Have you ever flown a (real) published missed approach to a hold?

Have you ever flown a published missed approach, to include the hold, not for training?

• Total voters

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Just curious, many of us fly for years and never fly a "real" (non-training) missed approach, and in the rare cases we do, in much of the U.S. it will be a radar-vectored missed approach. The published missed is not flown much, let alone the holding pattern. You should always be ready and able to fly the full thing, of course.

So I'm wondering, how many of you have ever flown a published missed approach (because you had to, not for training), to the holding fix, and actually held?

If you have, I'd be interested in the details as well (where it was, approximately how long ago, etc.).

(I have not.)

EDIT - Darn it, the poll should say "published MISSED approach"

EDIT#2 - I should add, if you are not instrument rated, please don't answer the poll. Thanks!

Last edited:
MTP about 2 months ago. Unforecasted fog bank rolled in and the field was socked in. Had to divert to HTO and shoot an RNAV down to mins. I’ve probably done about 5 this year due to similar reasons as the one above.

Hell, I'm not sure I've ever flown a published procedure turn...

Me, me!!

A few weeks back, flew to 0R1. Spoke with people on the ground who said the fog wasn’t bad prior to my takeoff. Got a good weather briefing with the briefer stating that he didn’t think there would be fog. Arrived to find thick fog everywhere.

I did the RNAV 18 approach to minimums and never saw anything but white. On the missed, controller asked my intentions.

I flew the missed approach to the holding pattern for a turn and did the RNAV 36 approach successfully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've not had to fly a real published miss and done the hold; but I have been issued published holds above the layer, waiting for other inbound traffic to clear. Haven't had a real miss yet.

And at one Mooney gathering (PPP), a dozen or so planes were all out flying at the same time, and I was cleared to land, as was another Mooney on an intersecting runway. Tower caught their mistake, my clearance was cancelled and I was given an immediate right turn to a heading and told to "hold over the junior colege." Fortunately the CFII with me was local and knew what & where the junior college was . . . .

3 NDBs and a VOR that I can come up with offhand...out of 7 missed approaches total.

Yup... look for my thread about JEMLO at KJLN

Returning home from Southern California once I did 2 approaches to minima on the LPV approach which goes to 250 feet agl and 3/4 miles. It was real foggy leading up to the runway and just like a 300 foot overcast about halfway down the runway, very strange. diverted to another airport since I was running out of gas.
Airport was reporting 300 overcast, it wasn’t actually that good...On the second approach I was able to make out the runway while I was climbing out. It was tempting to try one more time but one more time would have put me in a low fuel situation had I not made it. After getting a few gallons of fuel about 30 miles away I was able to land home in vfr conditions, the fog had completely burned off

I have a knack for spotting the runway right at mins.

I’ve gone missed once, but got vectors around for the second try. Then my special talent kicked in.

Yup, when your home field has a MDA of 1700 AGL, a missed is not uncommon.

Miss? I mean, doesn’t hurt to take a little peak a little lower does it? :popcorn:

Didn't have to fly missed but did have to fly to the hold area in IMC and make 4-5 laps while waiting for another plan to land.

Before we got our LPV approach, and before the FAA decommissioned our VOR approach, it was not uncommon to miss on the VOR-A, fly back to the VOR, spin a turn in the hold/course reversal, and try again. Done it myself. Two strikes and you're out, and off to the alternate in SYR or UCA (now RME). ATC typically did not typically bother with vectors because it wasn't any faster than going to the VOR. It would have to be pretty bad WX to miss on the LPV approach.

What does "training" mean in the poll question? Does it mean under the hood, with a CFII, or does it include solo proficiency runs in IMC too?

On one such run I flew the ILS 4 at KPHN, saw the runway but went missed. I had requested the full published missed approach including the hold (which was then at MARGN, this was before the ECK VOR was decommissioned), and ATC gave it to me, but when I arrived there at the published holding altitude, I realized that I would not be able to log the hold at that altitude because I was in visual conditions. So I asked for 1000 feet higher. ATC obliged, then did me one better: they parked me in the hold up there for 10 minutes or so because of traffic below me on the airway. That's the only time I've had to fly a published hold "for real".

There was another time on the same approach when conditions were (locally) VLIFR and I never saw the runway. So I was missed approach for real, but I think ATC took me off the published missed before I reached the hold.

So how do I answer the poll? Yes or no?

Twice. Both times during training, but they were both training flights conducted in actual. Once, we held for about a hour. The worst night IMC we flew, we departed and went to a nearby (30-ish miles) and missed on the ILS (below minimums), and on the climb-out, ATC asked our intentions and we returned to our origin. Arriving at dusk we missed on the ILS again, because that was now below minimums as well. On that climb-out, ATC again asked for our intentions and we requested our filed alternate (KRDU), where every other airplane in the region was being diverted,and landed without any problems. The mondo landing light system made all the difference. Here's the video, just watch from the 2 minute-to- 3 minute mark. I think we broke out at 150'.

Last edited:
Twice. Both times during training, but they were both training flights conducted in actual. Once, we held for about a hour. The worst night IMC we flew, we departed and went to a nearby (30-ish miles) and missed on the ILS (below minimums), and on the climb-out, ATC asked our intentions and we returned to our origin. Arriving at dusk we missed on the ILS again, because that was now below minimums as well. On that climb-out, ATC again asked for our intentions and we requested our filed alternate (KRDU), where every other airplane in the region was being diverted,and landed without any problems. The mondo landing light system made all the difference. Here's the video, just watch from the 2 minute-to- 3 minute mark. I think we broke out at 150'.
Wow. Good thing they had the full CAT III landing lights!!! Looks like you were in the soup just taxiing!!

