upgrades.

Just normal stuff
You forgot a bigger hangar....

For me, I would finish up all the pro pilot training I have planned... then go talk to @Ted DuPuis about becoming the Texas branch of Cloud 9. And when not flying animal flights, do more for Angel Flight SC.

Anyone here from Texas A&M?

*cough* ummm... hello?

(harumph... you'd think with a forum handle like mine, it would be something of a clue)

Video when my Corps of Cadets squadron (Thunderin' 13 "Go Ugly Early"), was the honor guard at A&M versus t.u. football game my Senior year. We beat them...again... 20-13. I am the second from left wearing the gold shoulder braid (Parsons Mounted Cavalry). https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10111163465537454&id=8366282

upload_2018-10-23_22-48-59.jpeg

There are a few here.....

th
I wonder how big of a donation you and I would have to make to get our own bell tower? [insert sarcasm emoticon]
(That, IMO, was one big firkin waste of donation money)

My wife and I would like to buy property somewhere in the Caribbean, so we need to do some exploring and learning on all the islands. So step one is to get one of these and become proficient in it-

7e9c7c85987e48af3e61e700e715ee4f.jpg

My wife says it looks funny, but I think it would be perfect for the two of us down there. I can't wait. I'll be placing my order tomorrow.

That looks sweet! I want one.

Back