I got reported to the FAA (not a ******* Satire)

Offhand it doesn't sound like a "full blown investigation."
We might have to disagree on my definition Mark, and that's ok.
If he is talking about needing a lawyer, if the FAA is asking to visit with him and they want to see any kind of documentation, if this thread exceeds 5 PAGES then it has our attention and is not a "quick looksee and case-closed".

If he is talking about needing a lawyer, if the FAA is asking to visit with him and they want to see any kind of documentation, if this thread exceeds 5 PAGES then it has our attention and is not a "quick looksee and case-closed".
Your argument went off the rails at “thread exceeds 5 pages”...there was just a multi page argument about whether you leave a prop horizontal or vertical...

I’m not quite sure why some of you are advocating a lawyer. Unless the FSDO is going to push any kind of certificate action, which it doesn’t appear that they are at this point, than there’s absolutely no reason to hire a lawyer for something so minute as this.

Our tendency to overanalyze and overreact to just about anything is hardly an objective test.

I don't know what actually happened and this is pure speculation, but based on my experience with the system, here is the most likely scenario.

1. Some moron took a post in jest as serious and called the FAA hotline to report it.

2. The call was referred to the local FSDO.

3. As required, the FSDO began to investigate it.

4. I guess there might be alternatives but it's kind of hard to investigate something without at least attempting to speak with the subject of the investigation. Most of the ones I know of would indeed be "overblown."

5. Speaking with the subject requires adherence to procedures mandated by the Pilots Bill of Rights.

If that meets your definition of "overblown," I guess it is.

I’m not quite sure why some of you are advocating a lawyer. Unless the FSDO is going to push any kind of certificate action, which it doesn’t appear that they are at this point, than there’s absolutely no reason to hire a lawyer for something so minute as this.
A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer. What does that say about someone who doesn't even know the system he is dealing with?

Or are you thinking getting a lawyer means getting ready to battle? It doesn't. It just means getting advice from someone who understands what is going on. On most of my cases, the FAA doesn't even know I'm involved.

A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer. What does that say about someone who doesn't even know the system he is dealing with?

Or are you thinking getting a lawyer means getting ready to battle? It doesn't. It just means getting advice from someone who understands what is going on. On most of my cases, the FAA doesn't even know I'm involved.
My reasoning is that at this point, the situation will hopefully just be a show-up, present your logbook while having a civil discussion and let them come to the conclusion that the allegation against Bryan is not true. Case closed and leave it at that—which I assume all it will amount too. If however, the FSDO decides to pursue certificate action, than hiring a lawyer to intervene would be necessary.

I think many here are blowing this well out of proportion and into something that it hasn’t come to...yet.

My reasoning is that at this point, the situation will hopefully just be a show-up, present your logbook while having a civil discussion and let them come to the conclusion that the allegation against Bryan is not true. Case closed and leave it at that—which I assume all it will amount too. If however, the FSDO decides to pursue certificate action, than hiring a lawyer to intervene would be necessary.

Have had too many clients who used it. Cost them more and I was less effective.

I think many here are blowing this well out of proportion and into something that it hasn’t come to...yet.
I agree many here may be blowing it out of proportion, but waiting until it is too late for a lawyer to have any ability to make a difference has never struck me as as the wisest strategy.

Have had too many clients who tried it.

I agree many here may be blowing it out of proportion, but waiting until it is too late for a lawyer to have any ability to make a difference has never struck me as as the wisest strategy.

Have had too many clients who tried it.

Agreed, but in post 48 Bryan said he has consulted an aviation attorney.

NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE.

Back when I was instructing I got a call from the FAA. Guy said he had a complaint that one of my students was flying around with his girlfriend on a student license. I had just flown with him the week before while his girlfriend rode in the back. I asked what was the date the incident occurred. It was the same day as our lesson. I asked if he wanted copies of my logbook and flight logs but he said no and we both agreed it was probably a jealous boyfriend who complained. That was the last I heard about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t read all five pages, and to Bryan: sorry for your troubles, sure it’ll all work out; and Happy Birthday.

But a more existential view prompts me to say once again: NOTHING GOOD EVER HAPPENS WHEN FACEBOOK IS INVOLVED.

Very sorry you have to walk barefoot through broken glass over this.

Another example why I don't use FB.

Grab the tools and back to doing real work.

I
AM
GOBSMACKED.
The level of rampant dumbazz that gets exhibited, daily, in the aviation community just freaking boggles the mind.
sixpapacharlie, hang tough.

I had a personal experience where the head of an un-named FSDO asked me how my infant daughter was doing. There was basically no way he could have known that unless he or someone else at the FSDO was trolling my Facebook page - which I also know was true. Got rid of FB for other personal reasons, but I've pretty much never regretted that decision.

That’s so far outside the scope of any aviation related investigation...I hope you told him never to mention your family again.

OK, I will 'fess up. Earlier this year, I flew a Cessna from KTMB to KSPG with absolutely no fuel in the aircraft. Took off with empty tanks and landed the same way.