Miss to published hold? Never.

Cool video! So I have ‘missed’ the visual at my home field, day and night, and landed at RDU a few times (before the lighting upgrade).

Usually had to leave the plane there and rental car myself and payload home. The thing that was always a pleasant surprise was that I was never charged a penny by anyone and never bought fuel. I have no idea why.

Did you pay before leaving? Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

A couple years at, viz was reported above mins but with heavy snow I couldn't make the runway out till I'm was on the mossed and looked down, did a couple laps in the hold while I made up my mind on what I wanted to do.

Never missed and held in IMC, but hundreds of hours in the sim sure make you think it happens all the time. At least it will be a non-event. Many years ago, asked my dad the same (30k hours) and said he thinks he’s held on the published twice, maybe.

KACT, flew the dme arc, on final was handed to tower. Tower cleared me for a circling approach to 35 even though traffic was straight in. I questioned him and he repeated circling 35 to me. Halfway downwind he asked what I was doing, told him circling for 35. "Oh crap, fly published missed and back over to approach". Did the missed and got vectored back in for the ils after 10mins holding.

Sent from my SM-T397U using Tapatalk

KACT, flew the dme arc, on final was handed to tower. Tower cleared me for a circling approach to 35 even though traffic was straight in. I questioned him and he repeated circling 35 to me. Halfway downwind he asked what I was doing, told him circling for 35. "Oh crap, fly published missed and back over to approach". Did the missed and got vectored back in for the ils after 10mins holding.

Gotta love getting fussed at for what he told you two times to do . . . .

I've flown plenty of real missed approaches.

Reality is that I've gotten vectors around before getting to the published hold in all cases.

I've flown plenty of real missed approaches.

Reality is that I've gotten vectors around before getting to the published hold in all cases.
Almost always the case where ATC has adequate radar coverage. Having said that, there are more than a few IFR airports that have zero radar coverage at the missed approach holding altitude.

"Come to Alaska!" They said, "It'll be fun; and I mean it!"

No radar (mostly no radar). Many, many small cargo/pax operators. Everyone trying to get there before the next squall/sunset. Too much wind/rain/sleet/birds/yaks/dogs/snow/sideways snow/bears/wheelers/sleds.....

I've flown the missed to a published hold somewhere in between a buncha times and a bit less than a whole lotta times. But, then in the hold, we'd decide to just go to the other airport we were heading too, then back to the original destination after the yaks mosey on.

In the Outside Americas? I've done 4 real published missed to a hold.

"Come to Alaska!" They said, "It'll be fun; and I mean it!"

No radar (mostly no radar). Many, many small cargo/pax operators. Everyone trying to get there before the next squall/sunset. Too much wind/rain/sleet/birds/yaks/dogs/snow/sideways snow/bears/wheelers/sleds.....

I've flown the missed to a published hold somewhere in between a buncha times and a bit less than a whole lotta times. But, then in the hold, we'd decide to just go to the other airport we were heading too, then back to the original destination after the yaks mosey on.

In the Outside Americas? I've done 4 real published missed to a hold.
Real good work in "Killing Zoe".

Real good work in "Killing Zoe".
Sometimes we have to stoop to get fame and fortune. I was going to be much better in Back to the Future, but whatever. Never will forget my roots at Ridgemont High. I looked my best in Mask, however.

And, now that I read my previous post, it sounds arrogant AF. Not how I wanted to say, "some places, going missed to a hold is normal, and still a PITA."

Yes, years ago back when South Texas did not have radar coverage. Shoot an ADF approach go missed and hold. Go some where else or try it again.

I have a knack for spotting the runway right at mins.

I’ve gone missed once, but got vectors around for the second try. Then my special talent kicked in.

Ha! I believe I share the same superpower of (almost) no missed approaches... got my instrument ticket in 1986, 32 years ago and now with 26000 hours, and the only miss I recall is in 1992-ish, VOR to rwy 23 at Des Moines in a C-310. Vectored for the ILS, landed. No biggie.

Oh, there was a night, snowy approach to some airport in Wisconsin... CWA Mosinee maybe. I was the flight engineer on a charter 727, so it wasn't my fault, can't blame me. Anyway, it's late night, tower closed, it's snowing with low viz. On the ILS at minimums, we sorta break out, but there's no runway. We go around. Climbing out the capt asks "did we forget to click on the runway lights?" Doh! Yup. In a 727, that was an expensive missed approach! And all due to the fact that the THREE of us goobers up front forgot to click on the runway lights. So, next approach, OM inbound, my sole job was to click those damn runway lights on. We made it in. No published holding.

Was practicing the VOR A at Oceanside (OKB) with a friend, I was right seat safety pilot, and we did not break out at the MAP. We were at the right altitude, but no joy. Flew the missed, and actually started the procedure turn at VISTA when ATC gave us a vector back to MYF

Wife came and picked me and my student (Kenny Craig...shout out to Kenny). We paid in the form of the over-priced RDU Avgas and back out for more training the next morning. Here's another cool vid...

Back