New to border flying, have some questions

Ozone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ozone
My friend and I are planning on visiting some of the northern MN airports this week. We are trying to fill some holes in our MN passports to get the most expensive leather jacket in the world.

During preliminary flight planning, we noticed that several, like KBDE, 48Y, and KINL are right.on.the.border.

Do we have to have radio licenses to talk to anyone in Canada, even if we don't cross the border?

At 48Y, in particular, what do we do if we land long and end up in Canada since 30% of the runway is in Canada?

At 48Y, are we under any obligation to talk with border patrol? (they look to be about 1/4 mile from the A&D building).

Do we need to file any kind of IACO flight plan? We were only planning on a typical USA VFR flight plan, with flight following.

If we were to fly IFR, I see that several approaches start deep in Canada, would we need actual passports if we land after crossing into Canada?

Any other advice for going near Canada?

Radio license, no one cares, even if you fly to Canada

If you’re not leaving the states don’t worry about it, if you cross over into Canada on approach to a US airport or something, if you’re talking to ATC or IFR don’t worry about it

If you are on basicmed you are hosed

What James said. Nobody worries about radio licences. And transiting in the other country's airspace is no big deal if you are talking to their ATC. If you are on flight following on one side they will hand you off no problem.

Where I am in the west there's a set procedure for the three cross border runways in this region. For example at 69S, Avey Field in WA/BC, US planes taxi to the ramp on the US side, Canadian registered planes taxi to the ramp on the Canadian side, then you walk over to the nearby highway border crossing with your passports and talk to the applicable border authority depending on which way you're heading.

And if you do enter Canada improperly you'll likely get more grief from US CBP than the Canadian authorities, what with eAPIS requirements, Homeland Security mandated transponder codes near the border and so forth. Best bet is to try to contact some local pilots that know the system for the xborder airport you are planning to land at.

A gunnery target drone for the RCAF.

Watch out. They are deadly. ;)

IMG_0422.JPG

Last edited:
I've flown into International Falls several times and as long as you don't land in Canada, nobody cares. I'm not sure I'd want to fly in Canadian air space for a couple hours and not tell anyone, but if you cross the river on down wind for 13, nobody will even know.

When I fly to Douglas (DGL) Arizona, a left base to runway 3 is over Mexico.

My friend and I are planning on visiting some of the northern MN airports this week. We are trying to fill some holes in our MN passports to get the most expensive leather jacket in the world.

During preliminary flight planning, we noticed that several, like KBDE, 48Y, and KINL are right.on.the.border.

Do we have to have radio licenses to talk to anyone in Canada, even if we don't cross the border?

At 48Y, in particular, what do we do if we land long and end up in Canada since 30% of the runway is in Canada?

At 48Y, are we under any obligation to talk with border patrol? (they look to be about 1/4 mile from the A&D building).

Do we need to file any kind of IACO flight plan? We were only planning on a typical USA VFR flight plan, with flight following.

If we were to fly IFR, I see that several approaches start deep in Canada, would we need actual passports if we land after crossing into Canada?

Any other advice for going near Canada?

I have flown into Canada many times, Part 91 and 135, and no one has ever asked to see my radio license.

Bob

Of the 3 airports you specifically mentioned, only 48Y is truly on the border. It actually straddles it and is jointly owned. It is also the only one of the 3 mentioned I haven't landed at.

There is nothing to worry about. Just go have fun and fly like normal. I wouldn't worry about any special transponder code or radio license or flight plan. The only thing you're going to want to make sure is that you taxi to the correct ramp at 48Y. There is a ramp in Canada and one in the US. You shouldn't need to speak with customs agents at all since you're neither leaving nor arriving in the country.

When I fly to Douglas (DGL) Arizona, a left base to runway 3 is over Mexico.

Many many years ago when I was stationed at Pt. Mugu Calif. We'd all pile in an R5D and head to Douglas to buy Booze. A chap in a carryall would meet us and take us across the border to his liquor store. As I remember we could bring one gallon back duty free. I wouldn't care to guess how many gallons of 115-45 it took for each gallon of hootch we bought.

Back