Fuel is a myth propagated by the government...just ask the jet fuel guy...

That WOULD get him in trouble. 41cfr 102-74.420 is a misdemeanor. Videos are just a series of pictures. If it captured audio, well, now we are also into wiretap laws.

Just don't do it.
I just called Mr Aviation 101 who has gone through this multiple times.
He basically said what the last few have said. They have no choice but to investigate the complaint.
They will look at my logbook and send me on my way.

He said they may make the suggestion that I tone it down a bit.
If that is the case, then I will just let the FSDO guy know we may become good friends.

My plan is to answer his questions and let him do his job in hopes we can both get back to our real jobs.

Though I may wear my "world's greatest pilot" hat just so he knows.

The fact that you might have to “tone it down” (and I don’t disagree) is a testament to how upside-down this country has become.

Bryan,

Happy birthday and congratulations on the new job! Hope you are ignoring most of the “advice” in this thread. Sad to hear you are in this predicament and I believe this will be resolved very quickly in your favor.

Agreed, but in post 48 Bryan said he has consulted an aviation attorney.

Ohhhhh let me clarify.
I have a friend whom I called about non aviation related stuff.
As a side note I said hey here is this situation. Kinda weird. Kinda sad.

He said why doncha give my buddy a call and see if he has any tips.
Buddy happens to be an aviation attorney.
I didn't lawyer up or anything lie that.

Sorry if I gave that impression.

Fuel is a myth propagated by the government...just ask the jet fuel guy...
As a line service tech, I helped perpetuate the myth by driving "fuel" trucks up to airplanes. I doubt you have the security clearance to look inside a fuel truck but let me tell you, there's nothing in the tank but a really big fan.

The FSDO guy might be full of common sense. Might be. Just checking the boxes as dictated by some lame, poorly designed, policy. Maybe. Or, he might be looking for organizational payback for criticisms of the FAA, real and imagined, as directed from above. So lawyer up, as cheap insurance.

But do tell the ASI he is way, way out of line on any suggestions about curtailing your satire - that's protected speech, and I too would be happy to kick in a few C notes to get it in front of a judge. Hopefully it's all a non-event. . .

Someone mentioned your ticket isn't a right - maybe not in the strictest since, but as a practical matter, the FAA doesn't have a choice about issuance - you pass the test, checkride, and physical, they are obligated to issue - absent cause, they have no choice. Same for cert actions - and "cause" doesn't include satire, or criticism of the feds. Trying to imagine the reaction they'd get from a judge about an action based on satire.

You are the clueless sort aren’t you. You can’t even follow a simple conversation. I was replying to the following post.

Which was a reply to this post which brought up the videos.

But I guess it’s too complicated for you to grasp.

Besides, it isn’t up to you to decide what anyone, let alone me, decides to discuss on this thread or any other thread.

And if you don’t think the FAA already knows about the videos, you are even less bright than I thought.

Damn Dog, that’s a bit strong don’t ya think?

I'm seeing this start to spread to different aviation groups across the internet. I don't think this FSDO was ready to cross a genuine e-celeb... I suspect they're going to be getting some phone calls and emails.

Snitches get stitches.......seriously though, sounds like a ridiculous scenario. I'd say, once this thing washes over (as I certainly hope it does), OP stop trusting FB idiots to understand sarcasm. I post like one thing per year on social media, and it is generally a picture of my family doing something fun. Recommend severing all connections to social media at this point. It is not worth it, too many idiots.

Ohhhhh let me clarify.
I have a friend whom I called about non aviation related stuff.
As a side note I said hey here is this situation. Kinda weird. Kinda sad.

He said why doncha give my buddy a call and see if he has any tips.
Buddy happens to be an aviation attorney.
I didn't lawyer up or anything lie that.

Sorry if I gave that impression.
I've seen two very different definitions of "lawyer up." One is to consult with one for advice. The other is refuse to deal with authorities (or opposing parties if any kind) except through or with the presence of a lawyer.

Snitches get stitches.......seriously though, sounds like a ridiculous scenario. I'd say, once this thing washes over (as I certainly hope it does), OP stop trusting FB idiots to understand sarcasm. I post like one thing per year on social media, and it is generally a picture of my family doing something fun. Recommend severing all connections to social media at this point. It is not worth it, too many idiots.

I set most of my Facebook posts to only be visible to friends.

Damn Dog, that’s a bit strong don’t ya think?

Possibly... probably... but after seeing so many idiotic posts made on this thread and then to have one of my posts criticized for mentioning videos as if I had broached the subject when I was simply responding to a post that responded to a post about videos, I just had enough.

Maybe it's too late now for 6PC but in general, when one has looming legal trouble from a Facebook or other media post, shouldn't one never admit to making it? How would the FAA prove one's spouse or kid or a hacker didn't make that post? I'm not saying lie, I'm saying keep your mouth shut, don't even answer "yes" to the question "did you make this post?" unless your lawyer says you should.

Back