Winter Battery Care

Same thing I use for the rest of the year, battery minder with the quick connect.

Are you running the cord out your door to the outlet?

The quick connect cord comes out a inch or so into my rear cargo (skywagon), I just pop the little cargo door and hook the minder up to it

Get an AGM battery. Maintenance free means maintenance free. At least with my Odysseys. Mine will sit outside all winter and won't need a charge, just like the past 17 Alaska winters. My LiO? This is the first winter with it. I suspect it'll raise the bar that Odyssey set.

Get an AGM battery. Maintenance free means maintenance free. At least with my Odysseys. Mine will sit outside all winter and won't need a charge, just like the past 17 Alaska winters. My LiO? This is the first winter with it. I suspect it'll raise the bar that Odyssey set.

Yep. AGM batteries have low self-discharge, especially at low temperature, and will perform well even after months of neglect.

plug it in, plug it in
Both battery and oil heater.

Another vote for AGM batteries. Charge it once a year during the annual with an appropriate charger. If you need to keep a trickle charger on your battery, find and fix whatever is draining it.

Battery minders, all year long.

I've got one Concorde battery that's about 4 years old now, and one Gill that's 8 years old. Both running strong.

Last winter, I let it sit untouched for several months, then started it up in the spring after I finally got the new fuel tank fabricated and installed.

But, I don't have an "aircraft" battery. I think it's this one - AGM Odyssey motor sports battery. 4 or 5 years old.

I used a battery minder for the Concorde battery, every day, for the Sundowner and the Debonair.

Back